• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New pain post-op, help?

dragonfly11

So today, day 8, I had my first morning with almost no pain. I was very happy. This afternoon, my stomach started to hurt in a new way. (Boys, cover your eyes) I attributed this to the fact that I began my menstrual cycle today. However, by this afternoon my stomach started to make loud gurgling noises and there has been constant pain in my center stomach and down my right side (I swear I can feel where my new pouch is!). I would say it is a 5/10, but worries me because it is new, loud (the sounds) and constant. Any thoughts?

you need to call your doctor and speak with the doc. It may be that they will bring you in for an ultrasound or abdomenal CT scan, neither are painful.
I got readmitted, i was done the 3rd, got out on 6th and went back in on the 9th and again discharged yesterday. Things happen so you want to be on top of it immediately.
I will look to see what your other posts were about your operation and hospital course. You will be ok but do be proactive and call you doctor TONIGHT.

They also say your period will be alot worse after your surgery I'm a month out and had mine and I felt like I was ran over by a car several times and I never have it like this or last a full 7 days they say it can be heaver and you can get really bad cramps and they told me I should talk to my obgyn

Wow, as sick as I was last night, I kept thinking maybe I should have some sugar-free pudding. I ate half and felt 80% better. I think I was hungry! It's weird, I don't "feel" hungry, but had an especially busy day with my kids and hadn't gotten around to a "dinner." I didn't realize it would make that much of a difference. Added to that, I had the issues Melinda alluded to above. I think all is well and that I was lucky! Recovery in general has shocked me. I knew there would be pain, but wasn't prepared for all of this - I guess it's kind of like childbirth - you don't know until you know...

Dragonfly-Please put time aside for yourself so that you can follow your meal plan. You still need proper nutrition after WLS and as you now know you will feel better when you follow the "rules". I am so happy that your constant pain is gone. Although it's normal to have slight discomfort, especialy in the beginning, you shouldn't be feeling intense pain. If it happens again please follow up with your surgeon.

Please keep us posted.

dragonfly Does your center say you can have pudding, sugarless etc. I was supposed to be on only water type things and Protein Drinks until Next Week but I got really hungry and the protein drinks now scare me due to the profound nausea I had so ate a vanilla Yoplait 2X protein yogurt slowly and it was GREAT. Today i ate a yogurt for breakfast and dinner and had a teaspoon of small curd cottage cheese. IT feels fine so far but was interested in what your instructions were from your center about foods and such. I am so sick of drinking water etc. Does anyone see a problem in cottage cheese as long as I smash it up to smooth consisitency?

Sandie-Looks like you just started week 2 post surgery. According to my nutritional guidelines this is the start of pureed foods and cottage cheese is on the list of acceptable foods :) :) :) Were you given a meal plan outlining the 4 food phases for post surgery? if so you might want to loom at it so you can see what you can have. There are a LOT of good food choices in the pureed phase.

HI Pat99 I am on day 10, my book says pureed foods on day 16 IF all is going well. The reason I was asking is because dragonfly had her surgery the same day as I and she is doing the pureed foods by the looks of it so wanted to know what her Center was instructing her. I did a teaspoon of cottage cheese and a couple of yogurts today. I am drinking the protein drinks because they made me sick and nutritionist said to just do the liquids and not worry about Protein right now but I got hungry so tried to get some protein in by eating the yogurt and cottage cheese. UNFORTUNATELY we bought regular cottage cheese and not low fat so will need to get low fat a teaspoon of that did not cause a problem SO FAR. what occurs if you have too much fat, pain?
My Center gave me a book on the diets and substitutions but I sort of pushed it a little.

Hi Dragonfly. I am glad everything is ok. It takes time to get used to this new lifestyle and relearning ho wtho eat. I know how difficult it can be to eat when your not hungry, it happened to me too. For the first year I had to remind myself to eat before I got light headed and weak, I had a few episodes where my blood surgars bottoed out because of lack of protien, after that I started keeping a good eye on when to eat compared to how much energy I was expending. Set up a meal schedule and do your best to keep to it and you should feel better. :cool: Tom

Back