• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I just want to walk

Pat99

Right now I am not getting much exercise at all with the exception of barely being able to move around the house with a rollator (walker with wheels and hand brakes). I am wheelchair dependant when I leave my house because I can only walk very short distances with the rollator. My issue with not being able to walk largely stems from needing a hip replacement, a bad back and significant arthritis. Once I have my WLS and lose weight I am hoping and praying to be able to walk using only a cane. I will go to the mall or WalMart and walk at least every other day. Once I am able to do that and know that I can get up if I fall I will add weekly nature trail walks to my routine. Better yet, I can walk outside more frequently at several local schools that have outdoor tracks. I used to love walking when I was able to and would even get up early almost every weekday to take my dog for a 1 ½ mile walk before work, even if it was raining or snowing. I miss walking, bike riding, swimming, workouts at Curves, mowing the lawn, raking the leaves and all of the other physical activities I used to take for granted. I used to do all of these activities even when I weighed 12-15 pounds more than I do now. All of that gradually stopped between 2001 and 2008 after 2 back surgeries and degenerative arthritis ruining my right hip over a period of about 6 years. All of that aside, I just want to walk. It wouldn't take much to make me happy :)

Hi Pat,
I am sure you will be able to get around better once you have surgery and start shedding some lbs, of course it won't happen over night, but you will be able to feel it as the weeks go by. There are people in my support group who are in the boat as needing surgery, and after a few months they can get around much better, it's great to see the progress with all the folks in my support group. When it comes to ourselves it doesn't seem as apparent as it does with every one else, at least until the cloths start getting to big. Your doing great, it's less than a month away, If you haven't been going to a bariatric support group yet, find one in your area, they are a great insipation. Good luck. :cool: Tom

ep tryingpat I weigh 200 lbs and because of hips and knees I don't tolerate walking well. my answer is the Y where I can get in the pool and feel free from pain,paddle around float on my back and run i the water. I alternate this with gettting in the hot tub and letting all the sore muscles relaz. I alternate this process for about 90 min then I am ready to return to my world...thereal one.I feel rested and relaxed. I learned the hard way don't do this and followit up with grocery shopping...too much in one day..patti

Patti- What a wonderful idea! Years ago I used to swim at the Y 2 or 3 days a week before going to work. I was working afternoons at the time so it worked out perfectly. I have to laugh thinking back to a particular incident at work. The HR manager asked to speak to me in her office. She was questioning why my eyes were bloodshot on a regular basis. It seems that a couple of my co-workers noticed this and the word got back to management. As straight laced as I am I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I explained that I swim at the Y before work and the chlorine turns my eyes red. Although this seemed to satisfy the HR manager, I insisted that a blood test for illegal drugs and alcohol be done. My request was denied so I had my PC order the testing. I gave the HR manager a copy of the results as well as posting them on the various bulletin boards throughout the facility. This immediately stopped the gossiping about me and sent the busy bodies looking for “trouble” in a different direction *LOL*

I will definitely go back to the Y for swimming if I become mobile enough to get in and out of the pool and don’t run such a big risk of slipping and falling on the wet floors. It will be great to be able to swim again and also to enroll in the water aerobics classes! I have a hot tub at home but haven’t been able to use it for the last 3 or 4 years because I can no longer safely maneuver the 3 steps to get in and out. I used to use it year round even though it’s outside; it made for some interesting situations in the winter months *LOL* I learned to place a few rugs around so the bottoms of my feet wouldn’t stick to the frozen ground :)

ifyou wear shower shoes with a non skid bottom you'll be safer and less likely to slip. I have to do this myself. we will make it one day at a time and just a reminder tomorrow is theday to start my 5 day pouch test. wish me luck.patti

Back