• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gallbladder Problems caused by Bariatric Surgery???

Cheyenne

I went to the hospital emergency room a couple weeks ago for severe stomach pains. They admitted me for 3 days. They did tests and said I had Pancreatitis caused by my severly inflamed gallbladder. I then felt better, they think I passed some stones. The doctors said it was most likely caused by my bariatric surgery and I will need to have my gallbladder removed. Even if it was, I am still thankful I had the bariatric surgery. I feel wonderful having lost a good amount of weight since the surgery. I still have a lot more to lose but I am on my way. I am almost 5 months out. My question is, has anyone else had a problem with their gallbladder after sugery? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Heres my feeling on gallbladder issues, weight and bariatric surgery..

The standard saying in medicine for gallbladder issues if the 3F's: Female, Fat and over 40...
So no matter what, it seems whether it's that bariatric surgery and or obesity related it is almost a sure thing for a cholecystectomy.

I'll take my chances with bariatric surgery and then be thankful that I am healthier and will recover better.

Heres my feeling on gallbladder issues, weight and bariatric surgery..

The standard saying in medicine for gallbladder issues if the 3F's: Female, Fat and over 40...
So no matter what, it seems whether it's that bariatric surgery and or obesity related it is almost a sure thing for a cholecystectomy.

I'll take my chances with bariatric surgery and then be thankful that I am healthier and will recover better.

Thanks for your input. I think they want to blame everything on the bariatric surgery.

Oh I have heard for the last 10 years that it was fat, female and 40. Everytime I have an esophageal spasm I was sent to the ER to rule out a possible heart attack.. When all the tests came back perfect the Dr's would target my gallbladder which the Dr would always tell me, "You fat, female and 40." He said that is generally the rule of thumb. My heart and gallbladder are awesome. They found out it was an esophageal motility issue.

It's like before my car accident I was very active, never had knee problems. I could climb stairs, never had a pain in my knees at all. Then the accident slammed my knees into the dashboard. My knees swelled up enormously with bleeding under my skin in the knees and legs. Even though it all healed up, my knees have never been the same. What did the doctors say? My knees were now bad cause I was fat. Not because of the accident but because I was fat. It just wasn't fair.
I think the same type thing is happening with my gallbladder. They are blaming this on my surgery. Just because. I am fat, female and over forty. So blame it on that. But no, they want to say it's my surgery that caused it. Not fair.

Hi,

I am post op 15 days now. My Doctor and I had a lengthy discussion on my gall bladder and whether or not he would remove it as he did the bariatric gastric bypass. He chose not to at this point. I know I have gall stones. What my Doc said is rapid weight loss can cause more stones. However, he also said there is medication to dissolve existing stones and perhaps prevent further stones from happening. I will be following up on this. As it is he not only did the gastric bypass but he also repaired a huge hiatal hernia that I had and was totally unaware that it existed.

This female, fat and 40 is an awful thing to hear.

Best wishes,

Ralph

All I can say is test, test, test. I had a upper GI CT scan and they discovered I had gall stones. I will have my gal bladder out when I have my bariatric surgery. Its a 2 fer....... regarding pain, hospitalization, and costs. I think, just get it out of the way!

All I can say is test, test, test. I had a upper GI CT scan and they discovered I had gall stones. I will have my gal bladder out when I have my bariatric surgery. Its a 2 fer....... regarding pain, hospitalization, and costs. I think, just get it out of the way!

That is what I thought might happen. However, my Doc said it is better to leave it alone if it doesn't need to be taken out. Part of that is the risk being under anesthesia and lengthing the operation. He said he would give it a good look and if recquired he would remove it. However, he did not. To date, my gall bladder has not bothered me. Again, as I discuss this further with my Doc he may prescribe some meds to dissolve any stones that do exist.

I am fortunate... No gall stones, heart in excellent shape..
Now My esophagus has some defect issues I was born with and just discovered this year. On top of that I have a diaphragmatic / intestinal hernia. I'll know tomorrow if he is going to do a 2'fer on me on the 26th...

Now My esophagus has some defect issues I was born with and just discovered this year. On top of that I have a diaphragmatic / intestinal hernia. I'll know tomorrow if he is going to do a 2'fer on me on the 26th...

That sounds like a hiatal hernia.

That is what I had. So yes I got a 2fer. He repaired my hiatal hernia, which has eliminated a nagging cough that I get as well as allowing me to take deep breaths again.

Hi,

I am post op 15 days now. My Doctor and I had a lengthy discussion on my gall bladder and whether or not he would remove it as he did the bariatric gastric bypass. He chose not to at this point. I know I have gall stones. What my Doc said is rapid weight loss can cause more stones. However, he also said there is medication to dissolve existing stones and perhaps prevent further stones from happening. I will be following up on this. As it is he not only did the gastric bypass but he also repaired a huge hiatal hernia that I had and was totally unaware that it existed.

This female, fat and 40 is an awful thing to hear.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Thanks Ralph, I'll check into that medicine that dissolves gallstones for the future. Right now they said I have gallbladder sludge and they think I expelled the gallstones. I have never had any problem with my gallbladder until the surgery.

Good luck to you tomorrow and let me know what happens! I am lucky that I not only got a excellent bariatric surgeon, but he is also a critical care and general surgeon. Let me know if they try to upsell you as well.

My daughter did not have any gallbladder problems, but was given a medication 3 months post op to prevent any problems. She took it for 3 months and was told she could discontinue it. I am 17 months post op and although I did not have stones I had some inflammation of the gallbladder. If I ate a fatty meal, I would have some pain. I don't eat fatty meals any longer and it seems to have resolved itself. If it continues to bother you and needs to be removed, at least you will be healthier going into surgery. Hope that doesn't happen and you are on the road to good health.

I am fortunate as well. My surgeon is a world known Bariatric Surgeon who trains physicians around the world in Bariatric Surgery and the Da Vinci Robotic Bariatric procedures for surgery.. We are both blessed to have great surgeons that's for sure.

Back