• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post surgery and family

NMEast

Could any of you, who have had surgery already, tell me how you deal with meals for the rest of the family?

I just cook them stuff they are use to eating. Sometimes I will have a very small portion of their dinner, and most of the time I will make myself some salmon, or something else. Sometimes its hard, but its not like they will cook for themselves. So I have to cook. And I have done well. I use to have to "sample" everything I cook. But I have learned to not do that.

My family eats what I cook. I cook healthy meals salmon, chili, anything in a slow cooker and backed chicken with vegetables and fruits. The one difference is that I still make rolls and other carbs for them. I eat much less but it takes the same amount of time so we still all eat together. I have made it a point not to make myself feel punished. I don't want to gain everything back in a few years so I wanted life commitment type change we could all live with. When cravings are small and I am feeling really chipper I may bake a cake or something but it is thrown away if not eaten that day :).

I am a lucky person in that my family if very supportive

More questions: When you are cooking, do you taste to see how it's going? I cater a dinner on Wednesday nights and I sometimes fix recipes I have never fixed before. I have to taste, even small tastes, to tell how it's working together. Will that be a problem?

I'm counting calories and recording my meals. That's what keeps me on track. I don't have kids, but my husband and I aren't eating too differently most days than we were before my surgery. We'd both done Weight Watchers online a few years ago and liked several recipes, so we keep a binder of those that we use a lot. Other than that, I focus on what my protein will be for each meal and add my vegetable or fruit. For my husband, I've bought some individual servings of rice or mashed potatoes so on night when I don't want those, he has something that "sticks with" him a little longer than what I need. Good luck!

Back