• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My best advice to pre-op newbies

Welchen

You know, I'm thinking I may need to go to another forum because I'm 7 years out and not a newbie. Hope you guys don't mind my haunting the board - I have trouble sleeping.

Here are a few things I think you need to do when you start this journey.

1. Get a BIG binder and keep all your test results, paperwork, follow up, etc. It took me forever to get all my testing done. If you deal with social services I would also save all their paperwork and the envelopes (you'll need to prove timeframe for receipt of mail sometimes). You"ll also be getting a ton of paperwork, pouch rules, suggestions - etc. I used to work where I had access to free printing and I printed so much research stuff that I still kept today.

2. Another thing I would do would be to download a blood test results chart from the file section of some of the bariatric websites. I know several groups on yahoo for gastric bypass have them. I kind of wish I had them all done pre-op so I could see the difference post op. After surg. you'll need to get them every few months and then once a year. I actually have a seperate binder I keep stuff pertaining just to me. Dexa scan results, blood test results, notes from nutritionists, mammogram results (just cause I have them). I honestly do bring that book into appt. with doctor's. I also keep prints of stuff I've read on the web, whether from medical journals, personal blogs, whatever, to show to the doctor.

3. Research your surg. Check with the state if there's been any lawsuits. I used to have the website for NY state but I'm sure you can google it and find it. Read other's reviews. I also think it's important to question how their aftercare is and long term care. Ask questions... i think I walked in with 80, lol. I know there is a list of questions to ask....let me know if you're interested and I'll post it. I'm not sure if the webmaster will allow me to post links to other sites.

Try to find reviews of doctor's from people who are years out from surg. Yes, new RNY people are good resources for the surg. and pre-op. You want to know how the surg. is post op. How do they treat people who have had complications? Do they have a bariatric co-ordinator to help with all the insurance issues, etc. Ask if they've ever had people with complications? What is their response? Can they do more than one type of procedure diudinal switch/RNY/whatever? Has anyone died? Had anyone ever had to have a reversal or complications leading to more radical surg.? (Yeah, I'm the research queen)

Feel out their support group. Most surg. and bariatric centers have them. Do they have speakers come in? Are there members who are a few years out or is it made up of people new to 2 years (they'd still be in the honeymoon stage). Is it a suport group or a sales meeting? I've been to few like that. Did the leader of the group at least have the surg?

4. Be honest with yourself and make sure you have a support network in place. Depression is common after surg. You also have to worry about addiction. If you're severly overweight you have a eating disorder....this can easily translate to a drinking problem, sexual addiction, etc. Losing 100lbs is a big deal, a big change. Especially for you but sometimes people can react badly. When I lost 130 lbs it was a big diffence - I'd always been overweight. I started dating, I had trouble with co-workers because I became more vocal about stuff, my personality change somewhat.

My biggest stumbling block came when my brother was ill and eventually died....my old cooping mechanism was food. Food was comfort. I also fell back on old behaviors of taking care of others before taking care of myself. Find alternate supports and be willing to seek help be it support groups, therepy, etc. RNY can be a great thing but you could have ghost come out of the closet, stuff that could have made you gain weight in the first place.

5. Make the most of your honeymoon period - when you'll lose the most weight. That is the time to develope good habits.

6. Keep a journal. And yeah, I know where you can download the template for one of those too! Write down why you want this surg., your expections of yourself and the surg. It might help to look back at and read when times get tough. It's also a good way to track anything "weird" as you heal.

7. Remember to ask questions both pre op and post op. Some may be embarrassing but that's the beauty of the internet!

Hope this helps.

