• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and Devastated

iloveserotonin

Hi everyone... I'm new here. I haven't had any weight loss surgeries done. I met with the psychologist on Friday... and she told me I am not qualified to get any type of surgery done. Mainly because I stayed 2 days at the psychiatric unit back in March, and also because I have a lot going on. I personally think this is a load of B.S. I was totally shocked, and cried and cried. I am nearly 300lbs, 5'1" and only 21 years old. I am at the point where I am scared for my life, and they turn me away. I am absolutely devastated and disappointed. Has this happened to anyone before? People I talked to reassured me that there was nothing that could deny you of the surgeries. If someone could help me find some guidelines about the surgeries I would appreciate it.

I just don't know what to do now... I see my psychiatrist on Tuesday (9th). I am going to talk to him and ask his opinion. Also, I am on meds that do cause weight gain (or so people say, but sometimes I think it's just my own problem). I also want to talk to my psych about Provigil for energy, and I know that causes weight loss... I am so desperate for any help. Please help! :(

I paused for a long time before witting because honestly I am at a loss for words and what to say, but I know we are all here for help and support so any words sometimes are better than none. Have you though about asking your regular psychiatrist if they would be able to do what is needed to pass you for the surgery ? That may be a thought especially sine they already know you and all you have been through and are going through, just a thought. Don't give up though, stay strong and keep plugging away... If you want something bad enough it will happen.
.........Kristin :)

There are many reasons bariatric programs require a psych evaluation. I think the most concerning is that you had a recent psych-related hospital stay (I am assuming that March was this past month, and not last year?). As you have said, you also have a lot going on. Bariatric surgery comes with a lot of psychological issues of it's own, and one of those is learning to cope emotionally without food, which many of us (including myself) face daily. There are also sometimes huge emotional changes that occur from hormonal changes that stem from the surgery itself. A saying I often hear is, "We operate on your belly, not your head." I have a very dear friend who is emotionally very troubled. She is a healthcare professional, and knew how to get past the psych exam. She has lost 156 lbs, has had two psych hospitalizations, and faces suicidal ideation on a daily basis. Her surgery was 15 months ago. I'm not saying this is you, but it is a great example of why psychological evaluation is necessary in the bariatric surgery approval process.
I don't know of any guidelines that would help you get surgery if the program requires a psych evaluation, someone else here might though. Please continue to work with your psychiatrist, do a few months with him, and maybe you will get cleared for surgery sooner. Many have had to postpone their surgery for several months to meet some healthcare need.
I wish you the best. Let us know how the process is going. Please take care of yourself.

I know you are disappointed. I can hear your suffering. I think at this point you can keep working with your psychiatrist and if you remain stable with your symptoms you can have another evaluation. Don't give up. Many here have had bumps in the road to getting surgery, don't give up hope it is what keeps us all going.

missirene, I agree with your advice. As someone who suffers from depression and bipolar, I could see how there could have been an issue had I ever have been hospitalized for my issues. xo

Hi iloveserotonin, welcome to the board. Wow, I am saddend to hear that you've hit a stumbling block, but just because the eval did not go well this time, is no reason why it can't be changed in a month or more. I think talking with your psychologist is a great idea. Not knowing what else is going on in your life and why you were in the hospital, I can only say, keep working on your situations and don't quit. This is a blog from a young lady I know that might provide some inspiration to you, Bariatric Beginnings. She is one tough lady, who never gave up on her dream. She's also on FB, a great person to talk with, who really has been where you are currently at. Please keep in touch with us. We do care and I'll be sending positive vibes your way.

Frank

:cool:

Last edited:
Frank I want to say "THANK YOU" for telling everyone about Bariatric Beginnings, I had never heard about this site til today and I went there, wow this lady has some awesome stories to share and she is so encouraging and I love her boldness and her ability to share for she is gonna help millions of people. Thank you again for taking time to share such good information to help others. you can never get too much encouragement along the journey of getting healthier, there's more to it than just food. have a great day, Donna (bigtallsis)

Hey iloveserotonin, I am Jessica, Bariatric Beginnings is my blog. Please contact me and maybe I can talk to you. My story is long and complex but I can offer a lot of support and maybe share somethings with you.

I only saw this thread but my blog's stats show me where views come from and it took me here but I wanted to open my arms to you, iloveserotonin. Please email me at bariatricbeginnings@gmail.com.

And thank you to fkrebs for the kind words :) And you too Bigtallsis :)

Back