• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Opinion?

dragonfly11

Tomorrow will be one week since I have had my WLS. I am scheduled to be out of work for three weeks, but keep questioning if I should return after two. Does anyone have advice either way? Thanks :)

Dragonfly,

Only you can determine whether you can return to work and it probably depends on the type of work and how you are feeling and whether you still need pain medication or can drive. I sort of feel that if you can get three weeks to recuperate you should take it but if it interferes with income maybe you can't do it. If your job is physically demanding you might need that extra week. What did your physician/surgeon say you needed to do? If he/she says OK and you are feeling OK let that be your guide.

Tomorrow will be one week since I have had my WLS. I am scheduled to be out of work for three weeks, but keep questioning if I should return after two. Does anyone have advice either way? Thanks :)

If you feel there's any chance you might need the additional week, take it if you possibly can.

Once you go back to work, it wouldn't go over too well to need to take another day or two after you're returned.

Better to take a bit more than you feel you need than not to take enough.

Be kind and gentle and nuturing with yourself!

if you can afford it, take all three. with the holidays around the corner, get all the rest you can. getting overly tired sets you back to your recovery. I found in the first month, and even now at 7 weeks out, that if i do too much i dont feel like eating or drinking and that sets my progress back a couple of days. It takes longer than you may think for your body to really and truly heal :)

Dragonfly-Each of us heal at different rates but I honestly feel that returning to work after 2 weeks is too soon. I would take that third week off and spend it relaxing, napping and getting in some extra sleep. Rest and proper nutrition are key to a proper recovery so please don't push yourself.

Dragonfly, I know how you feel I was out for a little more than a month due to the arduous nature of my proffesion, I would suggest you follow your doctors origonal advice and spend the 3rd week walking or going to the gym if you are member, and getting plenty of naps in. For me I think it was worth it. :cool: Tom

Thanks, all. This put my decision in the right perspective for me. I will take the third week; the quality of life, my recovery is more important than rushing back 5 days earlier than planned. :)

Back