• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having doubts about my choice!

KLS

I have bypass surgery on 12-28-12. I lost 23 pounds during the two weeks before my surgery, which was great!!!!! I apparently breezed through the surgery with no complications, which was great!!!!! Everything started out great and gone was my two diabetic medications, my three high blood pressure medications and one high cholesterol medication, which was great!!!!! My problem is that two weeks out I have only lost 11 pounds and at one point gained four pounds. I have followed my doctor's orders to the letter and have a journal of everything that has crossed my lips since 12-14-12. I know this isn't magic and I am okay with it being slow but gaining!!!!!!!! Now it is just stopped doing anything!!!!! My frustration level is maxed out right now and wonder if I have gone through all of this for 33 pounds????:(

Hi there, no you really need to get your protien and fluids in, that's what will burn fat,i went threw the same thing 3 weeks after surgery, I got very upset and wanted to give up, but everyone on here said the same thing protien protien, and fluids,i thought I was reaching m goal but I wasnt , and there will be platues so more will come, this is something yo really have to work at, good luck and up those protiens and fluids :)

KLS,

I see a ten pound weight loss in about 20 days, that adds up to 1/2 pound per day. I don't think you can ask for better than that. I know it comes off faster with bypass than with my lap band but it look s to me like you are being too hard on yourself. Remember that 60-80 Grams of protein and the fluids (64 ounces/day) is your goal. You probably can't do it yet. If you follow your program the weight will come off and you will be much healthier. What I hear from just about everyone on this forum and from my dear friends as well who have had the surgery end up saying it is the best thing they ever did for themselves. Give yourself a chance.

I found this during my research. "A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

Take a deep breathe and remember why you did your surgery. You will do great, just give it time to get started.

First off...this should be your mantra..."Scales are for fish!" ... stop getting on the scale! Every one looses differently and has different experiences even when having the same surgery. You've had the surgery...the weight will come off...you just need to do what you are supposed to do. Make wise choices, get your excercise in and make healthier choices with your food intake. Protein and liquid are a huge factor for your health, healing and your life...make it a priority. Don't judge your progress on your scale...you may not loose any weight at times, but will notice your clothes fitting differently and your will have more energy and feel better. I had Gastric Bypass on July 25, 2012...I am down 45 pounds and feeling great! I am very proud of my progress....My clothes fit differently, and i've obviously had to purchase new clothes, that fit...but even those get too loose soon thereafter. Don't get discouraged...you'll get there...give it time and dedication...the surgery is just a tool...the rest is up to you.

Greetings;

I think everyone before me here pretty much covered it all-fluids and protein and vitamins, etc.....Don't forget to get out and walk, walk, walk, etc.
Are you exercising and getting your fluids and protein in?
Don't worry give it a chance-you just had the surgery-give your pouch a chance to heal as well. Keep to your Team's Plan for you.

Carol

Back