• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

how many times do you eat?

I eat my normal 2oz of protein and some veggies and then about two hours later I'm hungry again? I feel like I'm always putting food in my mouth... Anyone else? :confused:

I didn't start feeling hungry until about 5 or 6 weeks after surgery so I started eating a little more. I eat 5 times a day and once in a while I have an extra snack if I stay up real late. If I try to eat meat or something that isn't moist and EXTREMELY tender I can only eat 2 or 3 bites before my pouch starts hurting and become nauseated. When this happens I end up feeling hungry about an hour or so afterward so I eat again or have a protein shake.

Hi Crymsynslady, it does seem like we are doing is eating sometimes, I didn't really didn't start to feel hungry until almost a year post surgery, but remember we are all different. I have been eating 4 to 5 small meals a day since surgery, if I am expending a lot of energy I sometimes have to eat every 2 hours but that is usually in the summer when I am fighting fires. It only feels like we are eating all day because our meals are so small that if we want to get the protien we need we eat several small meals a day with lots of fluid in between meals (fluids were the hardest for me), I like to call it the dibetic meal plan, my wife was diabetic and that is how she always had to eat to keep her blood surgar levels stable. It also helps speed up the matablism so it helps us burn calories more efficiently. Make sure you drink fluids waiting about 45 mins to an hour after your meal, that might help you feel full longer. :cool: Tom

I am just the opposite. I am never hungry. I can go all day without eating. I think it is because I try so hard to get in all my liquid. The protein drinks really fill me up. I drink Premier Protein Shake (30 grams of protein) with my morning vitamins. Sometimes it takes me over 2 hours to finish the 11 ounces. Then, since the protein makes me thirsty I drink a Crystal Light or something similar. At about 4pm I take another protein drink-a different type so to mix the types of protein. I was told to drink only Whey Protein Isolate and the Premier has a mixture of proteins in it. It is not all whey isolate. So I found NECTAR which I like because it is fruity and I have been craving fruit. It has 23 grams of protein. I guess I could add more powder to increase the protein count but I am afraid I might not like the taste. So, since that only adds up to 53 grams of protein and I need 70 grams of protein a day I need to make up a difference. That is why I eat food. I eat because I have to get in more protein.
Maybe since you are eating veggies along with your protein is why you are hungry. It is something to look into. I am not allowed to eat anything but protein until I lose 75% of my weight. It is something I have to deal with. I know when I do, I will treasure every bit. You know sometimes I will bite into like a string bean, taste it and then spit it out. It takes care of my need to have something else.
I hope this helps. You are an awesome lady. You have helped me so much and I hope I have done some good for you.

Desertgirl-I enjoy your posts too and find your information helpful:) It's funny how meal plans vary from surgeon to surgeon. You are on all protein and at the meal phase I am in I was told to make sure I eat veggies and fruit and a lot of other things along with my protein.

your body requires 70 gms. of proteinga day and you may need to eat more usuall it is 3meals and 2 snacls. protein shakes are a good way to do that now. There is no reason early on that you should expwerience hunger anless you aren''t getting enough PATTI

Hi everybody. Well, I need some guidance I think. I'm a little over a month post op, and feel that I don't eat often enough because I'm just not hungry! Mornings I drink a myoplex lite protein drink, usually chocolate fudge, and 1/2 hour later, big glass of vitamin water which I sip until it's gone. Lunch, soup with added protein powder, about 1/2 cup. Mid afternoon snack, sugar free popsicle. Then regular food for dinner which is usually grilled or baked fish ( I have been craving only fish), and a couple of spoonfuls of cooked vegetables, like spinach or broccoli. After dinner, water or sugar free Koolaid, and sometimes a popsicle before bed.

I've lost 35 pounds, and my surgeon gave me an A+ for following his plan. I do have some food phobia issues, like I feel scared to try new things. He gave the OK to eat anything I want, except bread, rice and pasta, which I have had in extremely small portions occasionally. I don't like bread anymore, which is a major change! Sometimes I like crackers, but easily live without them. When I go out to eat, I order an appetizer but only scrape out the insides and eat like 3 oz of whatever I ordered. And I do order soup quite often, and just don't eat it all. I don't take leftovers home.

Is this normal eating for us? I also take my vitamins at breakfast and dinner, and added a hair, nails and skin supplements at the advice of my hairdresser since my hair is so thin, but it always was!
Also, the doctor took me off the insulin pump, and it appears that I am no longer diabetic, so I am thrilled with this one! And my CPAP provider confiscated my machine because I no longer have health insurance, but my surgeon said I don't need it anymore, anyway, so good riddance.

