• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair loss an hair color

donnayork

Ok, I'm back with a question. I have had my hair thin out a lot but no bald spots to speak of; my question is when can I get my hair colored. I'm 6 months out an going to see my family the end of Oct they haven't seen me since last December. What to look my best, my family have smart mouths. Well so do I, so I know there will be lots to says. I'm just 4 lbs from having lost 100 lbs so I know their mouths will be dragging the ground. Which I will love but I don't want anything to be not perfect. So please if anyone has gotta their hair colored please give advise of whether it's a good ideal or not just want to look my best.

I had the same question. I am only six week post op. Everyone said they had done it! So I went ahead. I had no problems. are you doing it professionally, or from a box. If you do professional, I would just let them know that you have been experiencing some hair loss do to a surgery. That way they may take a more delicate approach.

Most def professionally, I would be afraid to do it myself. I so want to do it. Thank you for your response.

I don't know anything about hair color, but the hair loss is due to the combined stress of surgery, anesthesia and quick weight loss. The consensus is that B vitamins help you recover from the stress. There are several concoctions of B vitamins on the market, as you probably know. But enough of that, congratulations on your weight loss. What does your family think about the new you?

Hey Donna, congrats on the weight loss so far, you're doing great. I don't know a thing about getting your hair colored. My hair did finally stop falling out. I took b-vitamins and Biotin.

Frank

HI Donna

If you find the answer I would love to know. I am almost 4 months out take all the vitamins available and have serious thinning hair. The hair that remains has some roots that need to be touched up. The lady that does my hair doesn't want to color it until she can see new growth. He comment was between the stress of the weight loss and the chemicals involved it could be bad. She suggested the temporary color that you wash in. I haven't tried it yet because I can't find anyone that used the product.

Congrats on the weight loss! booo to the hair loss

I take all the vitamins too, plus biotin an use the shampoo an conditioner too. But hair still thinned. At first about a handful every time I washed it an now about half that. Oh, I don't see the family till the end of October kinda worried about reaction. I know they will be proud of me but my daddy thinks I've lost to much but hasn't seen me he had no ideal how close to 300 lbs I was. He just knows the amount I have lost. Just hope they think I look good. Decided I'm gonna make me a hair appt for Oct 20th. Wish me luck.

vDonna, The real question is how do you think you look and how do you feel? My wife says I don't need to lose another pound, but I've still got 18 to go to get to my destination. Trust me, I just came back from visiting family and they were all very impressed by my weight loss so far. Remember that if someone does say you've lost too much, they are concerned about you. Gently remind them that you are in control of your WLS journey and you are working to be the healthiest you, that you can be.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I will do. I think I look good an have 25 lbs left to go. I finally feel like I belong. Being able to wear my 16 year old daughters jeans is a huge bonus.

Go for it girl. Pamper yourself and be proud. It what you think about yourself that counts. I am 6 months out, have had some thinning, have colored for years and still do. Nice going.

I googled "hair falling out gastric bypass" and read on the eHow health website that losing hair with any kind of weight loss surgery is common. It says it is caused by severe protein deficiency due to the stomach size being so small that the body cant always get enough protein. The protein it gets will go to vital organs and hair isnt considered vital by the body. They suggest eating high quality protein, beef, chicken, fish and protein shakes. I myself havent had a problem yet but Im only 3 1/2 months past surgery but also I do crave meat and fish or eggs and they are my main diet at every meal plus a little salad or green beans. How soon would the hair loss start if I end up having it happen?

Mine thinned, it was thin to start with, the worse was at about 5 months, but really it is no big deal. Stick with the protein and vitamins. I would have gone bald to feel this much better, lol.

Oh yes the vitamins .. 2 Centrum a day (at first I was on chewable Flintstone) but now I can swallow much better. Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, my Probiotic plus Viactiv my chewable Calcium Citrate twice a day- yummy.. :eek:

Hair loss for me started at around 4 months. But like I said I don't have bald spots just thinned out a lot. I get 80 to 90 grams protein a day take all my vitamins I am a good girl but still my hair thinned. Decided I'm just gonna go for it an get my high lights done an a light trim. A good thing all the vitamins I have been taken has made it grow really well it down past my bra now an was just pasted my shoulders. So much longer but a lot thinner can't have it all I guess.

Oh yes the vitamins .. 2 Centrum a day (at first I was on chewable Flintstone) but now I can swallow much better. Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, my Probiotic plus Viactiv my chewable Calcium Citrate twice a day- yummy.. :eek:
Are you sure you should be taking viactiv? the first ingredient is sugar. Just sayin'

The hair loss should start anytime and be over by the sixth month post-op. I was sick in December and had a lot of antibiotics and IVs and such (no anesthesia) and my hair started falling out it clumps the next month. Only my hairdresser could tell and she gave me salon-quality Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, and it stopped falling out right away. This was about 3 months after it started, so it could have been a coincidence.

Hello, I'm 1 year out, I take 5,000 biotin a day and 90 grams protein daily without a hair problem and when I'm due to have more surgery like this Friday I will be having a tummy tuck I've been taking 10,000 biotin a day for a month and will continue for a few months while my body heals and I've gotten my hair colored all the way through my journey this year so have at pamper your self and enjoy ;)

Thank you, I had my tummy tuck a year before I had my gastric done. My dr says I have to wait two years before I can have any plastic done. Will need my legs an arms done. Best wishes on your surgery.

Karenina, I actually started out on Caltrate chewable and they tasted great too but my nutritionist at the bariatric doctors office recommended the Viactiv (more for the money) and I switched to it. I know I could cut more calories by avoiding sugar altogether but I think my portion size is so reduced now that a little sugar is not a problem to me. I dont eat any desert type sweets at all. Mainly meat fish eggs and salad with tomatoes and also green beans. Dressing is another thing sugar is in.. also catsup, but the doctor said this is okay so I just try to be frugal with it.

Back