• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

need help with my daughter's struggles with self esteem/loose skin

suebeehoney

My daughter is a beautiful 26 yo who is 5 years post surgery and has reached her goal weight of 126 #. I worry that she is either bulemic or anorexic and she is obsessed with her body image, especially her loose skin. She's lost about 180#.
Any help please!

Sounds like it is time for some more therapy mom. Reconnect with whomever she saw pre-surgery and ask for some recommendations. Only she can change how she feels about herself.

Hi Suebeehoney, Ladybicknase is right, the WLS is only half our battle, I still look in the mirror and see a fat me sometimes and I know I am at a much healthier weght and I am almost at my goal weight. I still revert to cloths that are to loarge for me when I go shoping for a new shirt or jacket so I always try something on before I buy it and I always end up buying somthome thing smaller than what I though I would need. If she is not going to support groups please encourage her to start going again, almost all the insurance plans require it before having the surgery and encourage it post surgery, I still go and find it very informative and helpful for myself and I enjoy being able to help others considering WLS. Your daughter is so lucky to have a concerned mother, if she is not going to a support group meeting ask if she can take you to one and if she doesn't want to go look for one in your area to talk to other support people.

We all respond to food differently after WLS and some folks are very sensative to foods for many years and have to live by a strict meal plan or they get dumping syndrome:( (upset stmoch and vomiting), I am two years out and I cant tolerate certain food or I get dumping. Other folks are very tolerant of most of the foods that helped get them over weight in the first place and they have to be even more careful with their meal plans or the weight can slowly sneak up on them, my downfall is surgar free ice cream:rolleyes: (still loaded with calories). Loose skin is something we all have to face my loose skin is all around my belly but at 45 it is better than high BP and choleterol and much easier to live with, but for a 26 yo yung lady it can be very discuraging after losing over half of her body weight and now have a bunch of loose skin. If her doctor deems it medically nessasary most insurance companies will pay for surgery to take of the excess skin. I hope I was of some help. :cool: Tom

Back