• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Doubts on WLS after success on liquid diet - seeking advice!

dragonfly11

Hello All,

My doctor had me lost a total of FORTY SIX pounds on the liquid diet before he was willing to do the gastric bypass. Now that I'm down 48, I have a date set. Today I woke up with my first real doubts about the surgery. SHOULD I GO THROUGH WITH ALL THE POSSIBLE PROBLEMS when I could do this instead? I worry about both - long term, I could fail at either. So unsure on what to do. I was widowed very young and I have two kids who can't afford to lose me. This decision affects them as much as me. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

good morning Dragonfly,

No one can decide that for you. Personally, I think a liquid diet isn't healthy or realistic to remain on for as long as it would take to lose all the weight you want to lose. The benefits of WLS are enormous from helping with and curing some chronic conditions like hypertension, diabetes, arthritis among others. It is a forever thing and remember it is only a tool. You have to work at it. Will you maintain the weight loss if you continue as you are right now or will you start the old habits again? Of course that can happen either way but you will be healthier and eating more healthily with WLS. You want to be around for your children to watch them grow up and I can understand the dilemma. What it boils down to is will you do it better with WLS or without WLS. I am personally a big fan of WLS although I realize it isn't a panacea. So many success stories here in the forum. Good luck on your journey.

I know i tried all sorts of diets and diet drinks and would lose quite well but it always came back plus a few more pounds so for me WLS was definitely the answer and due to my age the doctor chose a lapband which is what I wanted anyway. It is much slower.

Joy

Hi dragonfly!

I just had my surgery on Tuesday. I think I'm doing great. I just began to lose the weight I gained from the surgery and already feel so much better. I must be one of the lucky ones as I don't really have pain. I have discomfort and gas pressure, but I wouldn't call it pain. I am sore, much like pulling a muscle. I had 3 c sections and I did well with them. They were worse than this and my youngest is almost 24. I expected worse.

I was widowed at 40, so I understand your concerns. I'd keep doing what the doctor says. You can always postpone. Yes it's scary. Especially as it gets closer. I had a melt down the day of surgery. I think if I didn't feel at odds something would be wrong. Hang in there, the answer will come to you. Plus you can't have just liquids for the rest of your life. Take care

Penelope and Joy, thank you so much for your time, encouragement and advice. I know only I can decide in the end, but it is so helpful to get the wisdom and experiences others have to share. I'm down over 51 lbs at last check and really readying myself for 12/4. I know in my heart it is the right thing for me to do. Worry keeps sneaking in, but I know in my core.

Dragonfly, I lost 30 pounds on the Liquid Diet and my wife said maybe I should just stick to the liquids only and not have the surgery. I thought about it and remembered all the diets that worked for a while and then failed because I went back to old habits. I realized then that WLS is a chance to really break old habits and reboot my body. So I went ahead with the surgery and 4 weeks post op, am very happy I did. I'm reaching the point where I'll begin reintroducing solid food. I have decided that I will introduce the good food, there will be no cakes, cookies, fast food, etc. I'm working on new habits and I believe that I will lose more in the long run and will keep it off.

Any time I have doubts I take a look at a picture of my 5 year old grandson, he is my motivation and keeps me on the right track any time I've had doubts. Take your time, be honest with yourself and you'll make the right choice for you.

Dragonfly , I to got scared about my surgery, but I'm 6 weeks out and have lost 52 lb, I have tried every fad diet out there and I would lose and then gain that back plus 10 more, not many people get a second chance at life and I'm so excited to take control of my new life with my family, my son said to meth other day, mom you lost so much weight you look so good, made my heart melt, I will be able to do so much with my family, my husband has a motorcycle and my goal is to ride with him next spring , you need to look at all the positives and no negatives, I wish great luck in your journey, please stay with us and let us go on this journey with you:)

I find all your support so incredibly comforting and validating. I know in my heart that the surgery is the right way for me to go. I think anxiety surfaces and causes me to question it often, but in my heart...my kids are scared of the surgery (they lost their dad to cancer when they were very young), but I tell them it's because I want to live that I'm doing this (the irony!). I think they're starting to accept it more and as for me, I'm plowing ahead to my 12/4 surgery date - taking all the right steps and so I know, in the end, I will do what it is right. I will keep you all posted as you inspire me, each one, with your own experiences and pieces of wisdom. Thanks so much!

Back