• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

how long dose it take

after you finish you last step of the program how long dose it take to get your date for surgery. i really hope it dose not take a long time

It depends on your program, and the doctors schedule. As soon as I got to my goal weight, I called, but then I had to get a CPAP machine, so that prolonged it a bit. But as soon as I got that, I had a date little over two weeks out!

I was very surprised that my insurance approved the procedure about a week after it was sent in. I was expecting it to take a month. It took a few more weeks to get a date that worked with the surgeon. It was worth the wait!

It depends about how efficient the doctor's office staff is, and how persistent you are. I waited a month after they said they filed insurance only to be told they needed approval from my PCP (which was completed months before). Then when they actually filed, it took 2 weeks to the day to get insurance approval. But then they told me I had to pay my co-pay before they could schedule. So I had to wait another couple of weeks before I had the money.
But I was not aggressive about calling and getting all the information I needed.

I had the same trouble with my Dr.'s office. I thought I had all the paperwork in and was just waiting approval. It turns out it sat for 2 weeks because they were waiting for approval from an allergist because of a bad reaction I had once to a particular medicine--turned out NOT to be an allergic reaction, but all that had to be documented and nobody informed me what was needed. I got them the proper forms, and my surgery was approved less than a week after being submitted.

My doctor set my surgery for 3 months out to give the insurance company enough time to approve it, go through the 3 visits with a nutritionist - each a month apart - and have time for a psych eval, all of which is required by the insurance company.

Back