• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Evening problems

Hope that all are having a great Christmas. During the daytime I have no problem with drinking broth, water, protein drink, pudding etc. In the evening its like I can eat and when I do the broth or pudding it sets right at the top of my stomach. What can I do differently in order to correct this problem.

Hope that all are having a great Christmas. During the daytime I have no problem with drinking broth, water, protein drink, pudding etc. In the evening its like I can eat and when I do the broth or pudding it sets right at the top of my stomach. What can I do differently in order to correct this problem.

Are you eating and laying down or going to bed? I have never heard of this. Hope it gets better!

It doesn't matter what I do I drink maybe 3-4 swallows of protein shake or what ever I am having and I can't do anymore. I feel so overly full and uncomfortable. Really getting hard to handle. Can't stand the smell of food. ugh

Oh Nov just looked at your post. I do this some days I had mine in Oct 22. I guess it just takes a while for your stomach to adjust, but not every day this happens. You will get sick. Got to try to get in down. Call your doctor office & tell them. They gave me promethazine and it helps a lot. Call and ask for it. It helped me get pass that. Its used in the hospital under another name. Good luck

IT is Phenergin it is an antihistamine used for nausea. IT can make you very tired however. I would like to eat without use of meds. I just want to get in the amt of proteins I should be getting in and fluids as well. I think if I had blood work it would show dehydration and very low protein so have to come up with some solutions. I am going to call my doc on Monday to see if hte nutritionist has any ideas!

Darn sorry you guys are having problems with your food/fluids. The only thing i have problems with at times is gas getting between my food or food feels like it getting lodged. Don't know how to describe it! I try to (sorry for being frank) but burp and take a time out then the feeling passes! I hate that and it is uncomfy and scary at times. I work in Endoscopy and i would hate to be the patient with food stuck, would be very embarrasing cause we all know the drill chew chew chew and eat slow. I am doing something right with a 43 pound weight loss in less than 2 months! Hope we all are great loosers in the new year! Michele

I have times where I cannot eat but can almost always drink as long as I sip and I do mean sip about a teaspoon and a half at one time. It goes down well. I tolerate the protein shakes but do have to sip them too. I don't care if it takes me an hour to drink one and I use many different recipes. Also I never realized how important it is to chew your food. If I don't I get that feeling like a rock is stuck in the middle of my sternum and it takes quite a while for that to abate. That happens when I forget to chew. I don't tolerate turkey, pork chops, or bar b q, yet. So it is mainly chicken, fish, eggs, and a small piece of steak. I do most soups well. Sandie, have you tried any soups? Can you mix your shakes 1/2 strength instead of full strength or add some skim milk to them. Chili goes down well for me. My band tends to be tight in the morning and also seems to be affected by the weather. Some days I can only drink but not often and on those days I do use the shakes. Another thing I forget to do is to make my meal last thirty minutes and often finish in about twenty minutes.

Of course the band is different from RNY and I can tolerate some things RNY patients cannot and RNY patients can tolerate things I can't. I really like the fruity protein shakes sold on this site. They are clear and very tasty and only have 2 Grams of carbs per serving.

Sunshine, maybe you are one of those people who can't eat at night or evenings. Try the sip sip sip though.

I do sip sip sip but I get full too easily since maybe have taken in 3-4 sips in 15 minutes and I am full. Protein is a big problem. Today for lunch I rolled up two small pieces of cold cut chicken with one piece of thinly sliced Jarlesburg light cheese and put a little mustard on it and ate it, went down well but now full to the gills. The chicken is sliced at the deli counter and sliced very thin. Putting mustard on it makes it taste much better. Drinking is SLOW, one bottle of water a day. I wish it only took me a 1/2 hour to eat a meal. I was 3 hours trying to get the small yogurt in and then only ate half of it, threw away the rest!

It sounds like maybe you guys are eating too fast...eat slowly....and chew more....don't drink with food...take your time...it's hard sometimes...but the pressure/full feeling you feel is probably from that. It's worth taking your time. Hope this helps

Jules, thanks for your reply. I WISH the problem ws eating too fast and not chewing more. 1/4 cup of cottage cheese can take and hour to eat and then there is some left. WHY? because I feel totally full after a half teaspoon full. I sip on fluids and small sips and after about two I again feel full. I wait 45 min after "eating" to drink fluids. I am hoping that the cause is just swelling from surgery but it is 4 weeks today that I had the surgery. Should be long enough to be feeling less full all the time. AT first I felt hungry and was suprised because I thought hunger would not be an issue, NOW I am wishing for hunger. One must be careful for what they wish for. I guess if this continues will contact the Doctor's office on Wednesday after the holiday. I am dehydrated I am sure, not losing weight at all and in fact scale shows I gained a pound from yesterday to today. Go figure.

Back