• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Get movin' month 1-6

It's Dru, just 1 month post op. Got any mini-bits of exercise to tone my torso, build strength, get movin' for 20+ minutes?
M1. - March w knees up. - Lay down, Leg extend w heels out - Belly rub clockwise gently to massage intestinal flow.
More in M2 M3?
Hey Dru & welcome. I am always looking for helpful suggestions too. I personally have not progressed beyond occasionally walking, and doing leg lifts while sitting in my recliner, alternately lifting each leg. That seemed to help my abdominal muscles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome, Dru. If you're only a month out, exercise for toning could be the worst thing you can do.

The best things you can do involve walking and stretching. Your body has suffered a real insult from surgery and now, it's suddenly not being overfed like before. This process is as much about the mind as the body, but at one month, there are dozens of more important things to do than situps.

MY advice: relax and practice seeing how deeply you can take a breath before exhaling. The aerobic benefit is great, but the awareness is even better. And the muscles outside your ribs are part of the system you'd be trying to strengthen with situps or toe-touching.

Minimize. Focus on lengthening, not strengthening. And most important is the complex world of nutrition. That's the coolest because the message is, "enjoy every bite."

Recovery from WLS is a long, fascinating journey. And the thing is, just living will tone muscles because you'll be moving.

It took years to gain, it takes years to lose everything, including bad habits.

I always compare it to learning to drive, using the accelerator, clutch and brakes. I drove crazy jerky slamming brakes flooring it stopping suddenly... And then my head started reading my feet and the names of the pedals didn't have to be remembered. I became One with all the other drivers.

That's how food and choosing to eat becomes. But it takes time. You have the rest of your life to do situps. Now it's time to tune in to your body.

I am 6 weeks postop and thinking about exercise. I am off physical restrictions from my surgeon, but was in PT for my shoulder until next week. next week I would like to start doing a routine of toning arms, stretching and toning my legs. I will start abs work in month 2 maybe. Walking as much as possible each day, but the low calorie diet really has my energy levels low, that is slowly improving.

I am 6 weeks postop and thinking about exercise. I am off physical restrictions from my surgeon, but was in PT for my shoulder until next week. next week I would like to start doing a routine of toning arms, stretching and toning my legs. I will start abs work in month 2 maybe. Walking as much as possible each day, but the low calorie diet really has my energy levels low, that is slowly improving.
congratulations on starting your new journey to getting healthy!!! walking is a fantastic form of exercise!! hang in there. low energy is normal. also you might be tired as your body might still be adjusting from the surgery. so happy for you!!! keep us posted on how you are doing?

I think walking and strength training are important. I do not believe we have to run on a treadmill an hour a day sweating to death to see benefits.

I actually hate walking for the sake of exercise. But one thing I used to do when I had a membership at the YMCA was the treadmill with the tv screen on it. I don't have cable, so anytime I get to watch the higher channels is a real treat. They have screens on the stair steppers, too, so I can vary my routine. And of course, that's walking and climbing, so I get that benefit. I could go during the day when most people are at work and I'd do four 20-minute intervals. I was in really good shape, and I'd drink at least a liter of water while I walked.

Then I went for a steam and hot tub, swim a few laps, and hose off with cold water before showering and putting makeup on. I considered it a "spa day," so it didn't feel like work. Not everyone has the luxury of taking that much time for self-care in a day, but I've been retired for a long time, initially because of a disability and then I hit retirement age.

It's great, in my opinion, and I started the routine because I'd had the surgery and wanted to firm up and become more active. Mostly, I wanted to start hiking, since I live in Washington state and we have such great trails and hiking areas, as well as awesome campgrounds. It was also an activity I could do with my son, which is another story. Our hikes together led to him getting a job at the Ross Lake Resort for a few summers in a row. When I'd go camping alone and he was at work, he'd canoe to my campsite at night and we'd tell family stories around the campfire, which was such a tender time for me. I'm so grateful for it.

I guess what I'm saying is that one thing can lead to another. I hate deliberate walking for exercise, as I said, but I didn't mind the treadmill to build my muscles and stamina, which led to lovely family time.

Oh, and I've told this story before, but I once hiked up about 6000 feet, which took me all day and it was dark when I rolled out my sleeping bag. I was too tired to pitch my tent, so I just drank a tiny bottle of wine and crunched up dry top ramen, which is a great treat, really salty, a recipe I learned from my son. I was laying on my side and I had salty top ramen crystals under my fingernails. I was almost asleep when I felt something nibbling at my fingertips, then felt teeth and soft biting. I was sure it was a bear because i had just seen a mama bear and cub running past, silhouetted in the sunset. As the toothy feeling got bigger, I decided I had to fight back, so I suddenly rolled over and screamed to scare the animal. As it turned out, it was a six-point buck, and I scared the shit out of him and watched him jump up and bounce away in the shadows.

I never would have had that experience if I hadn't committed many months to the treadmill, so I could get strong enough to hike that high. So, sometimes a treadmill can be a good thing!

We are polar opposites, Diane. I hate the treadmill. Its SO boring. I go to the Y and they have a program now where you can walk in different places, like Monterey, the Irish hills, Tuscany etc. Still sucks LOL I like fresh air for my walks. I also love to ride my bike but can't stand the cycling at the Y. I do love the aerobic classes!! Zumba, Cardio Drumming, Stepping. Anything organized and with a time limit.

I enjoy hiking and have done it a few times now. But I stick to what I call baby hiking, since I'm scared of nature! Too many things can kill me. I would have a heart attack if I heard and animal anywhere near me lol But, now hiking is a regular part of our vacations! Even if I have to do 2 baby hikes instead of 1 big one. My worst fear is needing to be rescued!

Of course, if you had told me I would enjoy ANY type of hiking, at any time in my life, I would have died laughing. So, try any and all exercise, people! You'll be surprised by the things you enjoy doing once you're feeling fit! I used to like to lay on the beach, margarita in hand. Now I like to walk the beach and actually swim instead of stand in it lol

I recently started running. Never would have thought that would happen! It’s amazing how much better you feel and the things your body can do when you get control of your health.

I started running after I had my baby 45 years ago. There was this great rubber track at the high school, really soft impact. However, it turned out I have shin splints, so that was the end of that. I wish I could do it, but I am really happy I'm able to hike.

Back