• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lasix (Fluid Pills)

I have to take 120 MG of Lasix each day along with my blood pressure medicine to keep my blood pressure within a normal range and reduce excess fluid around my ankles. Does anyone else take this medicine after gastric bypass?

Hi Barbara, I did not take that high BP medicine but I did take high BP meds for about a week after surgery and my BP started dropping dangerously low so I discontinued taking it (on a friday) and told my doctor on Monday:rolleyes: after being scolded for stopping my meds without calling:eek: she told me I didn't need to take it any more because my BP was in the normal range, I still continue to monitor my BP and it is always about 110/60 +/-. I was also taken of my cholesterol meds the first month. We are all different when it comes to going off our meds and I don't recommend stopping them without your doctors permission, the key is to keep a close eye on your BP and if you are diabetic your blood surgars so they don't bottom out and cause a medical emergency. As your BP drops hopefully the fluid will stop building up in your ankles. :cool: Tom

I had heard that most people are able to discontinue taking BP meds after the surgery, but I had no idea it could happen that fast. I had assumed that it would take place several months after the surgery.

I've been procrastinating calling my Nephrologist. I think I'd better call him today, because my surgery date is quickly approaching. You know how fast time fly's. I have a stethoscope and know how to use it. It sounds like it would be a good idea for me to monitor my BP's on a daily basis after the surgery. It would certainly be nice to go off the BP meds. I have to take a lot of medicines, and that would be 5 pills less that I'd have to take. Thanks so much for the information.

Hi, Barbara,

As is so often said, but no less true, everybody's different.

Your question is best put to your surgeon and/or your pcp. And I would ask sooner, rather than later, just so you won't have to be concerned about it.

My son had the MGB 8/10/12. His surgeon took him off diabetes (metformin) and bp meds the night before surgery; he has not gone back on them. His bp readings are excellent; blood sugars consistently in the 90s.

Diuretics in general and Lasix in particular are a whole other issue. I can't imagine your doctor will continue you on Lasix post-op. One of the characteristics of Lasix is that it WILL take fluids from your body, regardless of whether you have any extra to give. And post-op you will need to be diligent to take in sufficient fluid to keep you healthy; you certainly are unlikely to have any extra.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! You must be very excited!!!

Thanks for your advice. I have had problems with fluid retention along with high blood pressure. That's why the Lasix dosage is so high. I've made a note, though, to contact my Nephrologist in the morning.

Back