• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone!

Linz

I'm a newbie here but enjoying the information I've read thus far. I've just started this journey. My first pre-surgical consult appointment is coming in about a month. For those of you who had surgery some years ago, I'd love to know about your experience. Specifically, I've been told I will need to take vitamin supplements for the remainder of my life along with other life style changes ie, alcoholic beverages, sugar intake, etc. I'm not a drinker so that info doesn't scare me at all but I'd love to know how everyone is fairing years after the surgery and any vitamin deficiency complications experienced, etc. Thanks in advance for sharing! ☺️

I'm a newbie here but enjoying the information I've read thus far. I've just started this journey. My first pre-surgical consult appointment is coming in about a month. For those of you who had surgery some years ago, I'd love to know about your experience. Specifically, I've been told I will need to take vitamin supplements for the remainder of my life along with other life style changes ie, alcoholic beverages, sugar intake, etc. I'm not a drinker so that info doesn't scare me at all but I'd love to know how everyone is fairing years after the surgery and any vitamin deficiency complications experienced, etc. Thanks in advance for sharing! ☺️
My surgeon and nutritionist told me I had to take 2 daily vitamins for the rest of my life. I took advantage of that by building a well-rounded vitamin program. I take vitamins, minerals, probiotics and other supplements and prescriptions 4 times a day. My blood work is off the charts and I feel healthier now than when I was in my 30s (I'm 72 now). I drink a small amount of alcohol, usually red wine with a meal. I don't consume much sugar except the sugar that is added to processed foods. I'm 15 years out and just came back from a 3 day hiking and canoeing camping trip with my son. I would not hesitate to have a mixed drink in a bar (I'm a sucker for a margarita) or even at home, but that's typical of how I drank before surgery. The biggest change I made to my diet was to cook better. I'm a good cook but have been known to be lazy and order delivery, though hardly ever.

Most people find there is a food or two that they can't stand anymore. It's just one of those things. Also, I have a real hard time with fats. Fats can lead to serious dumping in my digestive system.

I don't think the surgery is very restrictive for most people, which is why a small percentage of people gain all their weight back. It's a tool that must be combined with a commitment to diet and exercise, vitamins and supplements and a deliberate focus on loving yourself, no matter if you goof up or "cheat." The bottom line is truly building self-esteem. Food isn't an issue. Your preexisting food disorder will be with you always, so that's the hard part. Being able to buy smaller, prettier clothes is a big motivator for me.

I take a chewable bariatric vitamin 4 D's per day, as instructed, 4 years out. I can drink, in fact, I'm having a glass of wine right now. I also eat sugar. I will say both alcohol and sugar hit you much faster after WLS. I can't eat too much sugar, it makes me nauseous and slightly light headed.

I have bloodwork done every 6 months, since my current PCP is the lead GP for my bariatric program. I have had no vitamin deficiency, or other issues to date.

Honestly, its harder for me now than the first 2 years. But I used that time to develop better habits. So now my favorite snack is roasted tomatoes with a bit of balsamic and parmesan. It used to be an entire bag of Cheetos. Take this time to build better habits that will stay with you when you (inevitably) can eat a bit more.

Welcome to our group. I take a pre/probiotic once a day (Celebrate Balance pre/probiotic), a bariatric multivitamin once a day, and my bloodwork has been perfect. For those that know me on here, they know my weakness is Coke. I no longer drink the regular stuff, but i do drink Coke Zero. I will cheat every now and then but with a small bite of something sweet (like at a party or holiday gathering). I no longer buy that stuff or i might be tempted to eat it. I try to think of my Chobani zero yogurt with strawberries and blueberries as my sweet treat. I eat it pretty much daily for breakfast. Now that i am 1 year post sleeve surgery, I eat many regular foods, but in a much smaller quantity. I watch my carb, fat, and sugar intake. I have a super supportive husband who has altered his eating habits as well due to me on this journey. That is super because he also does not eat sweets anymore. He says he is doing for his health also, but he also says he feels bad eating that stuff in front of me! We do enjoy going out to eat, but we both make smarter, healthier choices. The biggest stuggle for me is water. I dont like to drink it, not even with the sugar free flavorings you can add to it. I drink plain black tea with splenda. I do not like the artificial sweetners, but if it makes me drink more liquids like tea, then that is what i gotta do. I do not like the natural sweetner, the name slips my mind right now. I dont look it as a diet, I look at it as a lifestyle change for life! I never had an eating disorder, I just made bad choices, ate too much sugar, and my portions were way to large. Food never made me happy so i did not have that struggle post surgery. I wish you luck in your journey!!!

Back