• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello all, Lots of questions, hoping for answers

kaelou

Hi, I am new to this group and the bariatric journey.
Just started by making my first appointment to see a Dr.
Can anyone tell me generic time frames, plzzzzz?
from first appoint to actually getting a surgery date (rough time frame)??
I heard there were preparations for surgery, like losing weight. How much? and how long time frame?
thank you

In my area it varies depending on what testing needs to be done and your insurance requirements but generally it is about six months. Not all programs require a specific amount of weight loss, and some just require a six month weight loss trial. Around here it is the insurance company that requires the six month weight loss trial. Testing required by my center was very specific as to how current it all had to be. Colonoscopy within five years, lung study within two years, pap smear and mammogram had to be current. Then they did an EGD and Cardiac stress test just before surgery. Then I had the nutrition classes and had to pass a test, and the psych evaluation was mandatory. It all paid off in the long run. I had a pre surgery classes too. Good luck on this journey. I also suggest doing some internet searches and check out your surgeon and bariatric center. Look for a Center of Excellence, and ask lots of questions and talk to others who have had surgery already. See if the center has a support group that you can attend. Joy

That is a good question - how much do you really have to lose? It all depends on your reasons for surgery and how heavy you are to start with. Also - your insurance carrier. The more you lose before surgery the safer the surgery is going to be. But do not lose so much that you fall below the BMI that you need to qualify: In my area - one of the insurance companies requires you to lose weight each month or you do not qualify no matter what the starting weight is. I have one friend who started the 6 month pre surgery process at around 300 lbs and she had to loose 35 lbs.

In my situation - my starting weight is close on the BMI - but, I have other health reasons that make this surgery the best solution for me. I am on a "diet" but my main concern is not to gain any weight. I am one month away and at my last visit I was told I could go ahead and eat what I must.... but be careful.... if you gain wait when you check in, the doctor will cancel the surgery!

I do not think this gave you any definitive answers but I find it interesting to hear what others are doing or have heard.

Good Luck!

Hi and welcome to the board.

Six months is a pretty good average, but it really does depend on your insurance and any issues you may have. For me the Dr. said I needed to be losing weight going into the surgery, he didn't care how much I weighed, just that I was losing. It has to do with fat on the liver. Stick with it and do what they ask and you should be fine.

Frank

:cool:

Every doctor and bariatric center is different. It also factors in how old you are and what your BMI is. My doctor gives a "bonus" if you lose 10% of your initial weight--you are given more leeway with the pre-surgery meal plans. Good luck to you. It will all come together.

For me it was only a month but I did self pay and did not go through insurance. Good luck this is not an easy road but I think it will be worth it in the end. :)

Back