• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new here

Hi Janice. Surgery date will be here before you know it! Which surgery will you have? I had RNY gastric bypass in August 2012. The more you learn and prepare yourself before surgery, the better off you will be! Good luck!

Please don't let anything deter you. Although I wish I knew these things, I would still have the surgery anyway. I am sure you know that there are always negatives.

I had no idea:

* That somehow your taste buds change, and foods do NOT taste the same.
* Odors can immediately make you nauseous - food, other people etc. I thought everyone had bad breath, but it was because of my heightened sense of smell.
* Food textures made me sick (eggs).
* Difficulty of drinking the required water, but you finally get used to that.
* Getting enough protein without having to have so many shakes - yuck!
* Importance of learning to eat slow and chew it well.
* I had no idea how much a person could throw up.
* I should have been more knowledgable on how to treat constipation. Some have diarrhea instead. Neither are good!

Everyone has their own set of problems, you will not have all of my problems, and you may have some of your own. If you run into something, please ask it. We are all willing to help! I will send a friend request and lets keep in touch!

Janice-Welcome to the forum. The closer you get to your surgery date you may find yourself on an emotional rollercoaster ride. This is perfectly normal and a lot of us in this forum have been there. You may feel anxious, apprehensive, nervous, hyper, have sleeplessness, and so on. It will pass and after surgery you will settle down and your focus will shift to maintaining your meal plans and getting healthy. One thing you can count on happening after surgery is gas, and LOTS of it; eventually it will end. Some people find that Gas-Ex helps and you will probably be given this in the hospital. You might want to pick some up before surgery so you have it when you get home. You can use a generic brand and can get liquid drops which may be easier to take immediately after surgery. Some people prefer the disolving strips. If you stick to your meal plan and the recommended amount of food per meal you really shouldn't have any issues with nausea or vomiting. Just make sure to focus on staying hydrated for the first 2 or 3 weeks and you'll be fine.

i had my surgery in i'm looking for a support group because i am having some problems and i don't know where to turn ii'm hoping someone out there can help

MrsTurner, I am sorry you are having problems. I am sure all of us have had some problems, and we would be happy to share information with you. I had gastric bypass surgery 8 months ago. Been through a lot. Let me know if I can help!

Hi and welcome to both of you.

Janice, a couple of things, first off when you get home from the hospital you will weigh more than when you went in. That is from all the fluids they give you, it's perfectly normal. Second, don't stock up on stuff like protein shakes etc, because your tastes may change. I loved the protein shakes prior to surgery, but now they make me sick whenever I just smell them.

Mrs Turner, we are more than happy to help. Just let us know what questions or problems you have. Also check with your surgeons office, they should have some idea where support groups are.

Good luck to both of you, keep us updated.

Frank

:cool:

Back