• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Overdoing it

GardenB

Hi there! I’m prep op and suffer with chronic pain. I recently started going to the pool and am LOVING being able to move pain free. So much so, that I’m struggling to rest on days when by body tells me to (i.e. painful muscle from too much time bent over in the garden). This has been an issue for me at other times in my life. Knowing my past and seeing this happening again, I know I need to keep it in check as I have in the past. So far, so good. Does anyone else have this as an issue? I’m surprised, but I guess shouldn’t be, how strong the desire is to get that exercise hit. I never knew about transfer addiction until listening to the podcast Our Sleeved Life. If that’s what it’s been before I managed to keep it healthy but the degree to which I think about wanting to go to the pool still surprises me. I’ll definitely bring it up with my counselor.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness YES! I have fibromyalgia, so when I feel bad I feel really bad, but when I feel good I’m hard to stop. Unfortunately I have horrible arthritis in my knees which tell me differently. My husband will even say something along the lines of, “You’re going to be dying tomorrow, you know that right?” I’m always like, “Yes! But I feel good now so shut it!” LOL We’ve got such a loving relationship hahaha

My hubby is “you need to take more breaks.” I do take frequent breaks. I aggravate the rhomboid muscle in my right shoulder that has been torn multiple times, therefore chronic pain. My cervical vertebrae are always tight the chiropractor says they are tighter than an out of tune piano. When I sit too long after being busy it is terrible trying to stand up. Especially with replacement knee and hip on left leg. Pain is life therefore I tell myself to ignore it until I can’t. Oh yeah today took pool filter apart again after pool store said the pool had massive phosphates. Treated pool with the required chemicals yesterday evening waiting for stuff to settle so I can eliminate the yuck from the pool with the waste vacuum through the filter. At least water is no longer green, very pretty blue. Saved a bottle of water for pool place from filter. Lol. Boy is that gonna be fun. Filter materials is in the washer again. Ready to go back in filter tomorrow. I am so ready. Tomorrow is also stain/paint the boards for the glider for extra seating in the pool yard. The party husband wants is scheduled for the 30 and it will be here before I am ready.

Back