• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

how long after surgery can i walk?

mwjmba

My bariatric sleeve surgery is scheduled on June 9. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time.
Most my questions are about immediately after surgery. I am a stay at home Dad because of pain issues.
My question is this: How quickly after surgery will i be able to walk. i was hoping that at a week after
surgery i could walk and drive and help with my six year old twins? The wife and I need to gauge how much time
my mother and father need to drive to help us.

I really appreciate any feedback. This question is my last "apprehension question". I would love to have a clearer picture
of how long i will be in bed after surgery.

Thanks Again.

mwjmba

It is all dependent on you....

I was up right after my RNY, literally within 10 to 15 minutes out of surgery and being wheeled into the recovery room..

It is up to you and how your body responds.

I was up within 30 min. The day I went home is the only day I didn't do to much. I just wanted to sleep, after that it was walk and walk and try to get in activity. No lifting anything heavy was the only limit put upon me.

Hope that helps

Once you are out of the recovery room and in your hospital bed you will be encouraged to get up and walk if you were able to walk when you arrived. You will be limited to 10 pounds of lifting for a couple of months. As long as you are taking narcotic pain medicine you will not be allowed to drive.

I didn't get to walk until later that afternoon. I had my surgery really early in the morning. I then got up to my room it took me awhile to fully wake up and once I was good and awake I was encouraged to walk. The first couple of times I walked with the nurse. The next day I had a friend visit me and she was able to walk with me. After that I walked a lot until I went home. Like Gr8k8 said you will be limited to 10lbs of lifting for a couple of months. If you do end up taking something for pain you wont be able to drive. I was told not to drive for the first two weeks. I t will depend on your surgeon. Good luck and keep us posted.

TillieS

Lots of great answers here.

I walked the very first day too.

Once home you slowly build up how far you walk. Don't overdo it. However, it is up to you. Everything during the first month is with the caution of realizing you are healing from major surgery. You will know how far you can go.

Ralph

Back