I am really happy with the results of the surgery so far, and I see the slimming of my face and neck. I'm starting to also notice my clothes are bigger, even bras! My fear is that this wonderful trend will end, as it has so many times in the past when I dieted, but the pouch definitely seems to work well, and I pray to keep losing until I reach my goal weight. The strange thing is that I can drink an 11 oz protein shake (Myoplex Lite) every morning. Seems like it's too much, but it doesn't make me feel bad or even overly full.

Please give me any suggestions or comments. It's so hard to contact my nutritionist, but I follow the guide given to me by my surgeon's nurse.

Hi Valjac, I think that sound perfectly normal to me, I too like fish and the funny thing is I haven't liked eating fish except once in ablue moon for many years:p. Do a quick protien count and make sure you are getting anough protien in (for most it is 60 grams), if you are, no worries or no need to change a thing, if you need more protien just add something with protien to your snack or to your drinks, there are different drink powders that are very low calorie but add protien to your fluids.

Your doing a Great job:D add things to your meals as you want, there is no hurry to try different foods eventually you will add things here and there. I am 2+ years out and I am losing weight slowly, I think the pouch will only stop working when we stop using the habits we have learned to make the pouch work, but in the first year everything happens so quickly, you may have some plateuas but don't get discouraged they are normal and if you resist weighing every day they will pass quickly. keep doing what your doing. :cool: Tom

I try to eat 5 times per day plus a protein shake. Sometimes I feel like I have to force myself to eat that fifth time.

Welcome, Valjac, you're eating habits sound fine to me. Just make sure you get the appropriate amount of protein per day.

VALJAC-Outstanding job!!! Our food requirements vary from person to person so "normal" doesn't apply. If your surgeon said you are an A+ then I wouldn't worry about how much you eat as long as you aren't hungry all the time and that you are getting at least the minimum amount of protein you were told to have (60 grams?). However, it is critical to get your blood work done at whatever intervals your surgeon recommends which is usually every 6 months to a year. Nutritionist's have a much better understanding about food requirements than a surgeon so you should touch base with your nutritionist once in a while just to keep yourself safe. Just keep calling until you reach him / her.

A word of caution regarding your CPAP. I understand your circumstances, BUT, unless you have a sleep study there is no sure way to determine if you still need to use it. My surgeon told me to continue using my CPAP and make an appointment with the sleep medicine doc one year post op so he can determine when to conduct a study. You should also continue to check your blood sugar level once in a while just to make sure you stay within a normal range. You need to continue to get an annual diabetic eye exam too until your PCP authorizes you to discontinue.

Hair, Skin and Nails-wonderful stuff!!! My hair started thinning out during my second month post op. I started taking this supplement and within 3 weeks the thinning hair stopped completely. My nails are growing faster and are much stronger plus the dry patches of skin on my elbows and palms of my hands have improved 90%. Although my hair is extra fine it's looking healthier in texture and shinier like when I was younger :)

Try not to be overly concerned about the weight loss trend ending like dieting does. That tiny pouch will keep us on track unless we abuse our meal plans. Being able to drink an 11 ounce protein drink or any other liquid is perfectly normal. Because it is thin compared to food it pushes itself through your pouch as you are drinking it which is why you don't feel overly full.

Keep up the excellent work my friend. I hope my comments helped you out.

Thanks fellas. I appreciate your comments. Today I haven't eaten anything yet, and it's 1:10, so I have to force some protein in. I am drinking, though. Weird how after the bypass eating habits just change.
My daughter just called to tell me she was eating a hoagie. In the recent past, I would have wanted one, too. But I shrugged when she said it, and told her try to stop eating heart attack food. She is preparing to have the surgery also, so I try to encourage her now to eat better choices. Oh well....LOL

Hi Pat!
Thanks so much. I agree about the CPAP, but insurance is my biggest problem. Until I get some, I can't do much of anything, unfortunately. I do check my sugars and they are still great, so I must be eating better, of course I am! LOL Congratulations on your progress! Way to go!

Valjac51,
I had my surgery just 4 days after you. I also am not hungry. Some days I still do not eat anything. I cannot get the 64oz of water and 50gm of protein. I just got“nectar” called double stuffed Oreo. I had one this morning. Pretty good. It takes me too long to drink anything because I am afraid of over filling my pouch.
I also have some sugar free popsicles as well as fudge bars. Tonight I had one small bite of broccoli one bite of cauliflower and about 5 bites of chicken. I have not tried bread yet but I would love to have a salad.
I see my surgeon again next week
It takes me a while to take all of my pills also. I take them with a protein shake while I surf the internet. I want so badly to toss my Cpap machine! I hate that thing

Back