• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

have you had an appointment lately?

Thank ya'll for the encouragement. I missed you too. Gotta lot on my plate. What a pun! Anyway, It builds up my confidence to have support from ya'll. I was kinda bummed because they went from telling me to eat nearly half a dozen small meals to only three a day. No starchy veggies and no sweet/potatoes. Most of all no bread. What the hay hay? I can't get a grilled cheese ? ! Anyway, it's also no pasta. Welp. Pasta salad is out the back door. I want to Eat right now. My question for you ladies....and maybe a gentleman or two...is what is the difference between starving and wanting comfort food? Is the feeling all the same? Am I hungry every two and half hours cause Im stressed? Look forward to your feedback.
Giving up carbs should curb some of that hunger.

Does your cravings for food change with the type of food you eat?

If I remember correctly, it takes 15-30 minutes to digest carbs, like 1-2 hours for protein, and oils are like 4 hours. So, if you eat a lot of carbs, you will be hungry again sooner since your body does not have enough sustaining nutrients. Of course these numbers can vary depending on the complexity of the carbs, but the difference is still marked.

Giving up carbs should curb some of that hunger.

Does your cravings for food change with the type of food you eat?

If I remember correctly, it takes 15-30 minutes to digest carbs, like 1-2 hours for protein, and oils are like 4 hours. So, if you eat a lot of carbs, you will be hungry again sooner since your body does not have enough sustaining nutrients. Of course these numbers can vary depending on the complexity of the carbs, but the difference is still marked.
Do carbs convert to sugar? If so I need a bit throughout the day or my sugar will plummet. I try not to eat too much of anything. So I still want a grilled cheese now and again. ;).
It's not easy to count em when my stomach growls at me. But I hope I figure this out soon. It's not lIke I eat junk food. Every thing is good for me that I buy but with this diet gotta think outside the box. Poor me, the box has a combination lock. I didn't know of those numbers so I appreciate you for sharing.

Do carbs convert to sugar? If so I need a bit throughout the day or my sugar will plummet. I try not to eat too much of anything. So I still want a grilled cheese now and again. ;).
It's not easy to count em when my stomach growls at me. But I hope I figure this out soon. It's not lIke I eat junk food. Every thing is good for me that I buy but with this diet gotta think outside the box. Poor me, the box has a combination lock. I didn't know of those numbers so I appreciate you for sharing.

hmmm.....

Everything converts to sugar eventually. It just takes longer for your body to digest the proteins and fats to convert them into sugar since they are more complex. So, if you are careful and plan your timings, you could skip eating simple sugars. This should reduce the yoyo effect of digesting carbs too quickly. If however, you let your sugar get low in the first place, [getting shaky and having difficulty thinking] you might need a simple sugar right away to bring it back up quickly. I could go on, but I am starting to feel like a textbook. :)

I am aware that some people, are just really hungry or like really enjoy eating and confuse that with hunger. Everyone is different.

Personally, I LOVE grilled cheese. I am just aware when I eat it that it will make me want more... bread and simpler refined carbs. Its a slippery slope for me.

hmmm.....

Everything converts to sugar eventually. It just takes longer for your body to digest the proteins and fats to convert them into sugar since they are more complex. So, if you are careful and plan your timings, you could skip eating simple sugars. This should reduce the yoyo effect of digesting carbs too quickly. If however, you let your sugar get low in the first place, [getting shaky and having difficulty thinking] you might need a simple sugar right away to bring it back up quickly. I could go on, but I am starting to feel like a textbook. :)

I am aware that some people, are just really hungry or like really enjoy eating and confuse that with hunger. Everyone is different.

Personally, I LOVE grilled cheese. I am just aware when I eat it that it will make me want more... bread and simpler refined carbs. Its a slippery slope for me.
I will attempt a new menu. I will let you know how that turns out. As soon as i create it. Gonna take some thought cause i feel like ive tried most things under the sun.

Some foods convert to sugar more rapidly than others, especially carbs. I have issues now with potatoes, in any variety, because they have starch but they also quickly convert to sugar, which causes me to get super tired really quickly with the dumping of all the sugar. Those might actually work for you though! Also, mandarin oranges are off the menu for the same reason, they turn to sugar too quickly. Carrots do the same oddly enough? Basically, anything made from potatoes, rice, flour, corn, or other grains turns into sugar quickly and for some of us cause major issues if we can't handle the sugar. You might benefit from some of these throughout your day Carolyn!

Wow, a lot has been talked about since I last checked in. How is everyone doing. I seen the post on Carolyn's appointment. Yeah it is wild the way you think you are on track and get to your appointment to find there are things they want you to tweek.
I do find that eating protein centered meals help with the hunger cravings. Greek yogurt is a big one for me. Pixx always love you input.

Oh and I had an appointment today with the nutritionist. Apparently I'm not eating enough solid food to satisfy where I "should" be by now. They are concerned about my 'quality of life' from a food aspect and want me to improve in that area. How frustrating. :( I just spent a whole lot of time figuring out what I could eat successfully without getting sick and now I feel like I am starting over...*sigh*
Hey Pixx sorry to hear about your struggle with your intake. Do you feel tired not getting in enough food?

My guide book states that with the RNY expected weight loss is 85% at 1 year. And with the sleeve 75% at 18 months. So I guess we that had the sleeve are on track o_O. I cannot expect to see a significant difference til 2019. It is time to buy new pants. Since I cannot find a belt. And I won't wear suspenders. I sometimes wish I had the RNY because of probability of quicker results. But I am satisfied because it would've have given me worse problems with the diabetes. :oops:
Hey Carolyn, I think your positive thinking is what you need to keep moving forward and staying on track. Keep up the good work.

Hey Pixx sorry to hear about your struggle with your intake. Do you feel tired not getting in enough food?

I only get tired if I get below 60 grams of protein in a day. Since most of my liquid intake is liquid protein, I don't have energy level issues. I've been down for a week, and got way off track with the recent surgery, but I'm back to work now and rebuilding my protein levels again. I kind of converted to drinking tons of water with the pain meds this past week and around day 4 I could feel the lack of protein, ugh!

Back