• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Half the man I used to be.

fuww57

Stepped on the scale this morning and I am now down to 181 lbs.; exactly 1/2 of the 362 lbs. I weighed when I first went to see my surgeon for a consultation. It's going on 2 years since I decided to deal with this horrible problem I had most of my life. It was the best thing that ever happened. Food and I have definitely divorced and I can now trust myself with it in the house. If I buy ice cream (sugar-free) it isn't gone in a sitting or 2. I'm actually throwing out stuff I would have devoured. And it's not willpower. I feel there's been a change in my desires and the amount of food that satisfies me. It took a long time to take off the last 10 pounds. I would like to lose a little more but if I don't I think I'll be okay (one of my doctors told me so on Monday). The benefits of the surgery go beyond the new body. I no longer have hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea or atrial fibrillation (that took an ablation but that was put off until I lost weight for better results). I realize others have had difficulties after surgery but almost 18 months out there have been no problems. I have a new wardrobe and when once I would never buy any fitted styles, I have and they fit me well. No need to blouse my shirts.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I am now down to 181 lbs.; exactly 1/2 of the 362 lbs. I weighed when I first went to see my surgeon for a consultation. It's going on 2 years since I decided to deal with this horrible problem I had most of my life. It was the best thing that ever happened. Food and I have definitely divorced and I can now trust myself with it in the house. If I buy ice cream (sugar-free) it isn't gone in a sitting or 2. I'm actually throwing out stuff I would have devoured. And it's not willpower. I feel there's been a change in my desires and the amount of food that satisfies me. It took a long time to take off the last 10 pounds. I would like to lose a little more but if I don't I think I'll be okay (one of my doctors told me so on Monday). The benefits of the surgery go beyond the new body. I no longer have hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea or atrial fibrillation (that took an ablation but that was put off until I lost weight for better results). I realize others have had difficulties after surgery but almost 18 months out there have been no problems. I have a new wardrobe and when once I would never buy any fitted styles, I have and they fit me well. No need to blouse my shirts.

So happy for you.

I have had a very similar experience.

I hope you hang around here and encourage other people to do the same and respond to their cares, worries and questions.

Here is my list of accomplishments.

My operation was on 11/4/2013. I reached my goal weight of under 200 on July 12, 2014. I have been successfully maintaining since then between 196 to 200. Just a bit over 200 right now and working on getting it back into range. I am enjoying the holiday season and celebrations.

Accomplishments below:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

As of 12/10/14 still maintaining successfully between 196 to 200. Just went over 200 with all the parties and celebrations (201 right now) going into give back mode to get it back into range NOW !!!

I also maintain with a calorie intake now around 1800 calories per day and making sure I always get my protein in of 80grams.

Ralph

If you have been a bariatric patient 5 years or more and would like to share your journey for a future book, please contact me.
I wrote a book on my experience - called Gastric Girl, 7 plus years beyond Bariatric Surgery. I want to a follow up book of other people's journey.

Nicki

Back