• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First week post-op

catmom

Hi I'm new here, looking for some insight and others experiences. I'm one week today post-op from gastric bypass and I have been miserable. Constant horrid reflux, feel like I gave a bowling ball in my stomach and I'm doing the diet, full Iiquids. I can't get more than one protein shake down a day, and only about half the water required. It just won't go. Called doctor he said just keep trying. Has anyone else felt this? Is this typical?

I am so sorry you are feeling so miserable!! It is very hard to meet the liquid and protein requirements for the first few weeks. I suggest adding some clear liquid protein if you can. My team kept me on clear liquids for a week.

You just had surgery and the re-routed your digestive tract as well as removed/displaced a large part of a major organ. You were also pumped full of gas, so they can see to do those things. So, you're full of gas, swollen, have stitches or staples holding your internal wounds closed and together. AND you can't eat. Dude! Give yourself some time to heal.

Do the best you can. Sip your water. Such small sips!! Annoyingly, "Is my mouth even wet?!?" sips. The reflux feeling will get better when the swelling goes down and you have a little more room to hold the liquids. As long as your urine is light yellow to clear, you are hydrated. If it gets to a darker yellow or cloudy, call the doctor. Otherwise, hang in there. I'm sorry it sucks for you now but it will get better fairly quickly.

Hi I'm new here, looking for some insight and others experiences. I'm one week today post-op from gastric bypass and I have been miserable. Constant horrid reflux, feel like I gave a bowling ball in my stomach and I'm doing the diet, full Iiquids. I can't get more than one protein shake down a day, and only about half the water required. It just won't go. Called doctor he said just keep trying. Has anyone else felt this? Is this typical?
I'm so sorry you're struggling so much. I found at first I did better splitting up the times I did the protein shakes. I certainly didn't get 1 down all at once. The water should get better. Definitely try for the small sips and look at if you do better with really cold water or room temp water. For me cold water has been the best. Have they prescribed you anything for the reflux?

Definitely bug the hell out of your team. They've heard everything, and they probably have a variety of solutions for you. I think sometimes we feel like failures because it's really hard to conceptualize what is going to happen after surgery, except the much-awaited weight loss. I haven't heard anyone having serious reflux, so I would definitely call the team and mention that. Everything else will get better by the day, but reflux an be caused by other things, and it's usually a pre-surgical problem. Anyone else here who had bad reflux AFTER surgery?

I'm so sorry you're struggling so much. I found at first I did better splitting up the times I did the protein shakes. I certainly didn't get 1 down all at once. The water should get better. Definitely try for the small sips and look at if you do better with really cold water or room temp water. For me cold water has been the best. Have they prescribed you anything for the reflux?
Yes omeprazole and more recent pepcid which has helped tremendously.

Oh that does sound miserable, sorry you're struggling so much. I also had bypass and I've a couple episodes of heartburn and reflux, but nothing constant. I'm glad the pepcid is helping. When I struggled with liquids popsicles and ice chips saved me. I've also frozen some protein shakes and eaten them by letting small bites melt in my mouth. Hope you feel better soon.

Hey everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out because I'm interested in purchasing backlinks for my website. If anyone from the site administration is open to this, please feel free to shoot me a message.

I'm willing to pay for quality links, and I can provide examples of the kind of links I'm looking for. Here are a few examples:

Hajirau Kimi ga Mitainda Ep. 63
DMCA

If you're interested or have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me via private message. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks a bunch!

Back