Deb

Wel Deb, I am glad you are here and pay no attention to that stupid tab by your name, you are by no means a newbie. Your advice is very helpfull to those just beginiing thier journey to those of us just a couple years out, I wish I had this forum before I had my surgery I would have requested all my blood tests but I guess it is never to late to start. I really appriciate the advice you give and I do hope you keep posting the wisdome you have gained on your journey to help make our journey's easier. Thanks. :cool: Tom

DEB I think the advice you've given to us is great and thanks for taking time to share with us. It's all very beneficial I already started a folder at my first seminar and take it with me to the dr visits I tell them I want a copy of what test were done and resutls for I've seen how things can mysteriously dissapear in a dr office. never hurts to have a back up plan. you're an organized and honest person glad to have met you through this site.
I hope you come back and share again with us more of your helpful insights
Donna

Bigtallsis,

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't found my "home" on this site yet. I actually posted the advice to newbies in the Introductions section. The webmaster moved it. I have a lot of stuff that I've downloaded from all over the place - especially when I was pre surg. Eventually I want to add them to the file section of this site to help people. I just don't want to step on anyone's toes as far as copywrites. I belong to a lot of gastric bypass/wls groups on yahoo...not just RNY but sleeve and diudanal switch sites too. The message portion might not be too active, could be dead, but I always make a point to check out the file section of the group...usually a good place to find lab tracker forms, journal forms, questions for surg., specific readings ( usually medical/nutritional journals or handouts from doc's) regarding stuff like iron and surg. specific issues that come up. I'm really trying to create an actual in person group in my area because there really isin't one close to me.

To find in person groups I'd try Meet.com (all types of social groups based on zipcodes - really cool groups from writing to politics to health issues) and then there's Obesityhelp.com. The last one is also a good resource when you've got questions but can't find answers - there are a lot of followers there too.

Or, you can always private message me if I don't see a someone answering one of my posts because it's been moved. I'm trying to get myself back on track - I really made a mess of things for myself healthwise so I need support too!

Deb

Deb - In case the forum won't allow you to post the 80 questions, would you mind E-mailing them to me? Also, any more data you might have that you think might be important. My e-mail address is barbaracook1969@att.net. Thanks for your help. You gave some good advice.

Deb=youoffer some great advice. Thank you. I will be having my surgery soon so any advice from pros such as yourself i sure do appreciate!!!

Deb, are you on facebook or anything? I would love to chat with you more on the subject as well as I would love all the information I can get. I'm an "Information Junkie"!! LOL My family says I research too much, but I don't think that could ever be true!

Hollie-No such thing as too much research, knowledge is power. I spent over 6 years researching. I would love to hear Deb's advice too and I am sure many other's would too. Since most of us like to hear about real life experience why not post it on this forum or start a blog here?

Hollie,

sorry, I'm not on facebook. Don't really have anything like a blog either. News on me....and another warning to you guys. I had most of my blood work done this summer. My normal doc is on maternity leave and I had to fight with the guy filling in - 3 times I've gone in to ask for what I need and still he won't give me the full list. Then, I get back results and he tells me "you're a little low". I posted the results on another forum I go to and got multiple responses telling me to go to a hemotologist. Went to one yesterday and now I need to get iron infusions because of how bad my blood work is....and my primary and OB/GYN have all kind of ignored the results because they were "within range".

Same on the B12 (going to try shots) and D3. For D3 they'll prescibe 50,000 units of it to try and get your levels up. RNY can't absorb gell caps or oil forms of pills. You'll need dry forms of most pills. I order subling. D3 online at 10,000IU's - and am taking about 3-4 a day to get that level up. Oh, and you need to take Vit D with a fat ( hemo told me that yesterday, news to me) so I'm taking it with Coromega (orange paste that's fish oil, not too bad tasting).

Okay, enough lecture today. Sorry if if comes off like that...

Thanks Deb,

I started doing all those things years ago because my husband did. Before that I didn't and I didn't really have access to copies and no one ever told me or suggested I keep copies. I figured when I got married and my husband did it I should too and it paid off in the long run. The one thing I haven't done is keep a food journal but I do keep a medical diary with every appointment I have including dental work and immunizations. It also includes family history.

I too had a Brother who was seriously ill and he passed away almost one week ago, and I did tend to go back to my old habits. Had to squash that right away.

