• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to site and Surgery Date is September 8, 2014

patay37

Hey Guys,

I have my surgery date set for September 8th and I am getting nervous. As I said in other forums I wax and wane between being excited and terrified. Right now I can't even begin to figure out what I feel at this moment in time. I am just glad I found you guys. I have resited weight loss suregery for the longest time but once I made the decision to move forward I went ahead full force. I am looking froward to getting to know you guys and getting your support and giving you all support as well.
Pat

Awesome... I had mine this past November and I can tell you it was and has been the best decision I have ever made other than having my child..

The day of surgery while driving to the hospital I was so nervous that I told my husband to turn the car around and take me home.. He chuckled, reassured me and made me very comfortable and on we went..

It is very normal and very common to vacillate between the fear of the unknown and the excitement because of a new potential and a much better life...

Change is the hardest.

At this point your date will be here before you know it....

Start reading some of the posts about what to take with you to the hospital, what to plan for when you get home, making sure your support team is keep up to date with everything and know you will do great....

Start practicing sipping small amounts of water since gulping and straws are a no-no..

Get off of caffeine, processed sugars, off of processed foods, quit the sodas and carbonated beverages now so those are some demons will be easier to deal with after surgery.

This will make things easier for you.

StinkerBelle,
Thank you so much for the advice. I have already started practicing sipping my drinks because I have never been one to drink a lot during the day. I am trying to get used to always having a cup with water in it with me at all times. But, you bring up an interesting point. I never even thought about what to rake with me to the hospital and what to have at home when I return.

Will I be able to have decaf coffee after surgery? If not then I need to give up coffee and tea now.

Thanks for the friendly advice. I am still nervous. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story.
Pat

StinkerBelle,
Thank you so much for the advice. I have already started practicing sipping my drinks because I have never been one to drink a lot during the day. I am trying to get used to always having a cup with water in it with me at all times. But, you bring up an interesting point. I never even thought about what to rake with me to the hospital and what to have at home when I return.

Will I be able to have decaf coffee after surgery? If not then I need to give up coffee and tea now.

Thanks for the friendly advice. I am still nervous. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story.
Pat

I am not sure about decaf, coffee ask your surgeon.... As for tea I am a tea lover and switched everything over to decaf and have had no issues with the switch.

I found in the very beginning that if I started my day and each meal with a cup of hot tea my pouch handled getting my protein in with little discomfort, not to mention getting the fluids in.

You may consider buying a 32 ounce water bottle with the bite sipper style, the flip up style sipper.... I have 3 that I love alot.
I made a bariatric bag that I carry with me if I am away from my home for more than a 4 hour run. I keep several doses of my vitamins and supplements, several packets of crystal light, some tea bags, 2 premixed protein shakes, some WLS safe snacks, a large bottle of smart water, 1 small bottle of power ade zero and a first aid kit.. This way if I break down, get stuck some where or need protein or a drink I have it with me...

congrats on the surgery!! best decision i made!! so much happier and healthier now!! and yes... you can drink decaf coffee after surgery!!

I am not sure about decaf, coffee ask your surgeon.... As for tea I am a tea lover and switched everything over to decaf and have had no issues with the switch.

I found in the very beginning that if I started my day and each meal with a cup of hot tea my pouch handled getting my protein in with little discomfort, not to mention getting the fluids in.

You may consider buying a 32 ounce water bottle with the bite sipper style, the flip up style sipper.... I have 3 that I love alot.
I made a bariatric bag that I carry with me if I am away from my home for more than a 4 hour run. I keep several doses of my vitamins and supplements, several packets of crystal light, some tea bags, 2 premixed protein shakes, some WLS safe snacks, a large bottle of smart water, 1 small bottle of power ade zero and a first aid kit.. This way if I break down, get stuck some where or need protein or a drink I have it with me...

StinkerBelle,

Thanks for the input. I am not a tea lover unless it is black orange pekoe (regular tea). I do not prefer the decaf teas and I really don't like decaf coffee either but this journey is all about doing and learning a new way of doing things that will help me get healthy. I have decided that I am going to start drinking a cup of hot lemon water in the morning when I get up from now until my surgery. I read somewhere that it helps detox the body and flush out fat. I am also going to try your idea of drinking a cup of tea before each meal.

Did you get your sipper bottle from anywhere (i.e. Walmart, Target, etc.)? I think I may have one that will work. It is just a plain clear bottle with a red flip top that you sip from. The only thing is it sweats which drives me batty.

I love love love your idea of having a bariatric bag ready for extended periods of time away from home. I imagine this is going to come in handy for after work when I am not going straight home. I will pack my lunch on a daily basis just as I do now. So, that will not be a major issue for me.

