• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello everyone!

It's a gorgeous day in Seattle! I just want to welcome all the newcomers to YOUR group. We are friendly and open and trustworthy. We've all experienced the same kind of life. Some of us are new to this, still in agony over our compulsive overeating, or disease or disorder that's caused us to become people we don't recognize and don't want to be. Some of us are newly post-operative and have a lot of questions we didn't get answered during our prep for this surgery. Some were sleeved; some had a form of bypass; all of us are forever changed.

You won't find a more welcoming place to share safely. I've been here since 2008 and it is the best experience of my life, other than the birth of my son, who's now 45.

Of course, we can't give medical advice, but a lot of your post-op experiences may not be all that medical, but emotional and psychological and spiritual. If you don't feel comfortable enough to ask, please use the Search feature up in the right corner and enter a key word that covers your topic and you'll find a post that covers it. But I hope you'll feel free eventually to ask us personally.

In a nutshell, I was one of 8 children raised by an abusive mom who had horrible low self-esteem. My dad traveled about 2 weeks out of every month because he was a landscaper for the Great Northern Railway and he had to grow all the flowers to plant around the depots from Seattle to St. Paul, as well as all the lilies and other cut flowers in the bud vases on the dining cars. We lived on a farm near the greenhouses and whenever we felt like it, we'd just jump on a train and go up to the next town where it would turn back and return to the greenhouses. We also rode the train for free to any destination.

My life fell apart when JFK was assassinated, which coincided with the railroad's decision to shut down the greenhouses forever. I'm just going to leave that part out because it's still painful to this day.

Still, that catastrophe turned out to be a great thing, because it moved me away from the super-religious, pious, all-Dutch community of sexist farmers and submissive wives, which spun us into the mainstream where we could hang around with "sinners" and listen to rock'n'roll music, and coincided with the arrival of The Beatles... anyone who lived then knows what I'm talking about.

There were 10 kids in my dad's family and 8 in my mom's, so they saw nothing weird about having 8 kids of their own. I have 70 first cousins because everyone followed the same lifestyle.

I was raised like a twin, with a very skinny, bony sister, whereas I was a normal chubby-ish kid. We were constantly pitted against each other but we also loved each other more than anyone else on earth. I was a very unhappy kid and was 17 the first time I tried to commit suicide. I tried about five more times until I became pregnant at 28 and gave birth to the most beautiful baby on earth (we all say that, right?). That was my second marriage, and both husbands were physically abusive.

Anyway, I could write a book, but suffice it to say, over the years I have realized I'm a wonderful person and no one can ever take anything away from me again. I did, however, end up gaining a lot of weight, to the point where I was 269 pounds. Dieted for years, every diet you can name, WW twice or three times, and just kept gaining it back. I did go into supportive talking-listening therapy in the 1970s, read a million self-help books, and it took all that and more before I became comfortable with my heart, soul and mind. I'm now beyond happy with who I am and I have plenty of love to share with others.

Like I said, use the search feature and find members by topic and reach out to them. Mind the dates on the posts, since there's about 20 years of old ones here and those members are usually long gone. But if you read every day and search for members by name, you'll find just the right person to talk to. Even if you're new, you may draw someone out who's old but has never posted before. Whatever you do, don't feel pressured. We love the lurkers as much as the talkers, and there's also a private message feature if you just want to talk to one person privately.

I hope, wherever you are, there are flowers pushing up through the earth saying "hi" to you, and reminding you that you are in a beautiful place. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

THIS is what I love about this group. We can (safely) share anything. I had such a hard time during the pandemic when my mother moved in and basically became wheelchair bound within a few months. She was just recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. It's nice to have a diagnosis, but regardless I had to deal with becoming an in adept caregiver, having weight loss surgery and losing my coping mechanism .. Food . Not to mention the pandemic, not working for the first time since I was old enough to do so etc etc. All the same stuff we ALL went through in 2020.

This group still keeps me focused. And it seems like anytime I am down or just out of sorts, there is some comment here that hits home and brings me back to me.

Like Diane's story of resilience above. Taking time out of your beautiful day in Seattle to share how far you've come reminds me to Keep on Trucking for lack of a better phrase.

THIS is what I love about this group. We can (safely) share anything. I had such a hard time during the pandemic when my mother moved in and basically became wheelchair bound within a few months. She was just recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. It's nice to have a diagnosis, but regardless I had to deal with becoming an in adept caregiver, having weight loss surgery and losing my coping mechanism .. Food . Not to mention the pandemic, not working for the first time since I was old enough to do so etc etc. All the same stuff we ALL went through in 2020.

This group still keeps me focused. And it seems like anytime I am down or just out of sorts, there is some comment here that hits home and brings me back to me.

Like Diane's story of resilience above. Taking time out of your beautiful day in Seattle to share how far you've come reminds me to Keep on Trucking for lack of a better phrase.

