• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help, my hair is falling out!

julianne

I need help. My protein is between 65-85 grams a day. My friend told me to try Biotin. I don't know how much. Any ideas? I am almost 6 months post op.

Hello Julianne,

I see different recommendations on here for biotin but think between 5,000 - 10,000 mcgs per day would help. I take 5,000 and have noticed a difference in that I am no longer losing much hair like I was. It also feels thicker and even my hairdresser has noticed. They have a vitamin supplement you can pick up at Walmart that isn't very expensive called skin, hair and nails which seems to help some people. Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.

I don't remember which but flax seed or fax seed oil is another supplement good for treating hair loss.

After I had surgery my hair loss subsided after the 6th month and my doc told me that is about right. it got back to my regular thickness after a year, but I am still getting grey but my doc said that has nothing to do with the surgery. Oh well. LOL!!! Tom :cool:

I too have noticed an increased amount of hair on the shower drain. Fortunately I have very thick hair, but not willing to loose much more :) I am 15 weeks from gastric bypass and have increased my biotin intake. Hoping that will help

The dietician I see says that when you have hair loss, you should be sure you are getting in your 64 ounces of water a day. My hair dresser swears by the biotin, though.

I too am experiencing hair loss. It is freaking me out a little. I take Biotin supplements. I use nioxin spelling...shampoo or even found a biotin shampoo. Just started this stuff maybe a couple weeks ago. So guess is too soon to tell if I am doing any good.
Some stuff I read was when you get knocked out to do surgery, it causes hair loss around 3 or 4 months and peaks about 6 months or something like that. I just don't wanna be bald. skinny is good. My hairdresser tried biotin cause she wanted her hair to grow faster, said was making it really thick so she stopped.

I too am experiencing hair loss. It is freaking me out a little. I take Biotin supplements. I use nioxin spelling...shampoo or even found a biotin shampoo. Just started this stuff maybe a couple weeks ago. So guess is too soon to tell if I am doing any good.
Some stuff I read was when you get knocked out to do surgery, it causes hair loss around 3 or 4 months and peaks about 6 months or something like that. I just don't wanna be bald. skinny is good. My hairdresser tried biotin cause she wanted her hair to grow faster, said was making it really thick so she stopped.
The nioxin I usedwas not sold in stores, only in salons.

I take 7,000 mcg of Biotin a day. I also use nioxin shampoo. I bought it on amazon, but I now see it at CVS. I have lost a great deal of hair and I did not lose weight quickly. Make sure your protein is high enough. I decided to get a short hair cut and it has been about 8 weeks and my hair texture is feeling better. People like the new hairdo and I am getting used to it. You won't go bald, but your hair can thin. Some people have the problem and others don't. If you are dong everything you can, you might just have to wait and in times things will change. I know this can be a difficult time, but hang in there.

Back