• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frustrating and Emotional week!

Dreamz64

Hi there, Just need to talk to somebody that understands what I am feeling. I went to my PCP Monday and he told me that he couldn't order the blood work, overnight oximetry test and gave me what I would call a "half assed" letter of medical necessity to be sent into my insurance co. for approval of my surgery. (It was just a copy of my last 3 office visits). I called my surgeons office and they are going to order the tests, but of course that puts me back a few weeks........

On top of that I have been having an absolute terrible time finding protein shakes that I can get down and keep down. ( I haven't eaten breakfast or lunch for over 30 yrs, so my surgeon has me drinking 6-8 oz of protein shakes for those 2 meals to jump start my system and get it on a regular eating schedule prior to my surgery)

I have gone back and forth all week long wondering whether I could really do this or not. Between the delay with my testing and the nasty, gnarly protein shake disasters, Ive been having thoughts like... How will I never eat a Hoffman hotdog again, How will I never eat an ice cream twist ever again? and then I kick myself in the butt, look in the full length mirror (shudder), and think back to what it was like watching my mom have 3 heart attacks, 7-10 bouts of congested heart failure, heart bypass surgery, the roto touter, stints and of course her final fight with CHF in 09' when I had to say good bye to my rock! One of my main reasons for wanting to do this is so my kids NEVER have to go through with me or see me the way I saw my mother over nearly 20 yrs . (the middle of the night phone calls, the calls from her life line necklace etc etc.

I have found these emotional roller coasters to be EXHAUSTING.......Are they normal pre surgery concerns, or was the psychiatrist that cleared me a quack??

Thanks so much to everyone in the group.....You are an amazing group of people and I am very fortunate to be able to call you my virtual friends! :)

Kelly

DREAMZ-If you really want to know how many posts have been made regarding the "emotional rollercoaster ride" most of us go through just go to each forum and type it into the search box; I'm thinkin' there are several hunderd. Rest assured what you are going through is PERFECTLY normal. I'm wondering if your PCP didn't order the bloodwork because he may not know exactly what is required for WLS and thought it was best left to the expert, your surgeon. If the letter of medical necessity is rejected by your insurance then your surgeon just needs to call him and explain what is required. The person who does the insurance coordination at your surgeon's office is an expert in this area and knows EXACTLY what is required and knows how to go about getting it. You have a wealth of valuable resources at your fingertips so please try not to get discouraged.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey. Make sure you keep us posted.

Hi Dreamz64

I think everyone has doubts. I cannot speak for others but I am on my third surgeon due to insurance problems. The first surgeon accepted my insurance but the hospital did not. The second surgeon said he accepted the insurance then I was told they needed $12000 up front. They would file my claims but wanted everything up front and when the insurance paid they would send me a refund. UMM nope! Now I have someone I trust and has stellar results. My PCP didn't want to write the letter of necessity until I did 6 more months of weight loss with him. So I had to find another PCP. Everything is working out now except I am out of days to take off work so I go in for my appointment to make a surgery date May 15. In all the emotions are common at least I hope they are.
I have found that the only brand of protein shake I care for is Unjury. The have a strawberry sorbet shake that is like drinking cool-aid. If you pour a packet of vanilla into coffee it is a late. Keep trying the the sample packs and you are sure to find something you like.

I hope that you do what is best for you. Just know we all face those questions.
Best wishes

Sharon

I had gone through the same emotional roller coaster...and I think with each defeat, comes a later bravo. Do what is best for you, for your life, and your health. Just know food is just food, life is so much more rewarding. I just came home and I am emotional now too. hugs!

Hi Kelly,

I really like the Unjury shakes. They mix well in water, milk, and crystal lite. One of my favs is Unjury vanilla, one scoop,half a banana and one cup of fat free milk mixed in the blender. Then I let it sit to get the air out of it. Often have that for breakfast as I am not a breakfast eater. (with the band like I have, I am really tight int he morning anyway so a shake is the answer). Unjury has lots of great recipes. Another one I like is the premixed Premier shakes that I get at Sam's, I especially like the chocolate. Most of the others I have tried either do not mix well, or seem to be too thick for my taste. Some of the fruitier, clear shakes sold on this site are very tasty but I don't know how they would do with RNY. My band seems to like them just fine and I like the taste. I like a variety, I get tired of all one brand. Good luck in finding one you really like and enjoy. I have a horrible gag reflex so I was happy to find Unjury (also recommended and carried by my Bariatric Center). Joy

Hi again,

The emotional roller coaster is normal as well. We have all been there. It is worth it. Good luck on your journey.Joy

you can do this! just hang in there take it one day at a time, it will get better and before you know it you and your family will be well on our way to better health.

Just wanna put out there, that all the things I went through to get this surgery, finally getting it, having complications, and now wondering if I did the right thing... I wouldn't change it for the world <3 I have a new lease on life. And I have a whole new book to write, hell with the new chapter. This chick is taking on the world!!!

Stay positive hunny! *hugs*

THANK YOU all sooooo much!! I am having a much better week, have found that I can tolerate the Body Fortress Whey shakes as long as I dont use my shaker or my hand held mixer. I think it was the 1-2 inches of warm, dead froth that was what I was getting before getting to the nice cold shake. By stirring it with a spoon and adding ice, its just perfect!! (phewwww!)

I have also been going for walks on a regular basis and feel pretty good afterwords. ( arthritis in hips and feet take a beating, but its a reminder as to WHY its so important to get this weight off.)

I am mentally a few steps closer to being 100% ready than I was last week :eek:

Again..............THANK YOU!!!

Back