• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello! I am new here and look forward to getting to know you.

Shan

Hi:)

I am almost to the waiting for approval stage of my wls adventure. I am just waiting for sleep study results and crossing all my fingers and toes that my insurance will follow through. My hubby had surgery in october after some major health issues. I have waited to start this process until I was sure he was doing okay.

I just turned 40 this past november and between that and my mother passing away a couple of years ago, it got the wheels in my head turning. My mom died of heart failure and complications of diabetes. She was 69. I was her main caregiver in this last stage of her life. She only had fleeting moments where she was able to communicate what she wanted to say. One of the things that has stuck out in my mind is that she said she wished she had had wls when she was young and strong enough to withstand it.

Turning 40 has really caused me to do alot of reflecting. I don't want to live out the remainder of my life with regrets. I guess the key point is I WANT TO LIVE for the remainder of my life. I have been researching alot through this wls process and look forward to learning more from all of you:)

Welcome! I think you have made a great decision to pursue WLS. There must be something about turning a new decade older that makes us think about changes. I turned 50 this year, and finally had my surgery. I waffled about it for 5 years, but finally took charge and did something about it. It was the best decision I have ever made. I think you will feel the same way too. Are you diabetic? This will be the beginning of a new life for you.

Welcome to the Forum, Shan. Congratulations on your decision to have WLS. It is really a way to get healthy again. I had my surgery at the ripe old age of 69 and my results have been slower than I had hoped but I have had results and am glad I made the decision. Good luck as you continue on this journey. You are wise to do it earlier rather than later. Come back often with questions as there are some very knowledgeable people here and of course we would like to know how you are doing. Joy

thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome ladies:) Missirenee I am not diabetic but my bloodwork showed an increased risk for it.

Welcome to the board Shan. Congrats on starting down this road called WLS. It is not an easy road, there are potholes all over the place. If you follow your Doctors plan and work at it, you WILL lose weight. The best part about this journey is how quickly you will lose it. I hope your remaining results come in quickly and your insurance company responds fast. Keep in touch, we care.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks for the welcome Dcepello:) I have to say in many ways forty feels fabulous:) I pray that my approval comes through and I can kick my forties off with a jump start to a new way of living. I definitely am looking at this surgery as a tool and not a fix all. I plan to take full advantage of it's benefits though. Thanks for all of the words of support and encouragement. I am hoping to hear from the sleep clinic today or tomorrow so I can get this show on the road!

So I apparently have moderate sleep apnea. Will be on a cpap. Now to get the results from the sleep clinic to the BMI clinic.... How long do most people have to wait once everything is submitted to their insurance co.? I am sure it depends on what co. but would like to know how long any of you had to wait.

For me it was less than 5 days for them to disapprove my sleeve (too new) and a day to say yes to RNY.

I really don't know how long it took from the time it was submitted to insurance. My program handled all of that. It was about 3 weeks from my last required class until I heard from my case manager at Ohio State that I had been approved, and needed to schedule my pre-op appointment.

Wow! That is way faster than I expected to hear. I know the patient advocate is planning to submit mine as soon as she gets the apnea results faxed to her. Would be awesome to know sooner rather than later:) Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be soon and more importantly good news.

Okay now I at least have some kind of range looks like anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks. Thanks for your responses guys:)

Shan,
My mother and grandfather passed from diabetic complications. I myself was well on the way. i was taking 3 types of insulin and about 10 pills a day. I am so glad you decided to have WLS.
How much weight has your husband lost?

Welcome and congratulations on your decison to take back your life. I waited 10 days for a decision for the sleeve. My daughter is going through the process right now. She was also told about 10 days. I started to think about wls and had a consultation in my 40's. It took my another 10 years to fianlly make my decision. I guess I still had lessons to learn. Keep in touch and let us know when you have been approved. Wishing you the best.

welcome Shan. I will turn 50 this year and decided that I would love to live a longer life with my fantastic husband and to be here for my 2 beautiful grand daughters. I think that you have made an awesome choice. I have been researching this for 2 years and found a Center of Excellence and a doctor that I am comfortable with. we can all learn from one another. xo

Hi Shan WELCOME TO THIS FORUM, I AGREE WITH YOU , YOU'VE MADE A WONDERFUL DECESION FOR YOURSELF, I TURNED 57 AND HAD MY SURERY 6 MONTHS AGO IT WAS THE "BEST THING I HAVE DONE FOR MYSELF" NO LONGER A DIABETIC NO LONGER HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE OR CHOLESTROL. IT TURNS YOUR WHOLE WORLD AROUND FOR THE "BETTER" HANG IN THERE THE WAITING GAME IS THE HARDEST PART, IT TOOK ME 9 MONTHS TO GO THROUGH THE PROCESS BUT I AM SO GLAD I DIDN'T GIVE UP, FOR I AM HAPPIER AND HEALTHIER AND ONE DAY I WILL BE ABLE TO POST I HAVE REACHED MY GOAL, I AM 113 GONE FROM MY HIGHEST WEIGHT, I WILL NOT GIVE UP FOR I AM GONNA REACH MY GOAL IN 2013 AND CONTINUE TO GET HELATHIER. HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD DAY,DONNA(BIGTALLSIS)

Back