• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

popcorn

mergatroid

Ok folks I need your input and help. I am now addicted to popcorn. I can eat LOTS of it. I cook it in coconut oil in a pan on the stove so it's not the store bought crap with tons of preservative laiden stuff in it. I just wanna know if it's ok for us gastric bypassers to be able to eat so much of it. I'm sure I already know the answer, and I am depressed thinking about having to give it up, but I will if I have to. It's just that I like to eat a LOT of something and popcorn doesn't bother my tummy at all, no matter how much I eat of it. Of course my new found popcorn friend comes with it's downfalls...I am not getting the protein I should be getting. Nasty, jealous friend this popcorn is.

The only good thing you can say about popcorn is that it is whole grain. Coconut oil is a saturated fat. Carbohydrates and saturated fat not the best recipe for weight loss. Oh, self delusion what a cruel mistress you are. Protein is harder to digest while white carbs process so easily, fat is fat but monounsaturated are so much better at not clogging your arteries. Time to stop deluding yourself and get back to your program basics.

The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are very close to your goal and you don't want to mess that up. I don't know if popcorn is good or bad, but I know that it is very hard to digest. It's the first thing I had to give up when my diverticulosis started giving me problems.
How about treating yourself to a small amount--maybe a cup? after you have met your dietary goals for the day?

Ok folks I need your input and help. I am now addicted to popcorn. I can eat LOTS of it. I cook it in coconut oil in a pan on the stove so it's not the store bought crap with tons of preservative laiden stuff in it. I just wanna know if it's ok for us gastric bypassers to be able to eat so much of it. I'm sure I already know the answer, and I am depressed thinking about having to give it up, but I will if I have to. It's just that I like to eat a LOT of something and popcorn doesn't bother my tummy at all, no matter how much I eat of it. Of course my new found popcorn friend comes with it's downfalls...I am not getting the protein I should be getting. Nasty, jealous friend this popcorn is.
Dear Mergatroid,

You know at least part of the answer to this.

Protein and fluids first. Other foods after that.

Additionally, however, I'm not sure hard, sharp popcorn hulls are appropriate for a stoma, although a brief Internet search didn't show anything about it.

Here is one article on popcorn and bariatric patients by the creator of the 5-day Pouch Test.

http://5daypouchtest.com/articles/art005.html

Be careful, my friend! You have worked so hard and come so far. Don't mess it up now!

Mergatroid, I feel your pain. I have to give up sweets of all kinds, because once I start on sugars I cannot stop. Just know that by giving up popcorn, you are closer to your goal of being healthy. Isn't that worth the cost? For me the answer was easy, YES, the doing on the other hand is a bit more difficult. I'm with you in spirit, you can do it.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks for the support peeps. I've decided to "treat" myself to one day a week of having pop-corn. I miss it. I've given up all (wheat)flour, sugar, corn (it's genetically modified - except popcorn, which is non-GMO), soy (it's a goitrogenic food - and I am hypothyroid). I am eating healthier then I ever have before. I enjoy Nut thins, they are crackers made from nuts, so good, and not bad for you. I've also been re-learning how to bake. It's tricky, and more expensive, but so worth it. Everyone loves my protein muffins. Oh, and coconut oil is GOOD for you!! I've done a lot of research on it. Google it, you'll be pleasantly surprised! Now if I could just get you all here to kick me in the butt to get me out there exercising more,...

I use popcorn that has no fats or trans fats and I eat it once in a while. Never with butter. They make theses seasonings for plain popcorn. Protein is gotten many ways I still drink mine but have slowed down to see how I am doing diet wise. I have a blood test coming up so I will know, Please chew popcorn thoroughly and avoid the kernels that means no handfuls. I eat one at a time. Last longer and I eat less. Good luck to you.

Back