• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My Introduction

Cheyenne

Hi! I signed up for this list last Jan. 2013 but didnt sign on regularly until a couple weeks ago which was about 3 months after my surgery. Even though I have been actively participating in answering posts recently, I haven't introduced myself so I thought I would do that today... My husband died of diabetes complications in 2010 after 43 years of marriage. So here I was in terrible health, I had a pulmonary embolism caused from pneumonia in 2011 and being severely obese didnt help anything. My cardiologist suggested that I have bariatric surgery after I recovered from the pneumonia. My surgery went well.. thanks to a wonderful doctor. So here I am.. 64 yrs old now. My health is pretty good right now and I'm looking foward to becoming normal weight and be able to walk into a store and buy a nice pair of jeans without having to order a super plus size from mail order. When I lose more weight I'm going to have my knees fixed so I can enjoy walking again. Life is looking good and I'm so thrilled to be losing weight. I just wish I would have had this bypass 20 yrs ago.

Glad to meet you, Cheyenne. It looks like we have similar backgrounds. I lost my husband in 2010 after 37 years of marriage. What a kick in the teeth. I always knew he wouldn't live to be REALLY old because of his health problems, but I didn't expect to lose him when he was only 64 years old.
I don't have diabetes **YET**, but didn't want to sit around and wait for it to happen, plus all the other health complications. I did have both my knees replaced in 2007 and 2008, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. What a great feeling to be able to walk without pain or restrictions. For several years after the knee replacements I felt good and they were working right, but I still had trouble getting up from the floor and squatting. Recently these problems have gone away, so I forget I have them at all!
Keep doin' what you're doin'.

Nice to meet you too, Karenina. Yes we sure do have similar backgrounds. It is a horrible thing to lose a husband so young. Mine was 66 yrs. old. All his life he planned to enjoy retirement and then he became so very ill with kidney failure and heart failure. It was so sad because he wanted to live so badly. I really do miss him every day.
Your surgery on Oct 9th is in a few days. Im sure you must be super excited. Let me know how you are when you feel well enough to write. Good Luck!!!!

Yes, I am excited, and went through a week of super-long lists of things I have to do to get ready. the last thing on the list is to clean my house, but that may or may not happen :)

Back