• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello everyone! Cravings are derailing me!

Samulls

I had my Gastric Sleeve last year on 5/23. I noticed for the past month I have been craving sweets and giving in. It is very frustrating and I worried I will gain the weight back. I do still work out 3-4 days a week. I am trying to get myself back on track, but nothing seems to help. What do you do when you have cravings? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I still have cravings, but because I can't eat as much as before, I can get really sick if I give in to something sweet or fatty. That's what keeps me from regain. The discomfort of dumping is horrible.

I've known a lot of alcoholics who've gotten sober who still crave alcohol every day. Just as no surgery could change that, WLS can't make cravings go away.

I'm not sure this will help, but you might track your food and choose sweet fruit to replace one of your vegetable portions. If you're not regaining yet, but just overwhelmed by the cravings, try affirmations (search this group for posts about that). I've found affirmations to be life-changing. I developed my own affirmations by using the book, The Only Diet There Is by Sondra Ray (book info also can be found posted in this group). The particular affirmation she suggested for overeating was "everything I eat turns to health and beauty." That was a hard affirmation to believe, the I just kept repeating it over and over and over time, I found it becoming true.

I even made a CD of these affirmations, which I listened to on my Discman while I took my daily walk. Repetition works, whether you're repeating negative messages against your conscious will, or fighting them with positive messages.

Try memorizing just five or 10 affirmations and repeat them over and over as you work out. Say them anytime you feel vulnerable and think you might be about to binge-eat. Believe in the power of affirmations. They're the other side of the coin that wants you to fail. THEY WORK if you let them.

Hi, I hear you on the cravings...for some reason I have developed a craving for coffee ice cream since having surgery 3.5 months ago (and I rarely ate ice cream before surgery). I have no idea why, but I think about coffee ice cream every day now! My way of controlling this craving is not keeping ice cream at home. I never add sugar to my coffee, and I eat low sugar high protein yogurt. I guess it's just one of those odd cravings.

Avoid sweets where you can and make better choices in the sweets you do eat. So, if you really are not going to be happy until you have something sweet, eat the smallest amount and the healthiest option that will satisfy you.

I keep chocolate milk in the house and dark chocolate squares and Hershey kisses in the freezer. If I have a sweet tooth, I'll take a sip of chocolate milk or eat a square of dark chocolate. My husband (also sleeved) ends most nights with a Hershey kiss.

I mostly think when you allow yourself to have a treat, without the negative self feedback, it becomes less of a Thing. Try not to consider yourself as off track or as giving in. I try not to think of any food as off limits (except carbonated drinks). Once you've determined you've failed, its too easy to take it too far. You feel bad about yourself, you've already F*ed up and so you eat the entire chocolate bar. Almost every person on earth likes sweets and eats them. We're learning moderation.

That being said, I can't keep ice cream in the house either. It's my personal kryptonite

I had my Gastric Sleeve last year on 5/23. I noticed for the past month I have been craving sweets and giving in. It is very frustrating and I worried I will gain the weight back. I do still work out 3-4 days a week. I am trying to get myself back on track, but nothing seems to help. What do you do when you have cravings? Any suggestions?

Thank you.
I have discovered that sugar free candies such as Werther's or Jolly Rachers are a good way to quell cravings. It also greatly helps with nausea and heartburn for me anyway. It's a very small amount of sugar and carbs almost negligible

Avoid sweets where you can and make better choices in the sweets you do eat. So, if you really are not going to be happy until you have something sweet, eat the smallest amount and the healthiest option that will satisfy you.

I keep chocolate milk in the house and dark chocolate squares and Hershey kisses in the freezer. If I have a sweet tooth, I'll take a sip of chocolate milk or eat a square of dark chocolate. My husband (also sleeved) ends most nights with a Hershey kiss.

I mostly think when you allow yourself to have a treat, without the negative self feedback, it becomes less of a Thing. Try not to consider yourself as off track or as giving in. I try not to think of any food as off limits (except carbonated drinks). Once you've determined you've failed, its too easy to take it too far. You feel bad about yourself, you've already F*ed up and so you eat the entire chocolate bar. Almost every person on earth likes sweets and eats them. We're learning moderation.

That being said, I can't keep ice cream in the house either. It's my personal kryptonite
I’ve been wondering about carbonated drinks. I was told by my nutritionist to avoid them for the first year due to them causing gas, but she said it’s ok to try them after the first year. What is your reason for no carbonated drinks? Do they disagree with you?

They absolutely disagree with me. I had a glass of champagne a few weeks ago and my stomach was like Nooooo. Just very rumbly. Like my stomach literally felt like the bubbles look in the glass lol Sounds fun but it's not good.

I had tried carbonated before, but I was hoping at 3 years post of something had changed. It hadn't. I believe Diane has said she has a coke once in a while but I still can't manage more than a sip of any carbonation. So, it must depend on the person.

Thank you.
I have a hard time with cravings also. I crave sugar and salt bad (salt is bad for me as I have CHF). Almost three years out and I'm still battling the sweet tooth. Sad thing is I didn't have cravings for sweets like this before surgery. Good thing is I hate chocolate even more.

I also have a sweet tooth. I usually have some type of sugar free pudding treat in the house. I add protein powder and various add on for really tasty treats.

Pumpkin in the cheesecake flavor (sometimes even a bit if cream cheese) topped with a half of a crushed graham cracker.

Peanut butter powder in chocolate pudding with banana.

Banana in vanilla pudding with a crushed nilla wafer.

Applesauce is naturally sweet. Baked apples with just some oats and cinnamon are delicious!

Get creative. There are lots of tasty treats out there that don't have to derail you.

I also freeze dark chocolate. I'll grab a square and let it melt in my mouth. Totally satisfying, for those who may enjoy chocolate.

I agree with many others on here who have mentioned sugar free jolly ranchers, sugar free popsicles are fantastic! I also will eat a few sugar-free hersey chocolate chips when i get that chocolate craving but you have to watch those cuz they have a lot of fat. For something sweet, grab some fruit. I put strawberries and blueberries in my sugar free greek yogurt and that tastes like dessert to me. Occasionally i will eat sugar free twizzlers as well. Many sugar-free candies and food has sugar alcohol so if you are sensitive to sugar free alcohols, then eat it in very small quantities or you will pay for it in the bathroom!

Thank you.
Hello good evening I am one year post op and I have lost 125 pounds but I have been noticing that I am falling off track and returning to some of my old yucky eating behaviors and I am struggling so I feel you. But we got this! Congrats on all the progress you have made!

Back