Thank you Missy. I hope you know how special you've always been to me. Most "virtual" relationships come and go and never achieve much depth, but not in this group. I still miss the people who have come and gone, like Mamabear. I shouldn't try to start naming them, but anyone who searches the posts by topic will run into some real gems.

I wanted to mention one really common example of how compulsive overeaters are shamed in groups like WW. I remember the last day I was ever part of a WW group. I was sharing, like I share here, deeply. I needed to share, and of course, I thought what I said would be accepted and maybe I'd get some love after the meeting was over, I shared how I'd grown such a big stomach, abdomen and butt that I'd gotten to the point where I couldn't reach around to wipe my ass after toileting. I had to use a tool, like a chopstick, to push the toilet paper wad across the area until I was clean. Now, I KNOW I'm not the only person in the world this ever happened to. I mean, your arms are only so long and if you don't have a bidet, you may need some kind of extension to reach the target area.

Well, after the meeting, these 3 or 4 very snobby, very upper-class women from the suburbs surrounded me and told me how disgusting I was. They said nastier things than that, but it's not necessary to quote their cruelty.

In polite society, people would never mock someone in a wheelchair. Yet obesity presents real disabilities, not to mention the worst one of all: the social stigma that causes the obese to be cast out of society like lepers. Well, in this "colony," there are no lepers. Just people who want to get better. It may take months or years to reach an acceptable goal, but you will NEVER be mocked or discouraged. Whether you're 20 pounds or 200 pounds over a healthy weight, you are the same, and we are here for you.

You are a gem!!! wow, what a family!! and yes Society is nasty when you do not fit the "normal" " but I am a believer in divine justice and everyone will have a day in court here or in the after life.
Hector, because I was also in Overeaters Anonymous for a while, I was introduced to The Big Book of AA. There's a passage in the stories of members who came out of drunkenness into sobriety that addresses consequences, and it surprised me. I can't quote it but the essence is, instead of hoping some nasty person gets what's coming to them, pray every day that the best in life will bathe them in love instead, and all good things would come to them--riches, success, love, etc.. After all, if this happens, they won't be sniping at you or gossiping behind your back. They'll be wanting for you the same blessings they've received.

This was the hardest thing I ever did, as so many people had deliberately hurt me in so many ways. I never wanted to pray for them. I wanted them to suffer and die. But after I read that passage in the Big Book, I began to choke out little prayers wishing good things for the people I felt the most rage toward. It was killer, but I did it, and eventually it got easier because when I was hating them, I was ceding my power over to them. I was allowing them to control my feelings. I took back the power.

If only the whole world could be forgiving and move forward. No outsider could control their feelings then.

Thank you for being you, Hector.

Thank you Missy. I hope you know how special you've always been to me. Most "virtual" relationships come and go and never achieve much depth, but not in this group. I still miss the people who have come and gone, like Mamabear. I shouldn't try to start naming them, but anyone who searches the posts by topic will run into some real gems.

I wanted to mention one really common example of how compulsive overeaters are shamed in groups like WW. I remember the last day I was ever part of a WW group. I was sharing, like I share here, deeply. I needed to share, and of course, I thought what I said would be accepted and maybe I'd get some love after the meeting was over, I shared how I'd grown such a big stomach, abdomen and butt that I'd gotten to the point where I couldn't reach around to wipe my ass after toileting. I had to use a tool, like a chopstick, to push the toilet paper wad across the area until I was clean. Now, I KNOW I'm not the only person in the world this ever happened to. I mean, your arms are only so long and if you don't have a bidet, you may need some kind of extension to reach the target area.

Well, after the meeting, these 3 or 4 very snobby, very upper-class women from the suburbs surrounded me and told me how disgusting I was. They said nastier things than that, but it's not necessary to quote their cruelty.

In polite society, people would never mock someone in a wheelchair. Yet obesity presents real disabilities, not to mention the worst one of all: the social stigma that causes the obese to be cast out of society like lepers. Well, in this "colony," there are no lepers. Just people who want to get better. It may take months or years to reach an acceptable goal, but you will NEVER be mocked or discouraged. Whether you're 20 pounds or 200 pounds over a healthy weight, you are the same, and we are here for you.
You have overcome so much and should be so proud of yourself. It's really horrible how some people treat others.

Thank you, Lola. You're very sweet to offer me your commiseration. I just spent three days camping with my son and we always sit around the campfire and tell all the family stories. The best thing about growing up abused is that you survive it and learn to love the abusers in a very deep way. I always say, and believe it from the bottom of my heart, that if my Mom had been able to make ANY other choice, she would have taken it. And of course, it builds character when you make the decision that the abuse ends with you. My son told me several times what a good mom I've been to him, and I was the one who taught him to take chances, get in a canoe, and go wandering. So I'm really at peace in the last decade or so of my life on earth. ;)

Back