• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting FRUSTRATED!!

Vent time! So I have been dieting for a month now (pre op) I was doing so well. Until the last two weeks. Last week I weighed Monday 284, (gaining 4lbs) then Thurs I weighed again and was at 274 (checked twice to be sure I was reading correctly) Ok so then this past Monday, I weighed again... 280! I did cheat a LITTLE. But even when I cheated it was very small! And still stayed under my 1200 cal. I been eating lean meat, very little carbs. The cheat was a piece of cake, very thin slice (like 1/4 of what I would normally of gotten). No mayo in sandwiches, no cheese in sandwiches. I use the 100 cal sandwich thins, if I use butter, it is less than a tablespoon. I been excercising more, I do 30 min of elliptical, and I walk at least 30 mins... but there were a couple days of 1hr+ I also been doing lots of extra gardening and yard work. I am just so frustrated with the yoyo... I am working so hard. Even my fiancé is baffled.. He says "you hardly eat!" UGH! My pants and ring are lose, I read to weigh daily... but I have only done weekly. I think daily would drive me insane! HELP!!!

Frustration is fine, just dont get discouraged, your on the path of success. Reach out to your Dietician and inquire on what the root cause of your "yo-yo"....Best of luck. Are you scheduled for surgery yet?

I assume your are talking about your official weigh-ins. Not all weight is fat. Weight is also water retention and is effected by sodium and potassium. Salt increase your water retention while potassium will reduce the amount of water you hold. Reduce your salt intake and indulge in potassium rich foods, IE dried apricots. Also watch the food labels, you'll be surprised at the amounts of sodium. 6 grams of salt=one teaspoon.

On days you have weigh-ins, do not drink anything until after your are weighed (its not cheating). As long as you are following your plan you are fine and shouldn't being discouraged.

If you have an older spring scale invest in a newer electronic one. I also recommend exercise and having a good sweat.

cheers

I have never been a big salt eater, so unless there is already salt in the food, I don't add salt. I never salt my meat, or veggies. So Salt shouldn't be a huge issue either. I also have an irregular menstrual cycle, sometimes I think I can be premenstrual for like 2 weeks... so I hope that that is the main cause. Its frustrating when you think you are doing so well, and its like you get punished for "laxing" a little! I have lots of time, my date isn't gonna be anytime real soon! So I kindof have that in mind also.. UGH.. just irritated!

Hi there, I have some of the same issues you have. My weight goes up and down through out the week. I have some heart issues as well. MY Dr. has me weigh every day after the first pee of the day. Do not drink or eat before you weigh. They say that is the best time to weigh, as your weight will go up and down throughout the day depending on what you eat and drink. I had the same issues with my menstrual cycle as well, my doctor put me on iron which helped me, so you may want to have your iron checked. We are all different so we have to keep chugging on and not give up when something seems not right to find something that will help. I am still weighting on my surgery date as well, I have done everything just weighting on the date and it does drive you crazy at times. Just keep trying and it'll will all be worth it in the end. Good Luck.

Hey there, you said your clothes and rings are fitting more loosely than before. You also mentioned that you are getting exercising more, which means you're building muscle. It sounds to me like you may be increasing your muscle mass, which weighs more than fat. You are doing the right things, don't become a slave to the scale or you may get frustrated over nothing. I had a whole month where I plateaued, until I realized that I lost four inches off my waist. Of course I'd just started going back to the gym. I was so frustrated, but I shouldn't have been, once my body caught up with me, the weight started coming off again. So, don't step on the scale until your doctor visits, otherwise, keep doing what you are doing. Good luck and keep us posted, we care.

Frank

:cool:

Hang in there. You sound like you're doing all the right things, so the weight will come off. Do you have to lose a certain amount before surgery?

My surgeon's goal weight for me is 274, In which I was at... but I need to maintain. My surgery is not scheduled yet... I still have to take some tests before. there will be awhile still..

Hi,

It sounds to me like Frank is right about building muscle. Don't get frustrated by a number on a scale, Your body will catch up and you will lose. Menstrual cycles and hormones can make a big difference too. Good luck. JOy

It grieves me to say that Frank is right about the muscle building interval. I also had a weigh loss plateau after surgery. I was doing everything right but the weight would not budge. The important thing is to remain committed and not give in to the frustration.

Dennis

johnscrystal-The fluctuation in your weight is probably due to water retention or your scale is not accurate. A diet high in lean protein and low in carbs and fat will give you the fastest weight loss. Also, the amount of lean protein you eat is critical for weight loss. After surgery you will need a minimum of 60 grams, 70 is better and if you can get 90 grams in it's even better. Water is also critical and after surgery you will need a minimum of 64 ounces daily. Witholding water is not a good idea either before or after surgery. The last thing you want to do is become dehydrated and end up in the hospital.

Back