• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Discouraged

Hey everyone I am new to the group my name is Stacy I had the roux-en-y gastric bypass done on Jan 7th. I have only lost 55 pounds and I am very discouraged I feel like I am doing something wrong because I know some people that lost weight so fast and I feel like I should have lost more by now. I had trouble 3 weeks after my surgery I developed an ulcer and I couldn't keep anything down. I am doing better with that but my family keeps telling me I am not trying hard enough I am following what I was told. I would really loves some suggestions some ideas of what I can do and just wondering if anyone else experienced this also

thanks

Hi Stacy,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your surgery. You say that you have already lost 55 lbs? That is awesome. Your family should be proud of you instead of telling you things that are discouraging. I am glad that you are doing better since your ulcer. You should go back to your info that you got from your doctor and start from the beginning sounds like you hit a plateau. You will get back on track. Just remember your surgery is a weight loss tool and everyone is going to lose weight differently. Good luck and come back often there is always great info here.

TillieS

Hey everyone I am new to the group my name is Stacy I had the roux-en-y gastric bypass done on Jan 7th. I have only lost 55 pounds and I am very discouraged I feel like I am doing something wrong because I know some people that lost weight so fast and I feel like I should have lost more by now. I had trouble 3 weeks after my surgery I developed an ulcer and I couldn't keep anything down. I am doing better with that but my family keeps telling me I am not trying hard enough I am following what I was told. I would really loves some suggestions some ideas of what I can do and just wondering if anyone else experienced this also

thanks

Hi Stacy! WELCOME to the Forum!!!!

If you have lost 55 lb since Jan.7th then you are doing fantastic! That would be 55lb in 6 weeks. That would be an amazing amount of weight lost very fast. Did you lose some of it pre surgery? You didn't put all your excess weight on in 6 wks and you're not going to lose it all in 6 wks. Most people will hit a plateau every so often while your body adjusts to the lost weight and then you will start to lose again. This is very normal. How much weight you lose also depends on how heavy you started at, a heavier weight person can drop weight faster than a lighter weight person, at least that is what a bariatric surgeon who was being interviewed on tv said. It also would be benificial if you could fill more information out on your profile.

Good Luck on your weight loss journey. With the R-N-Y surgery, you should lose 90% of your excess weight within the first year. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

thanks

Welcome.

You are doing fine.

You will lose weight and your experience will be different than others.

I also would like to see your complete profile so we can make better statements and advice to you.

Lets put it this way to you, I have lost now 63 pounds in 3 1/2 months. I have experienced about 3 weight plateaus already where the weight loss stalled for 3 days or more. In fact, over the last two days my weight popped up 3 pounds. I know this is the body doing whatever the body wants to do. I stick to the program. I make sure I get my protein. I limit myself to 1200 calories. I don't worry. The accomplishments will go well beyond my weight loss. I do this for everyone that focuses on weight loss only. Here are my accomplishments to date.

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 

My message to you is this is a lot more about lifestyle change and happiness and healthiness that goes well beyond the weight loss by itself. Start keeping track of accomplishments. Start thinking of things that you couldn't do and start documenting new accomplishments as they occur. Compare your current weight to when was the last time I weighed this LITTLE !!

Watch those clothes get loose. Treat yourself to some new clothes as you lose weight; not a lot mind you since you will lose more but buy something special now and then based on the weight you currently are at.

You are doing fine.

Ralph

Hello Again,

I wanted to show you my weight chart and all of its ups, downs and plateaus.

Go to the top of the page and click on Gallery and select Latest Albums.

Click on Dancinbr Weight Chart February 21, 2014.

Then click on the picture again and get an enlarged view of the picture. Look at my chart. It goes up, down, side ways. But notice the trend it heads down.

In fact, just click on this link right here >>> http://www.americanbariatrics.org/album.php?albumid=9009&attachmentid=833

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hello Again,

I wanted to show you my weight chart and all of its ups, downs and plateaus.

Go to the top of the page and click on Gallery and select Latest Albums.

Click on Dancinbr Weight Chart February 21, 2014.

Then click on the picture again and get an enlarged view of the picture. Look at my chart. It goes up, down, side ways. But notice the trend it heads down.

In fact, just click on this link right here >>> http://www.americanbariatrics.org/album.php?albumid=9009&attachmentid=833

Best wishes,

Ralph

Great Weight Loss Chart, Ralph! AWESOME!!!!! :)

Cheyenne

I didn't loose any before surgery I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong I follow everything that I am supposed too. its just frustrating

Hi CashBaby Why are you discourage ..I had my surgery on 22 of jan 13 for several months I only lost very very little..was the pancreas..was so insulin resistant took that long for my body to even know it had had bypass surgery! Last april I joined TOPS to help me even though I was hardly eating anything...and wham..started loosing like 12 pounds in one week! You can not be overeating..or you didn't have the same surgery I had...athough I only weighed 188 pounds at my surgery...its been a month over the year and I am at 100 pounds..haven't weighed that since 8th grade...I am 5 3 and should be weighing 119 to 12 the charts say! So you will continue to loose weight let it go slowly no hurry to get down there you got the rest of your life! Good luck....abbie

Ralph, Why are there 2 lines on the chart?

I am terrible with colors, but the "blue" line is the actual weight. The "green or yellow" line is the trend line.

By the way, this morning my weight is 223.6. So the bump up over the last few days is an anamoly. For whatever reason sometimes my body decides to hold water and then gives it up again. I noticed that yesterday I was visiting the bathroom more often and dumping water.

