• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre admission testing

mergatroid

I had my pre-admission testing and physical done yesterday. My surgery is on November 28th. They gave me two bottles of an antiseptic cleanser
that I am to shower with daily for the five days leading up to surgery. I've never heard of this. Has anyone else done this? What's the point if you
are allowed to use lotions, powder, perfume, deodorant and what not? Got a goody bag full of different protein shakes, that was cool. It also had
samples of chewable vitamins that say they have everything a wls patient needs. Is that even possible? I also got questioned a lot about why I feel
I need the surgery, "because you don't look that big"! I've worked very hard at losing weight before the surgery and now people don't believe I "need" it.
How rude.

Good morning Mergatroid,

The reason you need to shower with the antiseptic soap is because the effects of the antiseptic last for a period of time. For example if you work in surgery and have scrubbed in within certain number of hours your scrub the next time will be for less minutes. I can't remember from when I did (45 years ago) and I am sure the time between scrubs has changed. But the special and newer antibiotic soaps do not just cleanse the skin, they also hinder bacterial growth for a certain number of hours. Pay particular attention to folds in the skin and wherever you perspire heavily. My showers were every twelve hours for three showers with a good antiseptic soap of my choice.

Good luck as you continue on this journey.

Joy

I have heard about differant places doing it that way. We are differant here. Differant places have differant ways of doing it. You will be fine.

I have been stocking up on protein powders and samples. I will pick up my protein jello when I get the surgery date in writing-can get them from Amazon-Great for clear liquid and full liquid stages-get your fluid and protein in at the same time.

Carol

Carol, I just got a pkg in the mail today from UNJURY. I ordered a canister of unflavored protein powder and their sample pkg. They even threw in a little Rubber-Maid bottle and a thermometer!
The sample pack has two envelopes of each flavor. I'm getting excited!

Mergatroid-I was given a surgical scrub brush that was pre-loaded with antiseptic. I had to use it the morning of surgery to scrub the area from below my breasts to my pelvis for a full 5 minutes. It must have worked since I didn't have any problems with infection in my small incisions.

Don't worry about what anyone else has to say regarding if you need the surgery or not since it's not their business. You know the reasons why you are putting yourself through this, and besides that, if you didn't qualify your insurance wouldn't have approved you, your PCP wouldn't have "signed off" and the surgeon wouldn't do the surgery.

Hi Mergatroid. I had to do the antiseptic scrub before I left to the hospital the morning of my surgery, they all do things a little different, just go with the flow. As for your friends don't worry about what they say, if a conventional weight loss plan had worked for us the first, second or third time we tried them we wouldn't have had to make this decision, but they didn't work. Your doing a great job so hang in there. :cool: Tom

Thanks you guys. It's nice to know you're out there and on my side. I don't always post on your threads but I do read them. I enjoy the camaraderie on this site. It's very comforting. I hope someday I can
repay your kindnesses. In the meantime...(((hugs))).

The sample packets are good as if you don't care much for one flavor after your surgery you are not stuck with a whole container of the stuff.
One of the things my Team mentioned on their lists for the 1st and 2nd week is protein jello-get your protein and fluid in at the same time. They have them at Amazon-Protein Gems-have 20-23 grams of protein per jello (they are in single serve). I also picked up Isopure -for the clear liquid. Gives you the fluid and protein. There are also the small protein shots out there. I would try them first before surgery. I purchased a single one just to taste and I won't be getting that one. However there are other brands out there and I will try one more. If I can find one that I can actually stomach the taste-I will make popsicles out of it as well. Also for popsicles I will get something like sugar free gatorade-or something like it sugar free that has the electrolytes in it.
Our list of what we will have in the hospital before we leave and the first week on is Carnation Instant Breakfast-Sugar Free. You can always up the protein a little by adding some protein powder to it if you wanted to.

All this is exciting. My Pulmonary Function Evaluation is coming up on Nov 20th-that is the last of the requirements. My last PA visit before surgery is on Dec 4th. So, I should be getting my date around then. They say the surgery will be around the end of Dec-but, I will feel better once I have the date in writing.

Yours is coming up soon!! Congrats!!!

Carol

Wow, thanks for all the info Carol. There sure is a lot to think about isn't there. My husband and I no longer eat anything with wheat in it and he is lactose intolerant so grocery shopping is not fun. I find
I spend more time reading labels than actually picking out food. Oh well, we feel better so it's worth it, right?:)

Good luck guys. You're almost on this side of it!

i had to big antiseptic wipes I had to use after my shower that had to be the night before surgery. I was not allowed to shower the day of.

I just did what they said. Pat said it right about getting the folds real good. I am so excited for you!

Here in NC they didn't have me do a surgical scrub of any kind. I took my shower the morning of surgery. No problems at all. No infections either. Interesting the differences from one place to another.

Yesterday at the Pre Op appt I did receive a bottle of disinfectant soap to sue for 3 days previous to the surgery from neck to pubis and then legs, "none on face of private parts". IT is felt it will help prevent infection AND I would suggest that you DO NOT use lotions etc anywhere near your tummy for a week or so before your surgery. Some bottles of lotions are full of bacteria that normally do not bother us because we have intact skin but we are going to have incisions(3-5) and instruments pushed through those incisions(holes) so if bacteria on skin it could get pushed into the abdominal cavity!!!. They do wash your belly with antiseptic but why add anything that can add a problem and infection. NO LOTIONS ETC FOR A WEEK OR MORE ON BELLY, LEGS OR ARMS. Remember you are going to have an IV placed and again bacteria on skin being pushed into your blood system is NOT what you want.
Mergatroid good luck on your surgery tomorrow, wash well with the antiseptic, have a great surgery and let us know how you are doing as soon as you can. I am right behind you next Monday so we are in this together!!

Back