• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op difficulties

ghancock

I am post op 3wks from gastric bypass. On top of starving due to full liquid diet I am having such problems with gas. Has anyone else had these problems. After every sip of water I belch. Hate it. Water doesnt even taste good anymore. I can't even chew sugar free gum due to te alcohol sugar causing me to dump. I am eating plain oatmeal with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray and splenda, cream of wheat, instant mashed potatoes. Oh and sugar free popsicles. I do not have any energy at all and feel nauseous all the time but not enough to throw up. Anyway, any advise would be great.
Thanks so much,
Glenda:(

Hi,
I'm 6 days out and having similar problems, though I had the sleeve. No energy, but found out through others on the forum this is to be expected. Not sure how long it lasts. I cannot tolerate plain water either. I have a "burning" sensation when I drink certain fluids and water is one of the worst. Still a lot of gas, again was told to expect this but not how long it lasts. I hope your problems resolve soon but I don't think they are too out of the ordinary from what I've learned on this site.
K

Welcome to the forum amd congratulations on having your surgery. A lot of gas is normal and will get better eventually. You can take Gas-Ex or a gereric equivelant which is MUCH less expensive. Gas-Ex will help but not totally eliminate the problem. You can also have have lactaze enzymes if you are lactose intolerant. Since you are 2 weeks post-op you should be close to starting the next phase of your meal plan and should start feeling less hungry once you do. Protein will curb those hunger pangs so try protein shakes. Just sip them very slowly and try thinning them out a little with some water or milk if they seem too thick for you to swallow. Being nauseous is also normal but if it is happening all the time you should call the surgeon. There are a lot of people on this forum who have problems with water and did better with warm beverages and protein drinks. You absolutely MUST stay hydrated or you will find yourself in the ER on IV fluids. Ounce for ounce protein drinks, Jello and popsicles count towards your fluid goal (low carb / sugar free).

The lack of energy is normal and is happening because you are healing from major surgery, losing weight and consuming very few calories. Your energy will start to come back in 2 or 3 months depending on your age, general health, diet and how much rest you are getting. Make protein your priority, shoot for 60 grams a day minimum in order to heal properly, gain strength and energy and to keep from losing organ and muscle tissue. And you MUST sleep and take naps as this too will help you recover much quicker.

Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Welcome to the forum amd congratulations on having your surgery. A lot of gas is normal and will get better eventually. You can take Gas-Ex or a gereric equivelant which is MUCH less expensive. Gas-Ex will help but not totally eliminate the problem. You can also have have lactaze enzymes if you are lactose intolerant. Since you are 2 weeks post-op you should be close to starting the next phase of your meal plan and should start feeling less hungry once you do. Protein will curb those hunger pangs so try protein shakes. Just sip them very slowly and try thinning them out a little with some water or milk if they seem too thick for you to swallow. Being nauseous is also normal but if it is happening all the time you should call the surgeon. There are a lot of people on this forum who have problems with water and did better with warm beverages and protein drinks. You absolutely MUST stay hydrated or you will find yourself in the ER on IV fluids. Ounce for ounce protein drinks, Jello and popsicles count towards your fluid goal (low carb / sugar free).

The lack of energy is normal and is happening because you are healing from major surgery, losing weight and consuming very few calories. Your energy will start to come back in 2 or 3 months depending on your age, general health, diet and how much rest you are getting. Make protein your priority, shoot for 60 grams a day minimum in order to heal properly, gain strength and energy and to keep from losing organ and muscle tissue. And you MUST sleep and take naps as this too will help you recover much quicker.

Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.
I was advanced to full liquids at my post op apt a 9 days ago but not helping me much. I cannot drink portein drinks due to the need to throw them back up.lol My surgeon is not concerned with me getting protein but I am. I ordered isopure unflavored to see if I can tolerate it. I am just having a hard time with everything just about. It all makes me want to vomit. My surgeon will keep me on full liquids a month. I feel like that is extreme. I have read alot of medical info on the diet and it alot are advanced to pureed at 2 wks. I dont know. This is just miserable. I appreciate the feed back. Thank you

Ghancock-The reason your surgeon is keeping you on full liquids longer is because you are not tolerating them well enough to progress to pureed foods yet. The 2 weeks between each meal plan phase is just an average and is not meant to be a "one size fits all". Until your tiny new (and angry) pouch heals enough to tolerate pureed foods you are sort of stuck where you are at. Although the focus should be on proteins the plain truth is that some people just can't handle them at first and unfortunately you are one of those people for now. I promise things will get better. If you contiune to throw everything up you need to be persistent with your surgeon and set up an appointment. Not to scare you and not to say this is what is needed but you may have to have the opening from your pouch to your small intestine opened up more to allow the "food" to pass through. If it's too small it will cause everything to back up and will result in continuous vomiting. Only your surgeon will know for sure if this is what is causing all of the vomiting you are having. Know that continuous vomiting is serious and will cause you to become dehydrated so you need to take control of the situation and keep your surgeon informed of your condition.

Back