• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

On vacation, help what can I eat!!!

donnayork

Ok, I'm 3 months out have lost 67 lbs an on my first day of vacation with the family. We are at our first night stop over point an ordering room service. I started to cry when I looked at the menu, I don't know what I can get to eat. It's to much, so afraid of getting sick an spoiling things for everyone else. Anyone with any ideals. We won't be eating out the entire time once we get to our condo we will be cooking in. Just need some ideals for when we do eat out.
Thanks Donna

Hi Donna York,

I can tell you what I do. I ask for children's portions. I eat lots of broiled fish (salmon and tilapia are my fovorites) and ask for veggies well done with it. Sometimes I share with another person at my table (good friends have been very nice). Sometimes I go to KFC and get their roasted chicken and do break the rules with some mashed potatoes with no gravy. Places like Bob Evans have tuna salads and chicken salads that I tolerate quite well. Another choice I really like is Wendy's chili (small). I rarely get room service and will usually stop before I get a hotel room and bring my dinner in with me. Sometimes I can't finish it so will have the leftovers a little later especially if the hotel has a microwave in the room. Another thing I do is stop at the grocery store and get some yogurt and some will even steam fish for me. The yogurt is good for breakfast. Some hotels even have it for breakfast and if they have one of those little breakfast buffets I can usually tolerate some scrambled eggs and yogurt and sometimes even some oatmeal. Hope this helps, enjoy your vacation. It isn't that hard to find something you can tolerate even if it is different from what your family eats. Joy

I would keep my protein drinks (liquid) and protein bars with me at all times. If you have a fridge, personally, I like smoked salmon from Costco the Norwegian stuff is great for my taste mild and buttery good on a cracker with nonfat cream cheese. Forget restaurants unless you ask for a separate plate and share with your hubby or kids (sharing is the principle word here). And congratulations on your weight loss, you almost have me beat pound wise and that is so great. Adapt and overcome!

cheers

Its probably not the way that you envisioned your vacation meals, however you will have more money to spend on fun things and souvenirs. Maybe you can pack your foods or at least some of them? I guess that depends on what your Dr has you do. I have to drink 4 Boosts a day and eat 3-4 oz of a lean meat and 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies for dinner for 2 weeks prior.

I just get shakes for 2 weeks prior.... plus a little vegees, low sodium broth, sugar free stuff. Frankly the shakes will be easier to control outside of the house. I am getting a bit scared about the surgery and what I will never be able to eat again. How do you feel about the changes?

Boy, you lost a lot of weight VERY quickly!... gives one hope. Yeah, maybe it is a good way to start. I will be with 40 members of my family... family reunion. Winds up being all about food so that will be a challenge.

Donna,

Try picking up some protein bars. I use Pure Protein bars, you can find them at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, they are very tasty and have plenty of protein. So when they are ordering room service you are covered. Also, when eating out, I'll order chicken or hamburger sandwiches without the bun. I don't know what you can tolerate, but I hope this helps.

Frank

:cool:

Back