Excellent advice and thanks for organizing it so well.

Deb-Thanks for the info, especially on the D3. Mine was in range but trending low at 6 months post-op. The surgeon said if it doesn't stop trending low by 9 months post-op I will need to start injections (once a week?). He didn't mention anything about oil based D3 not being absorbed and this is what I take now. I increased my dose to 2,000 IU a day but I guess this is not going to do me any good. I read on the Internet that 5,000 IU is the new suggested dose but it didn't say anything about oil vs. dry. I will still continue at 2,000 IU since my next blood work is due in about 8 weeks. My ferritin was quite high and I only take a multivitamin with iron so I don't know what's going on there. This is why I wished my insurance would have covered the sleeve, oh well!!!

Thank JavaJoy. Ironically, my brother's anniv. is next week. Can't believe it's been 5 yrs. Can't believe how bad I messed up in 5 yrs. Feel like a newbie trying to get on track....can't believe I actually miss the bad side effects that first happened after surg. THOSE kept me in line...

So, do you feel like your stomach has stretched? I don't think mine has. It's very rare that I can binge on something substantial and I still get filled fast. Thank God! Now just to stay away from slider food. Do you still follow the eating rules of no liq. during and 1/2 before and an hour after?

Good luck to you!

Deb

Pat, thanks for the condolences. He was my baby Brother, only 55. Diabetes and end stage renal disease.

Deb, I have a lap band and I don't think my pouch has stretched. My problem is sweets which are just too easy for me to digest and I am afraid I did over indulge around the time he passed away. I still eat the way they taught me, no fluids 30 minutes prior to or after a meal. Eat protein first, then veggies, and finally carbs. Stop eating when you are comfortably full (comfortable is the key word). Eat three meals a day with a couple of snacks. 60-80 Grams of protein a day and 64 ounces of liquids. I still use shakes and try for one a day. Take my vitamins, calcium, and zantac every day. Crush or cut up all meds or take liquids. The rules don't change much. It's only been 7 months and I have lost 47 pounds. I can't exercise much now that it is almost Winter. Water is too cold to swim and arthritis and fibromyalgia are very painful. I walk when I can.

It is so hard to lose a close family member. I had seen my Brother in May and thought he was doing OK and then out of a clear blue sky he was in ICU on a ventilator, then dialysis with end stage renal disease. I spoke to him on Facebook one last time about two weeks before he died. His voice box had been injured when they put in the tube for the vent so we haven't really spoken since May. He will be missed.

JavaJoy,

I find myself having the same problem now that I'm trying to get back on track. Breaking the carb habit is hard. I'm thinking about going back to the original Atkins book and do his 2 wk diet but modify if to watch for fat. I'll have to re-read it but I think it's only protein for a few days then you start adding stuff in. Problem with carbs is that they lead to craving more carbs. I'm trying to stop that by having a protein shake instead.

Another thought as I look at your name....caffeine can stimulate hunger too.

Deb

Deb,

My nickname is a mix of my initials and first name with an extra A added although I do enjoy my coffee. I am a decaf person by doctor's orders from several years ago due to an irregular heartbeat and I find it helps. They used to put caffeine with some other meds to make them work better and also use it to treat migraine headaches (mixed with ergot) but now they have other combinations that work quite well. They even used to put it in some diet pills to increase your energy level, little did they realize it also stimulated the appetite ROFL. Just ask me, I have been there. Love this lapband, it is the best thing I ever did for myself. If it fails I can still go with RNY.

Joy

Pat,

Yes, I know about the pouch test. I don't think mine has stretched that much because it all depends on what I eat. For example, I can eat a lot of pasta but only half a sandwich.

I think the key is to break the carb monster :). Right now I'm in a weight loss contest with some family members (wedding coming up). I'm hoping the friendly competition will keep me on track. Fingers, toes, knees, eyes - all crossed for luck.

Deb

Back