• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First time here

Kaysone

Hello! I'm Kay, new to the site, and the bariatric world....I haven't had my surgery yet, things keep getting pushed back due to my own mistakes. Any advice on how to get my head in the game? I'm excited to read everyone's stories, and the goods and the bads in this life long journey.

Great question Kaysone. I haven't had my surgery yet either. I can't wait to hear what our experienced members have to say. In my journey, I have tried to imagine having all ready had the surgery and what it would be like to eat or cook for my family. I'm not sure how 'feeling full' will feel like because I am always hungry. I can't wait to not be eating all the time.

Hi RedMama
I can relate to you I could not wait for my surgery I was exciting about it and imagine what it will feel like after to not being hungry all the timeor how I was going to be able to cook for my family, it is easier than I expected I can cook for my fam and still eat what I am able to eat I find out I am not always hungry and I get satisfied on little it happen for me it will happen for you too. The first few weeks seem wierd but my body adjust to my new lifestyle very fast some food don't taste the same but some taste very good cottage cheese , spinach, cucumber sushi wow taste so good. My day now is like this when I wake up I drink my protien drink or a green juice made with swpinach cucumbers carrots and apple and take all my vitamins and mineral about an hour later I have my coffee I sip on liquid until about 11:30am I have lunch in my baby bowl I fix a salad consist of baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumber with vinegriate dressing and 1 ounce of fish or 3 chrimp I use to do grill chichen but I can't seem to keep that down about 30 minutes later I sip on sugar free crytal light and sip water until about 5:00pm I will have dinner 1/4 cup steam brocoli, 2oz grill talapia 30 minutes later a cup of hot tea. Sometimes Ilate night snack is a hot cup of tea is not easy but became easier after a few days.

Joygirl55;)

Hello! I'm Kay, new to the site, and the bariatric world....I haven't had my surgery yet, things keep getting pushed back due to my own mistakes. Any advice on how to get my head in the game? I'm excited to read everyone's stories, and the goods and the bads in this life long journey.

Hi Kaysone,

I am 7+ months post op.

Here are my accomplishments to date:

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. They are tight but they closed! (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)

So, stop sabotaging yourself and learn to adjust to the new way of life and quite frankly for me I truly believe I bought bake life.

Many of you out on this forum are young. I am 70.

I truly believe I would not have gotten through my 70s had I not done something to correct my current health issues.

My accomplishments above clearly show all the benefits I am now enjoying by having my gastric bypass and also give me incentive to maintain this way of life so I can enjoy life for a bit longer on Earth!

Ralph

get a to do list
set goals and check them off
attend support meetings
look yourself in the mirror and admit to yourself that you are worth the effort and work
remember it is not a punishment it is a god sent

Thank you

Thank you for all of the kind words and advice. Everyone is so amazing and so inspiring. Ralph, I copied your list accomplishments and put them on my refrigerator. I can't wait until I can begin checking things off the list.
Thank you so much!!
Kay

Back