• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eating out

BettyM

What does everyone do if people your with want to go to a buffet or to a
Local pizza place where they have nothing but pizza. A big group of people.

Thanks, I'm almost a year out, about a month short of a year. I don't eat pizza anymore but I guess I could eat veggies off the top of pizza. Not much protein in that meal though. The buffet is really concerning because I don't like the idea of paying for a huge buffet when all I'm going to eat for example is one egg and one slice of toast, or a small pice of chicken and a few veggies if a dinner buffet.

Thanks, I'm almost a year out, about a month short of a year. I don't eat pizza anymore but I guess I could eat veggies off the top of pizza. Not much protein in that meal though. The buffet is really concerning because I don't like the idea of paying for a huge buffet when all I'm going to eat for example is one egg and one slice of toast, or a small pice of chicken and a few veggies if a dinner buffet.

I am one year out from surgery. My nutritionist says I can eat anything in small amounts. When we get pizza, which is seldom, I eat one piece with whatever I like on it such as ham, pineapple, tomatoes and green peppers. If I'm eating out then I eat from the salad bar too. Keep in mind my stomach size is very small and I never finish anything I eat, I eat slowly and stop when I'm full. Thats the key to the whole thing.

A small amount of any kind of food will not bother your weight loss if you stop when you are full and don't eat it too often. A piece of pizza every 3 months will not ruin your diet. If you ate it every day, yes it would hurt your weight loss. Before my bariatric surgery, I would eat really fast and I could eat several pieces of pizza easily. Now, you couldn't pay me to do that cause it just wouldn't fit in my stomach, period. I didn't go through surgery to stretch my tummy out.

Good luck,

Cheyenne :)

I agree with Cheyenne I had the surgery to shrink my stomach not to re expand it. I used to love pizza now I can't even eat it. It just grosses me out now along with a lot of other food. I would just pick some toppings off the top and eat that maybe have a small salad just watch what you eat. Good luck James.

l learned yesterday that Shoney's has a bariatric price of $4 for their buffet. I thought that was a good idea and wondered if other restaurants might be doing the same thing.
Whenever I go to restaurants (not often), I order something grilled with vegetables and ask for a "to go" container immediately. I fill the container with about 2/3 of the food before I start eating.

Back