• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi, I'm new to the site.

LauraLeigh

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I started losing weight by using MyFitnessPal on Easter of last year, weighing roughly 420 lbs. I had gastric bypass surgery on 12/26, so I'm 4 weeks out today and down to 306 lbs.
I'm a little disappointed at the moment because I lost 30 lbs my first 2 weeks out and only 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. The doctors aren't worried and say a stall at this point is very normal and I'm actually ahead of the game. But I'm still kind of terrified that I'm going to be the one person out there this surgery doesn't work for. And yes, I am following my directions to the absolute t. I was told to keep doing what I'm doing and the weight will come off, but I'm having a hard time finding comfort in that.
So, that's pretty much my story.

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I started losing weight by using MyFitnessPal on Easter of last year, weighing roughly 420 lbs. I had gastric bypass surgery on 12/26, so I'm 4 weeks out today and down to 306 lbs.
I'm a little disappointed at the moment because I lost 30 lbs my first 2 weeks out and only 1 lb in the last 2 weeks. The doctors aren't worried and say a stall at this point is very normal and I'm actually ahead of the game. But I'm still kind of terrified that I'm going to be the one person out there this surgery doesn't work for. And yes, I am following my directions to the absolute t. I was told to keep doing what I'm doing and the weight will come off, but I'm having a hard time finding comfort in that.
So, that's pretty much my story.

Hi Laura Leigh, WELCOME to the forum!!! You definitely will start to lose again, it's just mother nature trying to keep you from starving to death. The weight falls off then the weight loss slows, then the scale will move again. We have all been through it. You will do great!

Hi Laura Leigh, WELCOME to the forum!!! You definitely will start to lose again, it's just mother nature trying to keep you from starving to death. The weight falls off then the weight loss slows, then the scale will move again. We have all been through it. You will do great!

By the way, 30 lb in 2 wks is awesome!!!

Hi LauraLeigh! Welcome to our forum you've come to the right place. First off CONGRATULATIONS! for first taking off 84 lbs before WLS and then another 30 in two weeks, you have done excellent work and should give yourself a big hug and pat on the back for all that hard work.

Cheyenne is right we all go through this and we all feel the same panic/shame/blame scenario in our own individual ways. It's interesting how same and different we all are. But do know that when you do feel bad you have friends here to listen and help. We're all in this together and that's a pretty powerful place to be, so smile we've got your back.

Welcome to the forum. You've done great so far and will continue to do so with your good attitude. Who is this 1 person who hasn't lost weight with WLS???? I'd like to meet them! My doctor told me that when people come to him and say they can't lose after WLS, when they do more research they find that they haven't been following their meal and exercise plan. It's so important to weigh and measure your food and follow directions. Good luck and stay with the forum.

Thank you, guys. Your support means the world to me right now. :)
I understand that my fears are a wee bit irrational at this point, but they exist anyway. I'm trying to take it one day at a time. And yes, the measuring spoons and cups, and just recently the food scale, have become my best friends.
Thanks again.

Hey there! I feel the same as you I am 7 weeks post op and have gone fro 302lbs nov 12th to 287 the day of surgery to now I am about 256. I feel like I am stuck and that I am not losing as quick as I feel I should but then I look back a week and I have lost 5 pounds. Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone has there plateus at different times, follow your doctors recommendations and keep up your awesome work.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

As long as you are following the guidelines the weight will come off.

Also, Welcome to the forum.

I am almost 3 months post op and I have seen about 3 weight plateaus already and one week where I gained weight. That was explained by the fact that my Doctor told me two things, I was dehydrated and to stop my diuretic. I don't need it anymore. The body took a week to readjust, hydrate and I actually gained 6 pounds during that week. However, it is all off and more now.

Remember you took a long time to get to where you are at 306. You also had a fantastic start from 420 down to 306. You should expect that it will take time to lose all the weight. For you don't be surprised that it may take up to 2 years. The first year will be definitely more than the second year. I know one forum participant at my local support group that lost 200+ pounds in about a year and a half.

So, be patient and be kind to yourself. This is a journey one day at a time. Also, besides weight start to keep track of other measurements both waistline and wherever else you like to tape measure as well as blood pressure, resting pules.

Also, keep track of when you can stop a particular medicine. A daily ache that suddenly lessens and/or disappears. There are so many measures of success.

Ralph

Don't be upset. You are still on goal for losing weight. Everyone is different and you should take things slow. I had the same issues that you had and I've lost almost 100 pounds in the last 5 months. You can do it to. I had a hard time in finding comfort as well but the weight will come off. Take it one day at a time, that's what I do and I eat smaller meals every few hours. Make sure you drink fluids. I had that issue of not drinking to much liquids and I felt weak. So my liquid intake is not a gallon per day of either water or sugar free drinks.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Back