• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Products, Opinions Please!

Kevin

Staff member
Hey Everyone, we're working on getting some new products in the American Bariatrics Store, and have a few new products in mind. I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with any of these products, and what your opinion on them may be. Any input would be great. (We're still working on getting the Dreamfields Pastas in our store and are hoping we'll have it in soon)

Possible new products:

Da Vinci Sugar-Free Syrups

Tova Carbquik baking mix

Mama Lupe's Low-Carb Tortillas

I have been using DaVinci and Torini sugar free syrups for about 3 months, both are wonderful. So far I have used Torini Irish Creme and DaVinci Pineapple, English Toffee, Coconut, Toasted Marshmallow, and Red Raspberry.

I have used Tova CarbQuik baking mix for pancakes and they turned out good. Just to clarify things, it does not taste the same as flour and the finished product is a bit drier than a pancake made with flour but it is totally acceptable in my humble opinion. CarbQuik contains Carbalose "flour" which can also be purchased by itself. I actually received my Carbalose today and have a loaf of bread in my bread maker right now which will be ready at 10:15 PM. My fingers are crossed because my yeast is expired and I was too lazy to proof it before I made the bread *LOL* I plan on making either brownies or chocolate cake with the CarbQuik or the Carbalose in the next week or 2 (as soon as I get to the store for some eggs). A lot of people add protein powder to their recipes to increase the protein but I was afraid it would mess up the way the bread would rise. If it comes out OK this time I may experiment next time so that if something goes wrong I'll know what the culprit is :) :) :) Bread making can be a bit tricky so I usually stick to the basics. I'll give feedback on the bread later.

I also received my first order of Mama Lupe's tortillas today but haven't tried them yet. I put them in my freezer for later use. I will give feedback as soon as I try them.

What ever happened regarding Dreamfield's pasta? A while ago you told me you were waiting to hear back from one of their reps. There is complete nutritional information on their website so maybe the information you are looking for is there. Although I use Dreamfields I use it very sparingly because my focus is on protein, not pasta. I have no issues at all when I eat Dreamfields.

Last edited:
OK, the bread I made with Carbalose came out really, really good. I just had a tiny piece and it probably would have tasted even better if I was actually hungry when I ate it. It rose nicely and had a fine crumb and a slightly dense texture like a rye bread. It will probably make excellent toast but I made it to go with the soup I made yesterday. The recipe I used had an egg in it but the next time I decide to make it I will use a recipe I have for Italian bread which is my favorite bread machine recipe and does not have egg in it. The reason I am mentioning the egg is because it helps the bread rise higher than normal.

OK, here's the scoop on Mama Lupe's Low-Carb Tortillas. I just finished a breakfast burrito I made with an egg, a slice of American cheese and my home canned green tomato salsa. It was DELICIOUS. The tortilla taste and texture was very close to a regular flour tortilla. I like to warm the tortilla for about 15 seconds in the pan I cooked the egg in. The tortilla came out soft and flexible where as a regular flour tortilla starts to become dry and not as pliable.

I ordered these almost 3 weeks ago through a different Bariatric store and stored them in the freezer. Took them out 2 days ago to thaw in the fridge and will keep them refridgerated until they are gone. Freezing did not seem to affect the quality one bit. You can order multiple packages to freeze to save on future shipping charges :) :) :)

At only 60 calories, 3 NET carbs and great taste you really can't go wrong with Mama Lupe's Low-Carb Tortillas. AB-James, if you start to carry these in the American Bariatric store I will definately order them from here.

Here's another Mama Lupe's Low-Carb Tortilla update. I was thinking that I should try one plain so that I could do a comparison to a regular flour tortilla. Well, it tasted OK but has that whole grain taste and texture similar to a whole wheat tortilla. It definately has a "fiber feel" while chewing. It's still OK but I think the taste is better when used to wrap something.

Back