• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having a hard time drinking my shakes ?

Lela young

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I'm having a hard time getting my protein shakes down. Are there certain brands that go down better? I need all the help I can get, cause after one sip I get super nauseated. Also please tell me where to look to find t too please. And mixing it is a pain and using the blender puts a lot of bubbles ?? I've tried milk, soy, water to mix with and I don't know what I'm doin wrong. It's not everyday or every time but it is often. Any help would be do appreciated.

Hello, Lela,

What kind of shakes are you using? There are some out there that I do not like at all. I mainly use Unjury whey protein powder and then substitute with some premixed shakes as well. The Unjury is recommended by my bariatric center and I can buy them there and save on shipping. The unjury comes in several flavors. I like the tartness of the strawberry sorbet mixed in lemon crystal lite. At first I loved the chocolate mixed in skim milk but I no longer enjoy them. The vanilla is good mixed in orange crystal lite (tastes like a dreamsicle). The premixed I use are EAS Advantedge sold at Walmart for a pack of four for about $5.00 and Premier sold at Sams (I think I figured it out and they run about $1.50 apiece). The unjury mixes well and I never taste any powdery substance. This site sells some clear fruity protein shakes that are also very good. I like the mango. Remember to sip sip sip and I found that if they were too cold I would also get nauseated. If you blenderize a smoothie you can let it sit for while and most of the bubbles will dissipate. I don't know what kind of surgery you had but I also know that you will have to watch the carbs and sweetness of your shakes esp. with bypass. Hope this helps. Good luck. There is a recipe section with some suggested recipes for different flavored shakes too.

I use unjury as well. I use unflavored as I could not tolerate the sweetness of the flavored kind. I also don't eat or drink anything with artifical flavors or sweetners. It took me a few tries to find the right one. You can get samples sizes so you don't have to invest too much money in buying something that does not work. I think there is a thread on the site that might be helpful. You can do a search for some more ideas.

I too use Unjury (unflavored). I hated all protein shakes in the beginning, even Unjury. Just keep trying, it will get better/easier. I use to drink coffee a lot, but can not tolerate the taste of it now, that, and it doesn't sit well on my tummy. I like to add the protein powder to no sugar added hot chocolate. I use 1/2 water and 1/2 lactaid milk (14oz total). That's my breakfast. I have a ten o'clock snack of a banana/oatmeal/Greek yogurt muffin which I also add a scoop of protein powder to the batter. I have the ten o'clock snack because I have to take my meds with food. Sometimes I put the protein powder in flavored water. I use (re-use) a 24oz Gatorade bottle. It has a wonderful orange sip top on the bottle. For that I use a full scoop of protien powder and a packet of 4C. Crystal lite was too sweet for me, and didn't set well either. My favorite flavor of 4C is wildberry pomegranate. Try mixing protein powder in with your yogurt or cottage cheese. Good luck and let us know what works for you, it may help someone else down the road.

Shakes

I am at 3 weeks now. I used water instead of milk and it seemed easier to get that down. Milk was just to thick for me.

I am still 3.5 weeks away from my surgery, but I have taste tested several and Unjury in Chocolate was my favorite by far. My nutritionist said the guidelines for the protein shakes are 15+ grams of protein and <6 grams sugar. There are lots of ready to drink shakes on the market, there is a low carb, high protein Slimfast Shake in vanilla and chocolate which is good too (and if you hate mixing, this might be the way to go). Muscle Milk also make a low sugar/carb one as well and they meet the protein.

The protein shakes below are straight off the list given to me from my Nutritionist for me to pick some and try:

Pre-Mixed (Ready to Drink):

Atkins
Myoplex Originals
Myoplex Low Carb
Perfect Zero Low Carb Isopure
Slimfast Meal Low Carb Diet

Powders mixed in with milk/water:

Designer Protein (I'm trying this one out tomorrow when it comes in the mail, heard it was quite good)
GNC Challenge 95
Whey Supreme
No Added Sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast
Revival Soy
Lindora
Maxihealth Naturemax Plus

Back