• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair loss

Deb1809

I've read that one of the side effects from bariatric surgery is hair loss. Has anyone had this issue and can you stop it before it happens? This really concerns me due to the fact that my hair has been thinning the last couple of years due to some health problems and stress.
:confused:(

If you have hair thinning it is usually minimal and happens the first 3 months and is not permanent, at least for me. I have heard that extra biotin and zink can help take care of it. There are also other supplaments out there that help with that. As bad as it sounds it is really nothing to worry about as long as you know it is coming and you can do something about it like supplaments. I didn't know until I went in for my three month check up and my doctor told me that was normal and it should stop thinning now (at 3 months) and start comming back. It did. It is still grey though, not WLS related LOL. :cool: Tom

Thank you Tom. I just wanted to see if there is something that I can take before it happens. I won't have surgery until the end of the year so, that is really one of my main concerns. I will check with my doctor this week when I have my first appointment to see what I can do about it. I'd like to get a head start per say.

Back