• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My daughter had surgery in September and has been in the hospital 25 days since then.

She’s been in for kidney stones first, that cleared and then started with increased pulse and heart issue. Today she is being admitted for pancreatitis…. Anyone else have this type of situation? She is so weak she cannot take care of her 3 yr old, isn’t strong enough to pick her up and has been out of work for 4 months. She has no quality of life and is miserable. I am so very stressed and do not know what to do.

All I can say is I hope she has a good team, and it might not be a bad idea to get multiple opinions. I had Graves Disease many years ago and saw 19 doctors before one of them decided to take the hard way and send blood off to a faraway lab. But it finally came back positive for Graves. I can't tell you how many wrong guesses and tests and radiation happened to me before that one simple little test.

This is why this old joke makes sense: What's the difference between God and a doctor? God doesn't think he's a doctor.

I'm so sorry for your daughter. And your granddaughter. I have not had any of these issues. Do they believe it is bariatric related? Is she seeing her bariatric surgeon? Also, get a second opinion. At the very least an endocrinologist. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words. She has her bariatric surgeon, a nephrologist and a cardiologist working on it. I dont know if it related or just some odd coincidence. They tell me that dehydration plays a roll in all of the issues and as you k ow she can only drink what she can when not nauseous and ends up in the er for fluids when she is. She also has an appt with her reg dr this week.
Inpatient only wants to treat the current symptom and outpatient takes weeks to months to get appts.
We are grateful for the prayers.

Sorry to hear about her difficulties. I am learning as I go along. The body is resilient and hopefully she will recover in time. I eat crushed ice all day for hydration which seems to do the trick because I can't always drink liquids so maybe she can try this too. Stay encouraged!

Back