• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need support and food ideas

Started my journey in May 2014, down 90 pounds but struggling with craving sweets and still getting hungry. Need ideas for what to eat to keep me satisfied. Also, how often should I be eating, how many protein grams per meal and what is max in sugar I should have?

Started my journey in May 2014, down 90 pounds but struggling with craving sweets and still getting hungry. Need ideas for what to eat to keep me satisfied. Also, how often should I be eating, how many protein grams per meal and what is max in sugar I should have?

Wow!

These questions should have been answered a long time ago by your surgeon and his team. Did you set up a post op visit with the nutritionist. Based on your questions it is definitely in your best interest to do so.

Do you have a local support group?

Also, whenever you have a question you are certainly welcome to ask it here. However, more importantly pick up the phone and call your surgeon's office. There should be plenty of support coming from his office.

If not, time to find another support group in your area including the possibility of switching to another surgeon for support from his/her team.

Now, the hunger. This is something your psychologist should be working with you on as well. Did you set up a post op visit with your psych?

The key to being satisfied is PROTEIN. Make sure you are getting your required 60 grams of protein consumed each and everyday. Each meal should have at its center piece a protein portion and you should always consume the protein first. I am wondering if you are doing this.

How often should you be eating. Well, for many people the 3 or 4 meals a day works well. Some need to break it up even more. I have always had 6 small meals a day. Again, the protein first. If anything is left on the plate it should NOT be the protein.

Start keeping track of what you eat if you haven't done so already. I use caloriecount.com. This is a fantastic site that give you all kinds of information, an excellent food and nutrition database and yet another supporting community in your weight loss endeavors.

Sugar should be minimized. But I do enjoy sugar with certain items myself as long as it is NOT a trigger.

My two real sugar treats and potential threats is cookies and ice cream. However, if you plan your meals for the day you can manage this properly by making them treat snacks along the way. Many people simply avoid them entirely, especially if they are triggers.

Hope I helped a little.

Ralph

Back