• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lost that loving feeling

missk64

Hi! I am Karen from Florida. I had RNY in 2008 and lost 240 pounds. My life changed drastically , but I did what everyone said to be careful of, I pushed. I tested to see if I would get dumping syndrome, nope, could eat anything but rice. My sweet tooth came back. My family was still eating the foods I had loved so much. My RNY was not in love with me anymore!!!!!!! I need help!

Anyone out there that has had the same problem I would love to hear from you.

My name is Vickie, I had my surgery April 25, 2012. I had the Sleeve. So far I have lost about 70 pounds. Are you eating more than u should? I could eat foods I'm not suppose, but my surgery is so new to me.

eating too much!

Yes I am eating way too much. The first 18 months was my honeymoon period. I ate so little, followed the plan, had no problems. My old self snuck in the backdoor and I started eating a little past full, then a little more, things I shouldn't like carbs. I just can not get back to my plan. I tried the 5 day pouch test over a year ago and did well with it, tried again the last couple of weeks and I can't past the first day. I just want carbs all the time!

Some advice? If you aren't supposed to eat it, don't try. Once you get a taste of it again you will want it all the time.

miss you've gone to far to let this stop you. I've just had the surgery done so I'm a long ways off.Are you getting enough exercise? Try to keep yourself occupied because that's the real culpert. Go on one of the pages there are people to help you through. Vent, rage, cry, do what you gotta do to fight. Good Luck, There are lots of nice people to help. Diana

I either go gung ho on the exercise or none at all. Wow! you did just have your surgery. Congrats! People told me to enjoy my honeymoon period with the surgery and I did. The weight will feel like you are losing fast, then plateau, then fast again. I had the surgery, went from a tight size 32 to a 12 in the blink of an eye. Now a size 18. I refuse to buy clothes because I have so many 12's. I will get back in them. Don't let me discourage you. The transformation is amazing. I have an identical twin and she still has trouble finding me in a crowd. That is an awesome feeling and scarey at the same time. Good luck. Oh and don't drink when you eat!!!! Still my downfall.

Karen, congratulations on your successes. It sounds like you know what you need to do to get back on track. Like Nancy Reagan used to say JUST SAY NO to the carbs.
One of the veterans in my face-to-face support groups (she's about 3 years out) says it's ESSENTIAL to go to support group meetings. She calls herself an alcoholic, but with carbs.

thanks for the support

I have the best of intentions, just need to get going. I have looked into a support group here in Tampa, but have not been able to find one. When I attended them in south Florida I was a newbie and so was everyone else, never anyone more than a couple months out. I am frustrated because I think when you are this far out you are either successful and don't feel you need to go, or you have gained your weight back and ashamed to go. I am in the middle and want to step on the brakes, quickly.

Missk-If you can't find a bariatric surgery support group try finding a TOPS meeting. Several people in this forum attend the TOPS meetings and say they are wonderful.

Will any of this help?

Post-Operative Weight Loss Surgery Support Group
This support group is designed to provide post operative support to patients who have had weight loss surgery.
Dates: Meets 3rd Tuesday of each month
Time: 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Location: Tampa General Hospital Rehabilitation Center, 2nd Floor, Rehab Activity Room
Contact: Susan Orellana, (813) 844-7473; sorellan@health.usf.edu

WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY: The Gulfcoast Central Florida Weight Loss Surgery Support Group is for anyone who is thinking about, plans to have or has had weight loss surgery. This group is not affiliated with any hospital or surgeons. Call (352) 597-2895.

Bariatric Surgery Seminar and Support Group ... - Tampa Bariatrics www.tampabariatrics.com/pub/doc/schedule.html
Dr. Alfredo Fernandez ... 7171 NORTH DALE MABRY HWY., TAMPA, FL 33614 ...

Support Groups - Tampa Bay Weight Loss | BayCare Health System ... tampabayweightloss.org

There are many TOPS meetings in the Tampa area.

Let us know how you make out.

Karen, Please don't be ashamed to get back in and admit where you went wrong. You have done a tremendous thing by losing 200 pounds, you should be proud of yourself. Also, you are not the first person to backslide. Think of all those people at home needing support, but too ashamed to go to a support meeting! YOU ARE NOT ALONE. This support group will always be there for you, you just have to ask.

Back