Ralph

wow 50+ lbs in 6 weeks that is awesome. Take it from someone that lost 19 lbs the first 6 weeks you are doing fine. The thing is this isn't a magic fix all bullet. You have to get your liquids and protein. The second you can you start moving and keep moving. It has been 8 months since surgery for me and I am 82 lbs. You know what I am beyond happy with this, yes there are others that loose faster but I know that I am following the plan and working out 5+ hours per week. If you are doing everything you can start looking in the mirror and telling yourself how awesome you are. The only thing negative thoughts will do it bring you down and move you toward eating. My only suggestion for you is to look at the big picture. 55 lbs in six weeks can anyone else in you family say that because most who had the surgery can't say they had that kind of SUCCESS. Best wishes

I didn't loose any before surgery I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong I follow everything that I am supposed too. its just frustrating
Like I think it was Ralph said? Start focusing on the THINGS you CAN do now..and stop worrying about the weight loss how fast or how slow its coming off...it didn't get there in a year and its NOT all going to come off in a year! A woman in the TOPS Magazine had her bypass in 2006 I believe it was? This last year 2013 she has lost 300 pounds finally...it took her that long to get her weight off...she had a horrible struggle with some surgeries included! BUT she did it and so can you! Hang in there and start thinking about the good things...! abbie

What you have to remember is that everyone reacts differently to everything. What you should focus on is doing what your physicians tell you to do. I went four months without losing a pound. Iw as convinced I was doing something wrong, but all of the sudden I just started losing again. I know a girl that had surgery two months after I did and she has already met and surpassed her goal weight by about 25 pounds in about 8 months time. Me on the other hand am still about 15 pounds from my goal weight which I was told that I should expect to surpass int he first year, My year is May 6th and I honestly do not feel as though I will surpass my goal weight before then. However I distinctly remember the dietician telling me that I should expect to reach my goal weight within the first TWO years after surgery. So although some people exceed their goal, I am not going to let it discourage me. I am losing about 2 maybe 3 pounds a month at this point. Is this normal? I do not know but I know I am still losing weight, it may not be as fast as others, but my goal was to reach a desired weight with in 2 years and I am about 15 pounds from that 9 months in. good luck!

What you have to remember is that everyone reacts differently to everything. What you should focus on is doing what your physicians tell you to do. I went four months without losing a pound. Iw as convinced I was doing something wrong, but all of the sudden I just started losing again. I know a girl that had surgery two months after I did and she has already met and surpassed her goal weight by about 25 pounds in about 8 months time. Me on the other hand am still about 15 pounds from my goal weight which I was told that I should expect to surpass int he first year, My year is May 6th and I honestly do not feel as though I will surpass my goal weight before then. However I distinctly remember the dietician telling me that I should expect to reach my goal weight within the first TWO years after surgery. So although some people exceed their goal, I am not going to let it discourage me. I am losing about 2 maybe 3 pounds a month at this point. Is this normal? I do not know but I know I am still losing weight, it may not be as fast as others, but my goal was to reach a desired weight with in 2 years and I am about 15 pounds from that 9 months in. good luck!

Excellent post.

This is also why I don't have a goal weight. My doctor hasn't even discussed a goal weight. I anticipate that sometime this year I will finally get below 200 pounds; something I haven't seen since the late 1970s. Just think about that a weight I haven't seen in over 40 years !!! I will be there or close by the end of this year. My goal is something under 200. The body will figure out what weight it should be. Will it be 190 or 180 or even my high school graduation weight of 167 (ugh) ??? I don't know. I know 167 was a bit too thin for me.

In any event it will be fantastic. The benefits I have seen beyond weight loss are wonderful and I believe I posted them earlier in this thread.

Your weight loss is awesome. Do NOT allow anyone to make you feel bad...

Have any of these people had to loose more than 10 or 20 pounds much less over 50 to a 100 pounds? If not, then they need to seriously step back and step off of the criticism.

Also the higher your starting weight the higher your initial weight loss will be... Relax and take it day by day...

Your doing awesome.. I know I am a WLS person as well.... :)

Welcome.

You are doing fine.

You will lose weight and your experience will be different than others.

I also would like to see your complete profile so we can make better statements and advice to you.

Lets put it this way to you, I have lost now 63 pounds in 3 1/2 months. I have experienced about 3 weight plateaus already where the weight loss stalled for 3 days or more. In fact, over the last two days my weight popped up 3 pounds. I know this is the body doing whatever the body wants to do. I stick to the program. I make sure I get my protein. I limit myself to 1200 calories. I don't worry. The accomplishments will go well beyond my weight loss. I do this for everyone that focuses on weight loss only. Here are my accomplishments to date.

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 

My message to you is this is a lot more about lifestyle change and happiness and healthiness that goes well beyond the weight loss by itself. Start keeping track of accomplishments. Start thinking of things that you couldn't do and start documenting new accomplishments as they occur. Compare your current weight to when was the last time I weighed this LITTLE !!

Watch those clothes get loose. Treat yourself to some new clothes as you lose weight; not a lot mind you since you will lose more but buy something special now and then based on the weight you currently are at.

You are doing fine.

Ralph
HI , you also help me thank you

thanks
You are doing great, keep it up, remember you can't pick your family, only your friends and I hope you have some good ones that are there for you to help you feel better about yourself, if not then we are here for you, and like others have said it's not always about the number on the scale, there are alot of nonscale victories to look for

thanks
That is awesome!! You are doing enough! I just had mine on may 2nd. And I was getting discouraged because I was on a plateau for at least two weeks. But I decided not to weigh every day. But I know that I'm following plan Dr has me on so it will get better. Keep up the good work and don't give up

thanks
Hey Stacy I know how you feel. I had my surgery (the sleeve) in ajune and found that I only lost about twenty pounds. I was told that if you are not as heavy as someone else's starting weight you may not put up those big #. It has been very discouraging, but hang in there the choice you made to have the surgery was one of preservance. You preserved though the surgery and you can keep making the best choices after. Hope this helps.

Back