• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone! I'm New Here!

God is Able

Hi my name is Monica and I am new to the site. My gastric by-pass surgery took place on April 22, 2013. I am recovering ok so far but I am having difficulty with getting enough water in. I want to learn from all of you ways I can be successful and optimize my weight loss. I can't wait. Take care!

Hi Monica, welcome to the board and congrats on your surgery. Glad to hear the recovery is going well. As for getting in enough water, keep a water bottle with you at all times and sip, sip, sip all day long. Other things you can try are sugar free popscicles, sugar free jello to name a couple. I use Crystal Lite, no sugar to add to the water, makes it more enjoyable.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Monica. I love your title GOD IS ABLE oh so true, welcome to this site, glad to hear you're doing well since your surgery. The intake for water will improve. it takes time for our bodies to get use to the massive change we have put it through. may I also suggest another free site that I love going to., it's called THEWORLDACCORDINGTOEGGFACE.ORG she too had the surgery years ago she offers free blogs recipes and advice. I love going to her site she explains how to make a zillion recipes and you can read about her success of going from a 26 to a 6. so she understand 's what people are going through in the transitions of phases we face.as Frank said" sip all day is truly the key to success. I like having ice water with me at all times, I used to keep a 52 oz cup of ice water before surgery but since then down to a 30 oz cup I keep ice water in . happy that I am no longer a diabetic so my unquenchable thirst is now gone, keep cold water with you even in the car, I even take a glass of ice water with a straw to sip on during church.wishing you much success, and as you already know ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD. Donna (bigtallsis)

Last edited:
I had my surgery March 14th. I too struggle with my fluid in take. It just seemed way to much when I had my cup filled to 48 oz so I had a friend who has been there an done that suggest I use a small cup that holds 4 to 8 oz an sip away an refill when empty so that's what I do an I do so much better. Guess a mind trick seeing the smaller amount. So ever hour I try to get in 8 oz. then by the end of day I have done it. Best wishes!! Donna

Thanks, I am having trouble with getting my water in I was never really a water drinker. I've resorted to mixing the G2 (Gatorade) with water. It helps with the taste.

Thanks, I will definitely check out the site. I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since the surgery it has gotten better and seems to have gone away, I am currently participating in a study to look at the effects of the gastric bypass surgery on the reversal of diabetes in patients. I am hoping the research will be very useful in helping others. I just have to continue working on sip, sip, sipping. God is Able!

Hello I'M new here, I notice that some members are drinking ice water, my doctor told me it was best to drink room temp liquids because you could get spasms in your pouch. I am fresh post op. Just wondering if anyone else had the same info.

Thanks, I will definitely check out the site. I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since the surgery it has gotten better and seems to have gone away, I am currently participating in a study to look at the effects of the gastric bypass surgery on the reversal of diabetes in patients. I am hoping the research will be very useful in helping others. I just have to continue working on sip, sip, sipping. God is Able!

Hi,
I've tried both ways, room temp and ice cold. I prefer ice cold because its easier to get down. The doctors suggest room temp, but said that whatever is best for you is ok. The what you to get the 64oz's in daily. I am doing better with my water/liquid intake. Best of luck to you!

I have to drink room temperature water. I use to do ice cold but because of tooth sensitivity I do the room temperature water. In agreement with you all, GOD IS ABLE! Looking forward to hearing your success!

Mylaststraw, I let my tummy dictate to me what temp the water should be. Sometimes the icy cold water will make me nauseous. Then other times, I feel the need for the ice cold. Try both ways and see what works for you. Congratulations on your surgery!

God is Able-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. Fluid intake will become easier over time but you still need to stay hydrated even if you are having issues with drinking. In the first few weeks it's more important to consume fluids than food. Usually by week 3 most people are able to get all their fluids in so you should be there by now. I'm not a water drinker either and it's OK to drink flavored fluids as long as they are caffeine and sugar free. Things that count as fluids ounce for ounce are popsicles and Jello, sugar free of course, also low carb protein drinks. Like Fkrebs said Crystal Light is also a good choice. I use Hawaiian Punch brand sugar free Singles to Go. They are less than half the cost of Crystal Light and taste every bit as good. I get mine at Walmart for $1.00 for 8 packetts in a box. The Orange Ocean reminds me of Nesbitt's soda form when I was a kid. Fruit Juicy Red punch is great too as is the grape although I can't remember what they call it *LOL* Good luck with your weight loss journey and make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing. Pretty soon you will be giving advice to others as you learn new things.

Back