• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Embarrassing problems with gas .

As I have been doing a lot of reading one complaint that several articles have stated was many people have problem with excess gas after weight loss surgery . Some people have states this can be very embarrassing .
Have many had this problem . Have you found anything to help.. Will be seeing my doctor on Jan. 15. All my clearances and insurance approval are completed . Lots of questions running through my mind .

This is one problem I did not have. No gas after surgery at all and none when I got home either. I must be very weird I guess because most everyone else seems to have had gas coming out both ends of the body right after surgery. I did have a sore shoulder a few days after surgery and the literature I got at the hospital said shoulder pain is from the gas used at surgery, working its way up through the shoulder trying to escape the body. Why the gas didn't exit through easier normal channels is a mystery to me. Lol.. :)

I have gas depending on what I have eaten. I am seeing that it is based on where I am at the healing point.

2 weeks ago I tried some broccoli and went straight into fluffing. Had broccoli last night and had no issues.

I read somewhere that post RNY people have a higher likely hood suffer food intolerances due to healing, swelling and lowered gastric acid production. It does clear up as time goes on. Healing and time seem to help a lot.

OH the burping and the gas. My wife is now very tolerant of my burping at the table. I do it as quietly as I can every few bites or so. However, the gas oh the gas. If I feel it coming on, I quickly excuse myself and exit the room to some "unoccupied by human beings" area and let it all out! :) You got to laugh at some of this. Sometimes the odors could kill!

We could be driving along in the car :)-) ) and I have a need to expel and I know it is bad when my wife looks over at me and opens all the windows. It wouldn't matter if we were driving in a blizzard the windows are opened.

So, it is something we all deal with (well almost all of us Cheyenne) and it does diminish over time; or so I am told.

OH the burping and the gas. My wife is now very tolerant of my burping at the table. I do it as quietly as I can every few bites or so. However, the gas oh the gas. If I feel it coming on, I quickly excuse myself and exit the room to some "unoccupied by human beings" area and let it all out! :) You got to laugh at some of this. Sometimes the odors could kill!

We could be driving along in the car :)-) ) and I have a need to expel and I know it is bad when my wife looks over at me and opens all the windows. It wouldn't matter if we were driving in a blizzard the windows are opened.

So, it is something we all deal with (well almost all of us Cheyenne) and it does diminish over time; or so I am told.

LOL, Ralph we have rules in our car too... If you fluff you roll your window down ASAP so as not to kill anyone, LOL...

Post Bariatric gas changes all of the olds rules about "Silent but deadly". LOL, they are all deadly now, LOL.

LOL .. Had not had surgery yet .had pork and sauerkraut for New Years .. And too much "Fluffing " after . I know that will be on my do not even try to eat list !!!

Dont forget the loose stools as well as the gas...its awful...all of it....loose weight the right way and dont have the damn surgery!!!! Just saying!

Dont forget the loose stools as well as the gas...its awful...all of it....loose weight the right way and dont have the damn surgery!!!! Just saying!

Everyone is different. I have no gas and no loose stools. I actually tend to be constipated especially when I'm eating a lot of protein and very little carbs, really almost none. Ive added a little more carbs in my diet lately and it helps move things along much better but we will see what it does to my weight loss. I love that I had weight loss surgery. I have never felt better in my life! However, I never, ever miss my vitamins or calcium supplements. I think that makes a big difference.

I am almost 15 months post surgery and still have gas issues. I've tried lots of things, so far no success. So far it hasn't caused any embarrassing moments.

Frank

:cool:

Funny, I had more gas issues pre surgery than post (almost one month out). I had R N Y and I'm on fork friendly, still afraid to work in carbs so when I do maybe I'll be chasing my wife out of the room! Great topic, laughed my way through.

Back