Thank you so much for your advice, encouragement and support. As my surgery date gets closer I am both nervous and starting to feel excited at my new journey. I may not always respond to posts but I am reading a lot of them here.

Pat

congrats on the surgery!! best decision i made!! so much happier and healthier now!! and yes... you can drink decaf coffee after surgery!!

Kay Boogie,
Thanks for your reply. I do not like decaf tea but I am able to drink decaf coffee. I am so glad that you consider this "the best decision you have ever made". I am a long time coming around to this decision but I am looking forward to it.

Pat

Before my surgery I would wake up in a sweat during the night and say, why am I doing this to myself? I'm gonna cancel in the morning. But each time I asked myself if I would really cancel after all the prep and planning, the answer was no.
The bariatric bag is essential after surgery if you are away from home. If I get away from my routine eating habits, I go to a bad place mentally. So anything you can do to stick to your routine helps.
I had to quit caffeine for a month after surgery (the surgeon said it was dehydrating, and was the exact opposite of what I was trying to do with maintaining hydration). But after a month caffeine was OK.

Hi Patay37--- I'll get my RNY surgery date in two days at my next appt. My Dr office says it should be Sept 8 maybe Sept 10. So excited but waver back and forth also. I keep thinking about the foods I'll miss. But then--as Cheyenne has said, food should be just fuel for the body. Eat to live --not -live to eat will be my new motto.

Keep in touch and good luck. Maybe we'll surgery on the same day.

Good Luck Maya

Hi Maya,

Good luck. Please let me know your date. It would be great to know that there is someone else going through the surgery on the same day. I look forward to connecting with you afterwards to share our journeys and our stories.

Pat

Hi Patay37--- I'll get my RNY surgery date in two days at my next appt. My Dr office says it should be Sept 8 maybe Sept 10. So excited but waver back and forth also. I keep thinking about the foods I'll miss. But then--as Cheyenne has said, food should be just fuel for the body. Eat to live --not -live to eat will be my new motto.

Keep in touch and good luck. Maybe we'll surgery on the same day.

Patay,

You are on count down and I am sure your having all of the emotions..,

I will tell you that my having the R-N-Y is and was the best decision, next to my kids, that I have ever had...

It is normal to have the fear, questioning your decision, and all of the other wild ride emotions..

The day of surgery I looked at my hubby and asked him to turn the car around and take me home.. He looked at me and reassured me that it would all go well and it did.
Now exactly 9 months later I am down 165 pounds, I have gone from a size 32 to a size 12, I have lost 2 shoe sizes, I am off all of my medications with the exception of my inhalers for my respiratory issues, I am off my CPAP, Off the BP meds. Now I can run 5 miles a day, heat no longer bothers me, I can bend at the waist without passing out, I have more energy than I know what to do with and I feel great about me...

It is all worth it..

I will be sending my thoughts, prayers, healing energies, warrior power and all things good to you, your family, and your medical team..

You will do fine! I was worried also but now I am so happy I made the choice, good luck and stay strong.

Patay,

You are on count down and I am sure your having all of the emotions..,

I will tell you that my having the R-N-Y is and was the best decision, next to my kids, that I have ever had...

It is normal to have the fear, questioning your decision, and all of the other wild ride emotions..

The day of surgery I looked at my hubby and asked him to turn the car around and take me home.. He looked at me and reassured me that it would all go well and it did.
Now exactly 9 months later I am down 165 pounds, I have gone from a size 32 to a size 12, I have lost 2 shoe sizes, I am off all of my medications with the exception of my inhalers for my respiratory issues, I am off my CPAP, Off the BP meds. Now I can run 5 miles a day, heat no longer bothers me, I can bend at the waist without passing out, I have more energy than I know what to do with and I feel great about me...

It is all worth it..

I will be sending my thoughts, prayers, healing energies, warrior power and all things good to you, your family, and your medical team..

StinkerBelle,

You are right on time. While I haven't been waking up in sweats, I am well aware that my surgery date is staring me in the face. I'm ready but I am scared too. All the things you mentioned are things I am looking forward to. Fear of change and the unknown, the untried and untested (at least for me) is a big issue for me. Change is hard, but I made this decision for very specific reasons (again, all of those reasons that you mentioned above) and that is what I have to stick to and keep formost in my mind. I have so many emotions going through my head now sometimes I feel like I don't know which way is up.

I go see my surgeon Tuesday followed by pre-op. Please keep me and my family in your prayers. This is a big change for them as well.
Pat

Back