• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap band conversion to sleeve

LouHague

I had a lap band put in 2014, did a lot of throwing up and developed a large hiatal hernia. The fluid was removed from the band and now I'm waiting to have the sleeve operation. I'm a little nervous every and need reassurance.

Hello,

Sorry of how this all unfolded. I too was vomiting a lot. It was really hard to keep things down. However, I just got 1cc fluid taken out to see if that helps me out. I was given the option to get the sleeve done or the full gastric bypass. I don't want either of those, so I just said I would try it out with less fluid to see if I can get a hold of everything. So far so good. I notice that I am hungry a lot but, I am re-teaching myself to eat at certain times and to be satisfied without the heavy snacking. Again, so far so good. The band is reversible, all others are not. I just worry that if I was to get anything else, and it doesn't do anything for me, that...that's it. Nothing else can be done. The band can be taken out for a few months then put back in and start over. That's the only option I think I might go with. I love my band. The band and I haven't always agreed with each other, but right now we are on great terms.

If the hernia was removed, why is it that the sleeve is an option? It would be that to make sure you don't drink anything before you eat, at least about 30 min and after. That way you aren't throwing up. Chew food till it's liquid in your mouth, don't take big bites, nothing that is dry. Have you tried changing up things?

I am just wanting to know a little more is all, not judging or mean to make you feel as if you don't know what you are doing.

Be blessed,

Debbie

I'm having a revision from a band to bypass for the same issues. Right now I'm having a burning sensation around my band and I have no idea what that is. I'm going for a partial unfill in July and hoping for relief.

I had a lap band put in 2014, did a lot of throwing up and developed a large hiatal hernia. The fluid was removed from the band and now I'm waiting to have the sleeve operation. I'm a little nervous every and need reassurance.
When is your surgery? I opted for the sleeve because it is the closest to natural as we can get with these surgeries. Then I saw Dr. Oz had a show about the sleeve and it assured me that I was making the right choice.

Last edited:
When is your surgery? I opted for the sleeve because it is the closest to natural as we can get with these surgeries. Then I saw Dr. Oz had a show about the sleeve and it assured me that I was making the right choice.

I'm still going through my insurance requirements and will be completed in September. I'm looking at a November surgery. I am going to Europe in October so I'm waiting until I get back lol.
My surgeon recommended revision to RnY and I've done more research on this and this is the plan for me. I am soooo over this band and I'm so disappointed in all the issues I've had with it. This burning sensation is the worst and I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it and I can't wait to get an unfill.

Reactions: Lea
I'm still going through my insurance requirements and will be completed in September. I'm looking at a November surgery. I am going to Europe in October so I'm waiting until I get back lol.
My surgeon recommended revision to RnY and I've done more research on this and this is the plan for me. I am soooo over this band and I'm so disappointed in all the issues I've had with it. This burning sensation is the worst and I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it and I can't wait to get an unfill.
I am sorry you are having so many complications with the band. :( I personally know people who have gotten the RNY done and they all have been great. It's really up to the individual how they keep the weight off and don't go back into old habits. When I decided to have the surgery, that is when I started removing foods from my daily useage. Just so I didn't fall back into my old habits. I am on the two week liquid diet and this is the hardest thing yet (I still have a family to cook for). I have 7 days til surgery and my family is stuck with sandwiches and chips until then. lol

I'm having a revision from a band to bypass for the same issues. Right now I'm having a burning sensation around my band and I have no idea what that is. I'm going for a partial unfill in July and hoping for relief.
Hi!
I am new here today and saw your post. I had a lapband, done in 2008. I lost 130 lbs, but later gained it all back. I had trouble with the band and developed a hernia... also my esophagus stretched out considerably because I went a long time with my band being too full. Anyways... In April I had it removed and got a sleeve. I'm glad I did it, but I am not losing weight as fast as expected. I've lost about 24 lbs quickly, but haven't lost anything in the past 3 weeks or so. For some reason I feel hungry all the time! of course, I eat much less, but I am eating often. I was told my hunger would lessen when I had the surgery. Obviously, not the case. But... I have 3 family members that have had the surgery with much success. I'm curious if others have experienced what I have.

~Karen

Back