• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need help.

disneysuzy

I am 5 weeks out and I'm vomiting all the time. I know I'm not doing something right. I eat 1 to 2 ounces at a time but most of the time it comes up. My surgeon is no help he keeps telling me to figure it out. If anyone could give me suggestions that would be great. Thank you

Anything I but in my mouth. Vegetables, Popsicles, soups water. As least once or twice a day I really don't think I'm getting enough food.

I have a really hard time with vegetables. I can only eat them boiled. Also if I eat to fast or too much. Or too much carbs. I get a bad pain in my chest that lasts several hours. And I have thrown up because of it. So in the last week, I have been focusing on taking my time. Chewing very well. Little to no carbs. And only eating boiled veggies. So far I haven't gotten sick or the pain. Maybe your pouch isn't ready for real foods yet. Try eating pureed for a little longer. I would make a chicken soup. With veggies. Carrots onions etc. and the. Purée it. It was good. And it settled well.

Vomiting and acid indigestion are very common with the gastric sleeve. I had vomiting up into the forth month after surgery, acid indigestion is an every day thing. Hard proteins were the worst, stick to soft protein wedge cheese and cottage are a good ones, for me cheese in general works well. I stay away from chicken and beef unless it is ground and cooked in chilli or a sauce. soft is the way to go. Along with eating only one or two mouthfuls at a time, taking your time and chewing will also help. Grease is out of the question; I tried a falafel, one time and repaved highway 101 with green slime for ten miles. The good news is that the nausea it will subside in time, weeks or months and no matter what you may think you won't starve. One last word, don't drink anything before during or after eating. Been there, done that, got puke on my T-shirt.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing.

It does get better, you may have to do smaller amounts. I would also get a second opinion, you might need a different medication. Walking seemed to get my intestinal track moving. It might help.

Your perception of how much food you need really is the issue here, it took awhile for my eyes and my brain to catchup with my stomach. It got much easier after that.

constant vomiting after surgery is not normal. Does your doctor have a dietician on staff that you could consult with?

Thank you so much for the suggestions. So are so right with everything you are saying. I'm hearing more and more hoe common it is to vomit. It's only been 5 1/2 weeks so I might be with a lot of people and vomit for months. It sounds so dumb but when it happens to you, you think it's only you that this happens too. I know I have to stay away from meats and chicken they come up fast. I also heard about acid indigestion so last night I took OTC and I didn't get sick this morning I know I have to be patient. I love cheese and cottage cheese so I might just stay on those for awhile. Thanks again for your help I will keep you updated

You may have to just stay on liquids for now. Broth, popsicle, jello. Your stomach has to get use to the new change. It's been 8 years for me and sometimes my food still comes up. Your stomach will reject food that it does agree with. When I did find food that agreed with my stomach I ate it for months and when I got sick of eating the same thing I then tried something else. You just have to find what agrees with your stomach. That's why your doctor is telling you to figure it out. He is not being mean or unhelpful but he can't tell you what foods will agree with your stomach. It's all a part of your new stomach and your new life as a bariatric patient. You will get through it and you will lose alot of weight through this stage. Just make sure you get as much protein in that you can stand and stay on your vitamins. It gets better. Good luck.

Yes I love Yogurt. I try to eat one a day.
Is it Greek yogurt that you eat? This has twice the protein then others. Go slowly and take your time. When I was vomiting, I found that Ensure Plus was very helpful. Did you get instructions or can you see a nutritionist? Please take care.

Back